Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Any word on whether combat will be Real Time like previous BG games or Turn Based like the Divinity games?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Any word on whether combat will be Real Time like previous BG games or Turn Based like the Divinity games?

Confirmed real time same as previous BG games. They've also added multiplayer as an option, but all characters will have a story. So you won't be a random in the main persons game.

“You’re going to be given tough challenges. You’re going to be given a world that reacts to the decisions that you make. You’ll be asked to make very tough decisions. You’ll have companions to deal with that will have opinions about those decisions. You’ll be given many, many systems — more than in Original Sin II — to fool around with and experiment and exploit, and hopefully to exterminate the foe that’s trying to go after you. That’s pretty much the philosophy. We want it to be so that you can play in either single-player or in multiplayer, like we did in Original Sin II. If you play it in multiplayer, each of you should be a hero with their own story. It’s very much the party as a whole that’s going to be the focus of this game. That’s probably the biggest difference between Original Sin and Baldur’s Gate 3.

“The slogan for Baldur’s Gate III is ‘Gather Your Party.’ The party is very central to it.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I hope that Larian can improve the real-time pause experience. Turn based is just so much more smooth and transparent. Reloading and going through logs to see WTF prevented you from doing something is supremely annoying.

Been doing that a lot in Kingmaker.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Confirmed real time same as previous BG games. They've also added multiplayer as an option, but all characters will have a story. So you won't be a random in the main persons game.

Heed the true battle cry of the series.

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH.

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'd be perfectly fine with real time with pause if they gave you an option to set the speed of combat. Pathfinder Kingmaker gives you an option to slow things down to something like a bullet time. I'd be happy with a setting to scale it from 50-100% speed.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
About 5 minutes in:

Motherfucking Mindflayer invasion

Nah. BG is my backup games I play when the internet is down and I'm down to a generator. I'll take a way way off wait and see.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so, a year or so ago, wizards starting talking about illithids. they were just giving some background information on them, where they came from, what they want, stuff like that. they also introduced a little bit of spelljammer content into the dungeon of the mad mage module a little bit later... in retrospect, this would have happened a little bit of time after they met with larian games and agreed to let them make bg3.

maybe this is all just coincidence... but bg 1 and 2 are considered canon... how awesome would it be if the bg3 resulted in spelljammer 5e ruleset?

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Together? Clearly they do not know about the Druid Solo build, the Kensai/Mage solo build (my favorite), the Barbarian solo build.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The strongholds in BG2 were one of my favorite elements of that game. I always like it when RPGs include things like class-specific content--things that make classes more than just a bundle of abilities--and BG2 was one of the first places where I had seen that sort of class-specific content. If I were to start wishlisting things for BG3, those sorts of class strongholds would at the top of my list.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I expect great things. Original Sin II hit it out of the park but they have some massive shoes to fill and I believe they can certainly do it. Day one purchase for me without question.

• 3Like

j00t

yeah, i was talking to a friend about it. i'm not sure if i'd be as excited as i am if another studio was doing it. i can't really think of any studio that i'd feel comfortable in pulling this off

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
CDPR would be one I'd trust with it, but yeah, there aren't many that have the potential to pull this off correctly

• 1Solidarity

Randin

Trakanon Raider
CDPR would be one I'd trust with it, but yeah, there aren't many that have the potential to pull this off correctly
You know, in the vein of the Witcher games, I actually really wouldn't mind a DnD game based around you playing as a single character, rather than a party (not for Baldur's Gate, probably as something entirely new). If nothing else, it would at least mean that you wouldn't have to mentally juggle the spell lists for your wizard, cleric, and druid simultaneously, was well as your melee characters. It would also open up options for including utility abilities that don't translate so well to a party-based isometric game (flight spells, for instance).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

i was thinking about cdpr, but they don't have any history in crpg type games... i mean i imagine they'd do the work to make the system functional, but larian has done PLENTY of crpg games, i know they know how to make the system work, you know?

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You know, in the vein of the Witcher games, I actually really wouldn't mind a DnD game based around you playing as a single character, rather than a party (not for Baldur's Gate, probably as something entirely new). If nothing else, it would at least mean that you wouldn't have to mentally juggle the spell lists for your wizard, cleric, and druid simultaneously, was well as your melee characters. It would also open up options for including utility abilities that don't translate so well to a party-based isometric game (flight spells, for instance).

Original sin 2 had flight spells.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm incredibly excited about this. The next few years are going to be a gaming orgasm for me. BG:3, the Vampire sequel, Wasteland 3, and obviously 2077.

• 2Like