Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There is a Misty Step amulet you pick up somewhere early on that is clutch for that. Lae’zel gets it as a goth passive and it has made her one of my go to melee party members for that reason.
My PC is a duergar and I have the amulet. But I think I may need to make Lae'zel into a rogue or something (currently she's a bard) for this reason.The AI on range mobs seems to immediately target casters and stuff too. Which is annoying.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
With respect to melee getting in range...
There are some boots that grant you double base movement as a bonus action effect. I put those on Karlach and she's zipping around the battlefield like a cricket on crack

In general Larian has done things with magic items in particular that I feel Wizards of the Coast could learn from. D&D 5e has been overly influenced by Chris Perkins and his whole 'magic abilities are plentiful, magic items are scarce' mentality. I find myself with a ton of magic items but with a variety of augmentations and abilities that are synergistic in a fun way rather than just 'Longsword + 2 & Scale Mail + 1'

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With respect to melee getting in range...
There are some boots that grant you double base movement as a bonus action effect. I put those on Karlach and she's zipping around the battlefield like a cricket on crack

In general Larian has done things with magic items in particular that I feel Wizards of the Coast could learn from. D&D 5e has been overly influenced by Chris Perkins and his whole 'magic abilities are plentiful, magic items are scarce' mentality. I find myself with a ton of magic items but with a variety of augmentations and abilities that are synergistic in a fun way rather than just 'Longsword + 2 & Scale Mail + 1'

Those boots and the helm that gives +3 momentum charges at the start of a fight are great for the melee. I put them on lae'zael so she can move around. Also iirc there is a ring that give an extra +3m movement. Also minor illusion is a great way to get things like archers to all group up on a spot before you start combat, if you can get it.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
- Everyone has a British accent or whatever when very few people did in BG1/2.
This is the part that bugs me the most.

That and the constant faggotry like the bug bear scene and that Astarion rogue who talks like a stereotypical fag, like Milo Yannopolis with a thick british accent.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your monk unarmed attacks don't rise in damage as you level like in tabletop? Maybe I'm missing something. The one thing I'm seeing is I think if you spec for a weapon, it's now considered a monk weapon? Is it possible to spec for martial weapons and override that lack of damage progression?

Monks just seem wonky compared to what I'm used to from 5e. Maybe I'm just blind, but it's definitely doesn't seem the same as tabletop.

Also, is the only way to increase your stats is by forgoing a feat, or choosing a feat with a stat bump. I bought every four levels in 5e, you got staff points that you could allocate on top of earning a feat. Find you it's been a couple years since I played tabletop, but I'm almost positive that wasn't the case there.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
They turned the stat increase into a feat, but it still functions the exact same. You had to choose between stats and feat, and still do. Monks also start at 1d8 with fists instead of 1d6 as they do in standard 5e, so they start stronger now but don't scale as high.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Break

Someone should make a gag mod for this game, all it does is add "... if you can ever manage to land a hit." to every damage ability.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Meh just got in a fight and after Lae'zel has a dialogue line my combat is broken, the only option I have is to press space to skip which does nothing but it's her turn so I can't advance the combat at all, have to reload game. Luckily I autosaved like 5 minutes before the fight but still very annoying.

j00t

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your monk unarmed attacks don't rise in damage as you level like in tabletop? Maybe I'm missing something. The one thing I'm seeing is I think if you spec for a weapon, it's now considered a monk weapon? Is it possible to spec for martial weapons and override that lack of damage progression?

Monks just seem wonky compared to what I'm used to from 5e. Maybe I'm just blind, but it's definitely doesn't seem the same as tabletop.

Also, is the only way to increase your stats is by forgoing a feat, or choosing a feat with a stat bump. I bought every four levels in 5e, you got staff points that you could allocate on top of earning a feat. Find you it's been a couple years since I played tabletop, but I'm almost positive that wasn't the case there.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
for monk stuff, larian said that any weapon you are proficient in is now considered a monk weapon. so, gith are naturally proficient in greatswords, which means if you play a gith monk, greatswords are now monk weapons (which is kind of insane, honestly, but it's a lot more straightforward so i get why they did it).

as for the stat/feat stuff, in 5e every 4 levels in a class (with certain exceptions, rogues and fighters get extra intervals) gets an ASI (ability score improvement). in the players handbook feats are technically considered variant rules. in this variant ruling, instead of taking an ASI, you can choose to take an approved feat. though, honestly i've never heard of any game NOT using feats... maybe adventure league stuff which tends to be pretty strict on ruling, but i don't know.

putting those paragraphs together would mean that if you took the "weapon master" feat as a monk, you'd gain 4 monk weapons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Act3 spoiler question:

The evil archduke says someone in your camp is an imposter but I don't see any way to actually act on that or investigate it all?

I assume it's this stupid kid that showed up but no matter how much I rest I can't get anything to trigger regarding any of this

I've run into a few of these strings that never get solved - The kid is a massive red herring and on my playthrough, I got word someone was in camp as an imposter and then the girl literally disappears, the cat if you talk to it says something like "I'm afraid, yes I'm just a regular cat" and it never resolves. The girl leaves camp, never comes back and then I rolled credits. For as much fun as I had with this game - which was a lot of fun - the ending "payoffs" felt rushed and not satisfying at all. So typical Larian I guess.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I don't have D&D experience outside of playing Never Winter Nights

What is the best Combat CC class, like not dialogue related Charm, but actual Charm?

Is that still Bard?

Just reading up on your guys stuff that Artillerist class sounded fun, but isn't even in this game(?)

I'd like to recreate the D2 Trap Assassin, (or FFT Calculator) but since that doesn't sound possible, The Storm Sorcerer, or Spore Druid sound promising

Don't know if this is still relevant:

but this sounds cool, sans playing as a Dragon Person, not playing a faggot Beast Race, or fucking tiny person for that matter

Last edited:

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Thanks guys. I think that covered everything I was confused about. The weapon proficiency deal and the way feats are handled was throwing me off, and I started to think I didn't remember tabletop.

I went human, because I always play a white man, so does that mean the militia proficiencies now count as monk weapons despite the tool tip saying you don't get your bonuses if it's a heavy or two-handed weapon? If I took a level in fighter, would that open up a ton of possibilities for all the weapons I would want? It's just really odd. Also don't think it's worth the investment to go monk all the way to 12, is all you get is the feat at the end, so I was looking around using those two other levels for something else.

I really wish within the game it actually showed the entire progression tree kind of like in Pathfinder WotR. The ability to just see the entire progression of a class or subclass is really handy when trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Break

I really, really, really hate D&D rulesets in video games.

I'm going to give my Steam review a 1 star no matter how many hours I play or how much i like it otherwise and tell them to make DOS3 next time.

Edit: Cry more, trans bugbears!

Last edited:
  • 8Faggotry
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 12 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

I'm going to give my Steam review a 1 star no matter how many hours I play or how much i like it otherwise and tell them to make DOS3 next time.
The Rock Reaction GIF

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

I mean, I dislike the D&D ruleset too, but nobody is going against you for the captain of the color guard for the pride parade here, you can ease up on the homo.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 3 users

Break

I mean, I dislike the D&D ruleset too, but nobody is going against you for the captain of the color guard for the pride parade here, you can ease up on the homo.
1 and 5 star reviews are all that matter, for any kind of product review system.

j00t

I don't have D&D experience outside of playing Never Winter Nights

What is the best Combat CC class, like not dialogue related Charm, but actual Charm?

Is that still Bard?

Just reading up on your guys stuff that Artillerist class sounded fun, but isn't even in this game(?)

I'd like to recreate the D2 Trap Assassin, (or FFT Calculator) but since that doesn't sound possible, The Storm Sorcerer, or Spore Druid sound promising

Don't know if this is still relevant:

but this sounds cool, sans playing as a Dragon Person, not playing a faggot Beast Race, or fucking tiny person for that matter

i skimmed that reddit post, but it all seemed spot on.

"the best" dnd anything is generally going to be pretty subjective. but there are a couple of generalized things you want to keep in mind. CC spells like hold person, charm, hideous laughter, banish, etc are all DC based. which means that in order to afflict creatures they need to make a saving throw and beat the spell's DC (difficulty chance) which is based on who is casting (or what, if it's a scroll or an item, usually those have their own specific DC, but larian may have cut that aspect out, i haven't noticed). spell DC is 8+proficiency+spell casting modifier. so a lvl 1 wizard with 16 INT is going to have a spell DC of 13. this is why it's important to have a high spell casting stat.

a sorcerer however gets metamagic, and one of the metemagic options is "heightened spell" which gives creatures disadvantage on spell saves, so TECHNICALLY the best caster, DC wise is going to be a sorcerer. however, wizards obviously get the most varied options in spells. bards (especially lore bards) are good because a lot of their spells are utility and cc type spells, and they can also use... uh, i think cutting words? or silvery barbs? (is that spell in this game? i don't know, i don't play bards) to give disadvantage on spells saves so that's helpful.

"the best" almost always comes down to the specific situation.

and "artillerist" is a subclass of artificers, which are not in the game. larian wanted to focus on the things in the player's handbook and make sure they could get all that in before adding anything from later books and 5e introduced artificers several years down the road.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

They fulfill an important role in the tabletop ecosystem. They allow players to murderhobo around on the most broken bullshit they can cobble together without anyone at a table having to put up with that nonsense.

Break

They fulfill an important role in the tabletop ecosystem. They allow players to murderhobo around on the most broken bullshit they can cobble together without anyone at a table having to put up with that nonsense.
One thing I don't like about D&D is all the weird conditionals that item upgrades get.

Longsword + 1 - fine
Longsword of Burninating - Adds 1d4 fire damage to peasants if wielder is named Trogdor. Weapons that are almost certainly worse than a +1 most of the time.
Staff of Wizbanging - does double damage to Gender Fluids and Otherkins on their "periods". Weapons that are useful for like 1% of the game.

Ok i'll shut up now and let you cool kids enjoy the D&D, don't mind me.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users