Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Goonsquad Officer
I haven't looked in to it with BG III, but for tabletop 5e, Mage Armor counts as armor and Unarmored Defense only works if the Barbarian isn't wearing any armor.

Mage Armor: The target's base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier.

Unarmored Defense: While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.

Normally, when you have two competing armor calculations the player chooses which to take. Obviously, everyone is going to choose the best option and I assume that's what's happening in BG III.
Some versions of dnd mage armor works with naked dude bonuses. Does it not in 5th?

Goonsquad Officer
Why does everyone think this gay game is the second coming of video game jesus what the fuck

Basically we are a solid decade into turds laced with micro transactions, season passes, and mmo-ization. This is like an oasis for normal gamers (who enjoy rpgs). Basically just like what elden ring do. And zelda do.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
H
No, Mage Armor doesn't stack with a Monk's inherent AC.
Haste AC bonus does, doesn't it, but I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head. It's different than mage armor. Or does it not give an AC bonus? Hell I can't remember.

Doesn't a spell or an item have to specifically state that it stacks or doesn't stack with particular defensive bonuses. I think that's why natural armor works differently as well.

You're the expert, just trying to remember what the differences are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In 5e, each point of Armor Class is the single-most impactful statistic because of 5e's bounded accuracy system. In fact, there are very, very few NPCs with AC higher than 23. ~80% of monsters have an AC between 14-19.

There are still a few ways for players to cheese ridiculously high ACs, but the vast majority of those situations include multi-classing and that's one of the many reasons why I don't allow multi-classing in my games (unless it makes sense for a characters arc).

In previous editions you could stack bonuses to attack, AC, etc. from a million different sources. The advantage/disadvantage mechanic was introduced to replace a lot of those modifiers because figuring out the factors for each roll really slowed the game down.

Obviously, there are still bonuses beyond adv/disadv, but they're far less prevalent and it speeds up gameplay tremendously. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than the unmanageable bloat of D&D 3.x and PF 1e.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Monk should have a 25 AC at level 2 or something or it’s gay
With 25 AC you'd almost never be hit until you started facing ~CR 15 creatures and even then it'd only be a ~50% chance to be hit. That's assuming no other factors involved in the combat.

The AC, attack, etc. calculations from older editions are not even close to the numbers in 5e.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Basically we are a solid decade into turds laced with micro transactions, season passes, and mmo-ization. This is like an oasis for normal gamers (who enjoy rpgs). Basically just like what elden ring do. And zelda do.
yeah but it's gay as fuck.

• 1Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1691633967799.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Don't you have an MTGA cube to draft, or maybe cut your dick off to become the lesbian you claim to be (all pretty fucking gay by the way).

I'd say go cut your tits off, but we all know they're just man-boobs. I guess with your mom being gone, you got other things to be salt and vinegar about now.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I killed that vampire idiot the other day after...

Act 2 spoilers:
He revealed he wanted to take control of the worm controlled army in Faerûn. As if I needed anymore reasons to kill him.

I also save scummed it to make Shadowheart see the error of her ways. The moon chick is pretty cool.

The stupid wizard for some reason thought we were an item, and was disappointed I hooked up with Shadowheart. Just showing my character the weave means I want to fuck him. WTF?!?!

I still loathe the D&D spell system. It doesn't belong in a video game though it is better from past games. It always seems like Cale is out of spells to cast other than his cantrips a little more than halfway through fights. Though maybe I'm just bad at playing spell casters in these games.

I did also rerolled Shadowheart into a life cleric. It's a huge improvement over her trickery spec.