Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rime

<Donor>
The realms is just a bit of everything. It is also a 'hub' world that most of the others touch on or connect to from various points. It was my second setting (My first was Ravenloft - talk about being tossed into the deep end) and the one I fell in love with.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
spellplague resulted in chult and dragonborn, so it wasn't all bad.

j00t

The realms is just a bit of everything. It is also a 'hub' world that most of the others touch on or connect to from various points. It was my second setting (My first was Ravenloft - talk about being tossed into the deep end) and the one I fell in love with.

ha yeah. i hadn't played pen and paper in FOREVER and was just doing rando solo dungeons with a friend. then an old friend decided to tell everyone that he's a super closet d&d nerd and needs some players so he can get back into dm'ing. he's like, let's do curse of strahd. YEAH THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN!! ... WHY IS EVERYTHING SO SAD

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Oh man. Ravenloft was an entire campaign setting, the Demiplane of Dread. All gothic horror, all super terrible. Had specific rules as well... Madness Checks (Things that can permanently alter your character), Terror Checks (Penalties for witnessing horrific things), rules about being Corrupted by the Dark Powers... not to mention, if you are Good Aligned, there are MANY beings on the plane that will seek you out to murder you/corrupt you just for the joy of it.

We spent three and a half years (real time) trying to escape from the setting. From going through Strahd's castle, waging a war against Lord Soth, and finally the resurrection of Vecna and his ascension to Godhood allowed us to 'escape' in his wake... which also spat us out into the Forgotten Realms, which was not happy to discover we had a hand in unleashing an Ancient Lich and helping it Ascend.

---

Recently, have been playing lots on Roll20, with a few friends and more strangers. Sadly, there are not a whole lot of campaigns set up for it... so everyone wanting to do LMoP or the Tiamat series is sort of a letdown, having done them repeatedly now.

• 1Like

j00t

we use fantasy grounds. my second group is running tomb of annihilation, but my main group is almost exclusively homebrewed. even when we did curse of strahd it was like, 60% altered. strahd was the the good guy. really interesting take on it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'll be odd man out. I like the fantasy aspect, of different people with different abilities kililng other people and working around them and such. Never cared for the non human aspect. A person/octupus mix. I dunno about that. I'm sure most people like it.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
SJW retard working on the game. Just a heads-up, but never encouraging. If you have no clue what any of those tweets mean, I can't really catch you up on the GamerGate thread here.

person directly worked with zoe quinn too

• 1Barf

j00t

I'll be odd man out. I like the fantasy aspect, of different people with different abilities kililng other people and working around them and such. Never cared for the non human aspect. A person/octupus mix. I dunno about that. I'm sure most people like it.

well, i don't think you're necessarily the odd man out. human are almost always the most played pc's, and generally the most common npc's (unless you're doing a campaign in some foreign place like the underdark or astral sea or something). and i understand why, humans are easily the most relatable right out of the gate. we've lived our whole lives as and with humans so it's completely familiar.

that being said, i hate cities. i hate any game that takes place in a city. anytime an rpg goes into a city i just... everything turns to white noise and i can't focus on anything and i just want to run out. i'm not like that in real life, but games turn me into an autist or something. unless it's a dwarven city, or an elven city, or a goblin city or an illithid city. something about the UNfamiliarity of it really draws me in.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Apparently the original Baldur's Gate trilogy of novels has been deemed non-cannon, and the book "A murder in Baldur's Gate" seems to be setting the cannon story ground for this game.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
well, i don't think you're necessarily the odd man out. human are almost always the most played pc's, and generally the most common npc's (unless you're doing a campaign in some foreign place like the underdark or astral sea or something). and i understand why, humans are easily the most relatable right out of the gate. we've lived our whole lives as and with humans so it's completely familiar.

that being said, i hate cities. i hate any game that takes place in a city. anytime an rpg goes into a city i just... everything turns to white noise and i can't focus on anything and i just want to run out. i'm not like that in real life, but games turn me into an autist or something. unless it's a dwarven city, or an elven city, or a goblin city or an illithid city. something about the UNfamiliarity of it really draws me in.

Que? BG1 and BG2 go all over the place.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I get the strangest urge to buy auto insurance or maybe it comes with the game if i preorder.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Please don't be woke. I just want to play video games.

• 8Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 10 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Original Sin 2 wasn't woke and that game was campy and silly a lot. That trailer was grimdark as fuck.

There is no room in the world for tranny mindflayers.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good stuff in this PCGamer article:

- 5th edition but modified for CRPG
- BhaalSpawn saga is ancient history, set in modern Forgotten Realms
- they have some hardcore D&D players at Larian who will "Lore Police"
- apparently Larian tried to get the rights to BG3 a while back but was rejected

The world's moved forward quite a bit since the last games, so instead of picking up where its predecessors left things, Baldur's Gate 3 is a brand new adventure set in the Forgotten Realms as it is today, where Bhaal's unruly kids are history. Not to worry, though, as Larian's got another crisis to fling at the unfortunate city.

There are a lot of people at Larian who play D&D and there are a lot of game sessions going on continuously, so that already makes it easier because we have the internal lore police. I'm the guy that usually tries to break it, but then I get the lore police on me. Usually that's sufficient, and our internal checks sometimes go further than Wizards of the Coast's.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Crunch aside, working developing a game like BG3 which would pretty much mandate a ton of in-office d&d sessions would be pretty fucking awesome

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lore Police lol. Think of the memes.

MOTHERFUCKER TELL ME YOU DIDN'T JUST GIVE THAT HALFLING CARSOMYR HOLY SWORD OF PALADINS?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
People are worried that Larian might make it too whimsical and I agree. But BG wasn't whimsy-free. The most popular character was a dude with a Space Hamster.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People are worried that Larian might make it too whimsical and I agree. But BG wasn't whimsy-free. The most popular character was a dude with a Space Hamster.
Yep. The trailer set the stage for it to be as dark as bg1/bg2 generally was, but I'm sure there will be some camp in it.