Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It should only consume 1 unless it's bugged. However, if you're a Lore Bard, Cutting Words uses it (and by default, the game uses it automatically.) There is an option to have it ask you if you want to use it instead of having it automatically be used (Hellish Rebuke and a lot of the other defensive reacts are the same way.) If you're College of Swords, the Flourishes also use Inspiration.
I see. I'll need to enable that it's definitely the cutting words thing.

Where do I set that?

Last edited:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
even that will fuck you from time to time. I've had a boss in melee range, and a 3 hp goon. and the goon started running, my guy reacted, murdered him for 25 damage, then when his turn rolled around, he just had his limp dick basic attack.
I always keep opportunity attack set to 'ask' for that reason. Not sure how it could have fucked your sneak attack though. Sneak attacks can apply to every single attack you make as long as you have advantage or the enemy is threatened by someone else. If you're ever unclear on how well your rogue is doing in combat you can always set sneak attack to 'ask' too and you will see exactly when you're getting the bonus.

Edit: Yeah, that was just completely wrong.
I see. I'll need to enable that it's definitely the cutting words thing.

Where do I set that?
Easiest way is to click on one of the icons above the far right end of your action bar. As long as they all have a chat balloon "..." overlay you're good to go, that means it's set to 'ask'.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
I always keep opportunity attack set to 'ask' for that reason. Not sure how it could have fucked your sneak attack though. Sneak attacks can apply to every single attack you make as long as you have advantage or the enemy is threatened by someone else.

Easiest way is to click on one of the icons above the far right end of your action bar. As long as they all have a chat balloon "..." overlay you're good to go, that means it's set to 'ask'.
it seems backstab is a hard 1/turn. i had 2 man advantage on a foe, and used fighter "take another attack bro" on my rogue and no backstab option. unless i missed something changing the setup between swings or some thing.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
even that will fuck you from time to time. I've had a boss in melee range, and a 3 hp goon. and the goon started running, my guy reacted, murdered him for 25 damage, then when his turn rolled around, he just had his limp dick basic attack.
Can't you set the prompt to ask?

Vorph

it seems backstab is a hard 1/turn. i had 2 man advantage on a foe, and used fighter "take another attack bro" on my rogue and no backstab option. unless i missed something changing the setup between swings or some thing.
Yeah, you're right. I guess I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning to make a brain fart like that. Never really thought of a situation like that, but I guess I'll keep sneak attack set to 'ask' full time too. I'd probably have allowed the opportunity attack in your situation without considering that it might use up the sneak attack too.

Goonsquad Officer
Yea i should prolly set it to prompt too. i just think it's strait up gay that 5th edition has the hard limit of 1/turn. vs the chad 3.5 pathfinder 1 where you're just a blender of fistsfull of dice with both hands, using any weapon yo ucan put in it. then virgin 5th edition is like "only finesse" "oh and once a turn" "oh and you can't have disadvantage"..."the fighter with the great sword? nah she doesn't have any of those problems and will out dps you lols".

Vorph

Yea i should prolly set it to prompt too. i just think it's strait up gay that 5th edition has the hard limit of 1/turn. vs the chad 3.5 pathfinder 1 where you're just a blender of fistsfull of dice with both hands, using any weapon yo ucan put in it. then virgin 5th edition is like "only finesse" "oh and once a turn" "oh and you can't have disadvantage"..."the fighter with the great sword? nah she doesn't have any of those problems and will out dps you lols".
People are saying it's bugged too, and if you're a single-class purist and take rogue all the way to 11 you don't get the final bump to 6d6. Never tried it personally, imo anything past rogue 5 is a total waste when you could be getting real damage from berserker and/or fighter.

And the more I think about it, I realize it wasn't even a brain fart and I'd just been assuming 5e worked like Pathfinder rather than going full retard. Going forward I don't see any reason to ever play a rogue in something designed for max damage. 5 levels of warlock are superior in every way (at least as long as Deepened Pact stacks and haste flat out doubles your number of attacks). And if I need a skill monkey I'd much rather use a bard that can handle both dex and cha skills with relative ease. I like the Bard-specific conversation options way better too, at least the stuff I have been seen on both classes in act 1 anyway.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
oof i'll be mindful of that. my rogue build has worked pretty well for me. all the skills, human and medium armor feat, so i fight shield and medium armor with fancy armor from the underdark. 23 ac. went assassin. so basically no matter what i get to backstab at the start of a fight. if i can get the drop on some one i get to do it twice (once to start the fight, then once on the first round). an interesting quirk is that i found a dagger that silences my foe. so i get to just rape casters. i'm only around level 8 so i haven't hit the point of diminishing returns.

it does feel like a 2 hander fighter would be better overall. and with the games complete phobia for handing out +1 and +2 shields, any fighter could just have the cleric cast shield on them and 2 hander for very little draw back. the game does a great job of itemizing (better than 5th edition games i've played. with the exception of heavy armor. for some reason they'r fucking alergic to magic plate), but the shield itemization is really lame and 1h/shield doesn't keep pace with dope ass 2 handers i see around.

I'll likely ride the horse to the end though. i was really down on galecaster, but mid chapter 2 i really have come to appreciate how the wizard can tilt a fight at key moments, so...i'll see how rogue/assassin does overall. a massive ass failing of the assasin though is that there arn't any 'assassin' dialogue choices where you have some one in mid conversation and you just put a knife in their neck (starting combat with a sneak attack). i wanted to do that several times heh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Getting the jump on enemies and using the 2 surprised turns with an assassin can really help the situation. But at the end of the day straight Battlemaster is just so goddamn strong. Ranged or Melee trips/disarms and riposte destroy a lot of melee enemies. Double attacks per turn and so on. Its better than even Berserker IMO (but Berserker is hella fun).

Goonsquad Officer
yea my lei'zel is using the gith greatsword from late act 1, and a few items that add damage. the special heavy armor and she marauds around smashing shit, and punting people off of things. she's my tag team buddy with my assassin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
yea my lei'zel is using the gith greatsword from late act 1, and a few items that add damage. the special heavy armor and she marauds around smashing shit, and punting people off of things. she's my tag team buddy with my assassin.
Do you have the Alert Feat on her? It makes it so when your assassin opens up the fight she always has first initiative.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
7q9qvuplo7ib1.jpg

Swap Miranda et all for whatever gender Karlach and Jack (from Mass Effect 2) are.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
Do you have the Alert Feat on her? It makes it so when your assassin opens up the fight she always has first initiative.
i tend to go first, but great idea! i'll prolly take that next! i took medium armor and medium armor mastery so i can wear
adamantine medium armor

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
i tend to go first, but great idea! i'll prolly take that next! i took medium armor and medium armor mastery so i can wear
adamantine medium armor
Not on your character, on Lae'Zel so her follow up can be immediate while they are still surprised.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And this interaction I thought was odd.

Act 1 Underdark:
My PC is a Gith but he couldn't read the Githyanki tablets in the Arcane tower. Only Lae'Zel could.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
And this interaction I thought was odd.

Act 1 Underdark:
My PC is a Gith but he couldn't read the Githyanki tablets in the Arcane tower. Only Lae'Zel could.
That is pretty weird. You'd think there would be a racial interaction option.