Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea PC Gith are hinted at being abandoned/forgotten/not raised in the empire aren't they? Like they were born or grew up in faerun rather than the astral so they don't know most of the gith shit no?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
BTW for those of you which enjoy this game and never played the Patfinder games by owl cat, those are good too and worth a play through. Prolly can get them for cheap now too on steam. and if you enjoy building characters, well those games are like building character crack, plus they go up to lv 20 as well.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

gak

<Gold Donor>
Man, all these years I’ve been thinking I finally got my ass in gear and be responsible, hold down a job, take care of wife and kids etc. but really it was just that games just became shitty for a decade +. This past week I’ve gone full neckbeard like I was playing bg1 or eq or something again and my wife has gotten increasingly concerned
lol, I remember a guy had built a realistic cockpit to hide in when he played his flight sims, he said the best feature was a lock on the inside so the wife & kids couldn't bother him. If they peered through the glass he shot them the look:

s.jpg

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
BTW for those of you which enjoy this game and never played the Patfinder games by owl cat, those are good too and worth a play through. Prolly can get them for cheap now too on steam. and if you enjoy building characters, well those games are like building character crack, plus they go up to lv 20 as well.
Fucking character creation in wrath made my brain melt. I think I spent at least 2 hours there and still fucked it up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wrath is great but Pathfinder character multi-classing on crack is really tarded. I don't mind multi-classing in general but I lean a lot more towards playing as a purist in most cases.

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Wrath is great but Pathfinder character multi-classing on crack is really tarded. I don't mind multi-classing in general but I lean a lot more towards playing as a purist in most cases.
Yeah - I tend to agree. I don't mind that there are VIABLE multi class combos, but I don't like feeling that I am gimping myself without using it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Mentioned it before BG3 release, but the RPG Legends humble bundle is still going on for another day and a half or so. Gets you the EE editions of BG 1&2, PS:T, and NWN, plus Pathfinder WOTR for $12. WOTR alone normally goes on sale for $12 so that's a great deal. People living under a rock who never played Kingmaker can get the enhanced edition for $3.79 at Fanatical for the rest of the week, or $5 more for the imperial edition that includes all the DLCs. WOTR season pass 1 is 70% off at both Humble and Fanatical too.

Definitely not as polished as BG3 is, but being based on 3.5E rules instead of 5E makes up for some of that.

Yeah - I tend to agree. I don't mind that there are VIABLE multi class combos, but I don't like feeling that I am gimping myself without using it.
The same could be said for BG3 too though. Fighter and wizard are about the only classes I wouldn't feel like I gimped myself in a big way by taking to 12. Even then it's going to be a hard sell to take fighter 12 rather than a level of barb when I get there with Lae'zel. Maybe if I decide to go with a polearm-sentinel build for her, you kind of need 4 feats for that. Can't see any reason to deviate with Gale as a Div wizard though, even if the last feat is just an ASI.

Edit: Maybe druid too. Bearheart barb / Moon druid sounded cool on paper, then you realize that both Rage and Wild Shape are bonus actions and that kills it. Shapeshifting just sounds bad in general, the forms basically can't do shit besides attack. I'm sure fucking shit up with an enlarged owlbear dropping in from orbit is amusing for a while, but it's awful lacking in versatility. Spore sounds interesting though. Taking a level of wizard for scroll cheese is a no-brainer like for any caster, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if you decided not to.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Respec mods make character creation and mistakes while leveling in Pathfinder much less punishing.

Also, novices to Pathfinder don't need to (shouldn't) play the hardest two difficulties and a pure one-class-build party is fine for normal. Even on the hardest difficulty, you don't need to use the most OP/broken builds to win (it just takes more reloads when you party wipe).

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I meant to post this earlier but I kept forgetting. I have NO IDEA what you guys are doing to get asterion to be so enamored with you. At the druid celebration he told me that he was looking for some action and then IMMEDIATELY clarified that he was not looking for action with me, and that the thought was turning his stomach.

Ive spoken with him regularly and just answered his questions honestly, expecting him to jump on me at any moment, based on the responses here. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't let him bite me, but wasn't particularly upset with him, either. just told him to go find some animals.

I also have the highest rapport with gale, but he hasn't said anything to me in that way either, just that he's super happy to be on my team.

Halsin and wyll havn't shown any interest whatsoever.

Lae'zel keeps talking about how much she loves watching me sweat and murder, karlach is too afraid to touch me but absolutely wants to ride the pole (even going so far as to say she doesn't mind whatever thing I've got going on with lae'zel), and shadowheart talks about how ive changed her for the better, but is still worshipping shar. Pretty sure I have to get further to adjust her faith a bit before she'll act on anything with me.

Point is, all the women are into me, all the men are in the friendzone. I don't know what I did to set that up and how it's different than whatever you guys have done, but I'm happy with my choices

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I meant to post this earlier but I kept forgetting. I have NO IDEA what you guys are doing to get asterion to be so enamored with you. At the druid celebration he told me that he was looking for some action and then IMMEDIATELY clarified that he was not looking for action with me, and that the thought was turning his stomach.

Ive spoken with him regularly and just answered his questions honestly, expecting him to jump on me at any moment, based on the responses here. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't let him bite me, but wasn't particularly upset with him, either. just told him to go find some animals.

I also have the highest rapport with gale, but he hasn't said anything to me in that way either, just that he's super happy to be on my team.

Halsin and wyll havn't shown any interest whatsoever.

Lae'zel keeps talking about how much she loves watching me sweat and murder, karlach is too afraid to touch me but absolutely wants to ride the pole (even going so far as to say she doesn't mind whatever thing I've got going on with lae'zel), and shadowheart talks about how ive changed her for the better, but is still worshipping shar. Pretty sure I have to get further to adjust her faith a bit before she'll act on anything with me.

Point is, all the women are into me, all the men are in the friendzone. I don't know what I did to set that up and how it's different than whatever you guys have done, but I'm happy with my choices
In chapter 1 it felt like everyone was coming on strong. Even Hal when he gets into camp makes sexually suggestive comments if you exhaust his dialog. Maybe you are just autistic and don't pick it up!

Let see, for me:
  • Asterion didn't make it past the first time he tried to bite me, so no clue what happens with him after that.
  • I didn't talk with Hal much more after the "get to know him better" comment, or some such.
  • I thought I was just being nice with Gale and you get the "kiss him" dialog, which is immersion breaking.
  • Don't remember what Lae'zel said, but there was defiantly something suggestive at the start.
  • I knew I wasn't going to use Wyle this playthrough, so I purposely ignored him, then eventually perma killed him. Make a deal with demons and you get what you get!
  • Same deal with Karlach, I have been avoiding her, as I knew I wasn't going to use her in this playthrough, but yea, she said something about needing someone with fire resist when you first pick her up.
  • Jaheira hasn't said anything suggestive, which is nice, since she is an old lady!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is 5E tabletop borked in high levels too? Are there many reasons for this?
The math checks out all the way to max level, but things definitely get a lot more complicated for the DM when players get spells/abilities that can completely bypass or invalidate parts of the game they have prepared. Additionally, spells that are open-ended, subject to interpretation, contextual, etc. create a lot of headaches for the DM.

High-level play is a lot of fun and rewarding but it has a lot of challenges and I've experienced the downsides of several times. Here's a single, easy-to-explain, example:

A few years ago I had 'dungeon' in a volcanic region that the players were set to explore over a few sessions. However, before entering, the players used some very powerful divination spells to learn many of the details regarding the area. So, the Wizard in the group cast a few spells that re-shaped the surrounding geography and dumped a continuous stream of gushing lava through the entrance. Anything not completely immune to fire, strong enough to wade through a tidal wave of molten rock, and/or no need to breathe was destroyed. If anything did manage to survive the flow, it was trapped behind a literal mountain of cooling lava. Good game.

Point being, about an hour and a handful of spells negated 3-4 sessions of play. The work I put into creating that content wasn't necessarily lost because I just shelve the content when those situations happen.

Obviously, as the DM, you have all the tools to stop/prevent situations like the one I mentioned, but I think it goes against the spirit of the game unless what the players are trying to do is fundamentally destructive to the health of the campaign.

When a DM signs on to run a high-level campaign he has understand that he's going to face a lot of challenges and needs to be able to call a lot of audibles.

All that said, I definitely think that Larian could expand BG 3 (or a sequel) to max level. We've got historical examples. In fact, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is very recent. WotR is basically D&D 3.5e and it goes beyond level 20.

Certainly, some of the spells for an expanded BG 3 would require modification, but they've already done it for many of the spells in the game now. I firmly believe that fans of the game would be more than ok with 'nerfing' some of the high-level magic if it meant players got more of the same type of experience. I know I would be.

*edit* Fixed a couple typos.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5th made a lot of idiotic choices in the name of simplicity. Like one concentration at a time.
As been mentioned, that was more to bring casters back down to Earth from the God-status they had.

Melee characters simply could not compete with a caster that was sporting 10+ buff spells. Haste, Flight, Stoneskin, Protection from numerous energy types, and those are just a few of the middling buffs.

Things got truly retarded when spells like Simulacrum, Contingency, Clone, etc were involved.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I meant to post this earlier but I kept forgetting. I have NO IDEA what you guys are doing to get asterion to be so enamored with you.

They have underlying homosexual tendancies which the game is picking up on in their dialogue choices.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don’t remember that character, where did he join the group?
She's a cleric/mage sky elf in the circus right at the start of the game after you escape Irenicus. I think she's enslaved or something and you free her.

If you are a good male character and successfully navigate Jaheria being a bitch to her, Drow Queens demanding to fuck you and Vampires trying to kill her... she will give birth to your child which goes in her inventory and takes up weight/space.

Aerie_NAERIE_Portrait_BG2.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
She's a cleric/mage sky elf in the circus right at the start of the game after you escape Irenicus. I think she's enslaved or something and you free her.

If you are a good male character and successfully navigate Jaheria being a bitch to her, Drow Queens demanding to fuck you and Vampires trying to kill her... she will give birth to your child which goes in her inventory and takes up weight/space.

View attachment 486722
That's just tears of the kingdom link

• 1Worf