Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Goonsquad Officer
Anyone have a good and reliable mod that gets rid of encumbrance or makes items weightless?

The inventory management is not great in this game, and it feels like item weight is just a minor, but annoying, inconvenience rather than something with gameplay implications that forces the player to make meaningful choices.
Yea, the only meaningful thing it does is limit how much sweet selling heavy armor you can cart off to vendor

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
so far inventory management has been the most tedious thing, not terrible, but a mess

already thinking about another run through, haven’t even gotten enough time in to pass a1, tavern brawler throw Monk, zerker, or spore druid

sounds like multi classing fighter for surge, heavy armor at lvl 1 is the best option, rogue lvl3 for bonus option, but I like my monk to run around half naked punching things, that is how monk do. I guess I can make it “look” naked, but eh not the same. Eh… need to finish my living God Sorcerer run

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, the only meaningful thing it does is limit how much sweet selling heavy armor you can cart off to vendor

I basically send everything to camp, then when near a vendor, will send highest str party to camp, grab as much as possible, then pop out to vendor. Rinse repeat.

Only problem now though is the gold, I have to split it up across all the characters to even out the weight or keep 3/4 of it in camp.

I should probably just buy items now, instead of pick pocketing every thing for free.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have a good and reliable mod that gets rid of encumbrance or makes items weightless?

The inventory management is not great in this game, and it feels like item weight is just a minor, but annoying, inconvenience rather than something with gameplay implications that forces the player to make meaningful choices.
Mod Links. Be aware, some mods may require other mods (the weight limit and bags mods don't). More info below:

You can install mods manually, with a little extra work, but once you get enough of them I found it better to use BG3 Mod Manager, since some mods require a load order (I don't think any of the ones below would need a load order, if that's all you had)(Nexus also has it's own mod manager, called Vortex):​
Encumbrance: This mod will increase your carry limit until it doesn't matter. A whole bunch of options, from doubling it, to 20x, to more, but may bug out over 9000(?):​
Bag organization: This can help organize and you can just toss bags you don't want. Some items, such as arrows, bombs, books, and potions, will automatically go into the new bags when looted.​
Achievements: In case anyone is worried, you can re-enable Cheves with mods (read install instructions):​
5e Spells: Here is the PnP spells they have managed to get working so far:​
5e Feats: Here are the PnP Feats they managed to get working so far:​
Quality of Life: Here is a mod that allows you to keep summons around, in towns, without bugging out npcs:​

Make sure to check if any mod you chose has required mods it needs under "Requirements" on Nexus, as seen here:
2023-08-28 23.40.08 www.nexusmods.com 1d2913ff15c8.png

• 3Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
On second play through what if you get the hag eye and the volo eye on the same character?

I actually ended up in that situation first run, it won't let you do it on the same character, although you can do it with a different one.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You have problems if you romanced Jack. WTF man?
I think it's less about romance and more about liking the lore concept of a superbeing turned into a living weapon that is now filled with anger at their torturers. It helped that she was the other half of my wombo combo in ME2, using her psycher yeet to launch enemies into the air for my sniper to bullet time headshot. Me, Jack and Garrus turned the entire game into a turkeyshoot.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As been mentioned, that was more to bring casters back down to Earth from the God-status they had.

Melee characters simply could not compete with a caster that was sporting 10+ buff spells. Haste, Flight, Stoneskin, Protection from numerous energy types, and those are just a few of the middling buffs.

Things got truly retarded when spells like Simulacrum, Contingency, Clone, etc were involved.
Yeah, having played through multiple BG1/2 playthroughs with all the Tactics, Sword Coast Strategems mods, the Concentration mechanic is an A++++ limitation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Act 2 was fun. I tried that redemption thing on him and he just laughed about "redemption being too late" and then immediately went into wanting my corpse, when he found out we had the prism.

Also reviving the Aylin lady(nightsong) in that last stage felt so pointless. She would go up to Mykrul, get knocked either down on his platform and thus couldn't revive herself or knocked off platform and then revive herself, just to do it over and over. I think the only time she did damage was the initial attack after releasing her. Dunno maybe just having her up made her a target instead of my guys. Even then laizel was tanking the gaze every round. I think I wasted 3 spell splots before realizing there was a bonechill aura around him.

Just getting into act 3 now. the guardian being a mindflayer was weird and then trying to convince me to turn into one.

Just starting act 3 and at about 90 hours in.

This is what using Aylin feels like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
re: builds and meta play, I switched to tactician somewhere in the second act but soon in the third act the game got pretty easy. I facerolled most of the third act, just blindly charging in and wasting everything. There was basically nothing that could stand against a twincast-haste from a sorc on my Karlach / Tav bear barbarians. I must've respecced barbarian 15x times and ended up just liking level 12 pure barbarians. The gear you get that has static +damage can probably make just about any build work, but builds I wanted to try but didn't bother with:

* A level 12 champion with half-orc racial + all the crit gear in the game. I didn't calculate it but it felt like I could get 50% crit chance or something ridiculous.
* A spore druid
* A ranged bow user of some kind
* A warlock using eldritch blast or sorcerer using magic missile

I've been thinking about the ideal way a mod could increase the difficulty of the game to make it rewarding to try-hard and haven't thought of anything specific. The amount of damage you can do per round that the rules + gear give you would make a challenging playthrough for these busted builds would basically require using these busted builds or a bunch of pseudo-exploiting. I don't even think the gameplay would be fun if it was made to be hard.

If I ever do another playthrough I might put some rules on my party like, no rings/necklaces/boots/gloves/helm. That'd taper off the OP builds at the high end while not making act 1 that much harder. It's basically what I did in my second playthrough of elden ring. I've tried to think of a limitation on resting that would add challenge, but it's hard to come up with one. I think the entire concept of resting could be deleted from BG3 and improve the game. I heard DOS / Pathfinder or whatever did something different, but I've never played them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
re: BG3 vs BG1/2
As much as I enjoyed BG3, I love open-world RPGs and the fixed-route of BG3 felt a bit too constrained for me to enjoy the world as much. I understand the tradeoffs, but I would've preferred it if you started in Lower City in a prologue and explore part of the quests, with only part of the city open to you, then get captured and have to return to BG to start act 2, which opens up some of the different zones as optional journeys you take with your Elfsong Tavern base of operations being the anchor. Act 3 would start when the Moon tower is blown up and the Shar temple is explored that would kick off some chnages in BG to open up other quests. I'm almost glad it was like this though, the last RPG I played was Elden Ring and the next is Starfield. All three are vastly different RPGs with different levels of freedom.

I was also a bit disappointed that you were limited to the lower city. I was expecting to unlock the rest of BG throughout the entire game and was half expecting an entire fourth act up until the game ended.

The zones also felt oddly repetitive, where everything was basically a series of wide corridors with some 3d elevation to fuck around with. Whether it was "wilderness" that was hilly, dungeons, buildings or ruins. I missed the wide open fields of BG1 with mixed in tight environments to deal with.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This particular issue is a Larian one that is present in both DOS1 and DOS2. They put everything into sprawling maps that sometimes don't really make sense and give the player a weakened sense of scale.

Like if you go to the Sunlit Wetlands/Fetid Bog, which is right next to the Nautiloid crash, which is next to both Waukeen's Rest and the Goblin Camp... and another village.

BG1/2 and the Pathfinder games keep those elements. Comparatively.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've been thinking about the ideal way a mod could increase the difficulty of the game to make it rewarding to try-hard and haven't thought of anything specific. The amount of damage you can do per round that the rules + gear give you would make a challenging playthrough for these busted builds would basically require using these busted builds or a bunch of pseudo-exploiting. I don't even think the gameplay would be fun if it was made to be hard. ...I heard DOS / Pathfinder or whatever did something different, but I've never played them.
There is a mod that tries to increase difficulty, but with the lack of tools right now, the best they can do is change AC/saves, attack rolls, and HP.

They really need to add more mobs too, so there is more shit coming at you, and AoE is more rewarding, but it is the early stage for mods, and as more people develop off of each other, there will probably be some amazing stuff in a year+.

It's weird that you replayed BG2 some times, with mods, and haven't played any of the Pathfinder games. Since they are still the closest anyone has come to the infinity engine games.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's weird that you replayed BG2 some times, with mods, and haven't played any of the Pathfinder games. Since they are still the closest anyone has come to the infinity engine games.
I think I was able to just ride the nostalgia train every 5ish years.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My first co-op (2 player) game finally left Act 1 at 5 minutes past 40 hours on our save.

My weekly 4-player run isn't going to get this far by Christmas unless they skip a lot, lol.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
spoilers re: Karlach
I wasted so much damn time in Act 3 reloading saves and trying different combinations of fighting Gortash's forces to heal Karlach. There's three things you need to do, 1: fight Gortash, 2: rescue Gondians in Iron Throne, 3: rescue Gondians in Steel Watcher's foundry. A steel watcher early on in Act 3 says Karlach should report to the Steel Watcher's Forge because her heart is fucked, and she's like, "Oh that's the next leg, right soldier?". Wrong. There aint shit. I tried everything short of, you know, looking on the internet for other sweaty simps and what they might've done.

I saved all the Gondians in the Iron Throne, saved nearly everything in the Steel Watcher forge, only for blindy mcgondian to fuck off and leave me in the dust. I figured I botched *something* in Karlach's story until the very end where she gets squided.

Now that I beat the game I read about it and I guess the jokes on me. It's cut content that'll probably be in a later DLC or something and might be one of the few reasons I'd ever play BG3 again, just to "solve" this quest my frustration has me emotionally invested in. Even fucking respec skeleton has to say multiple times that Mindflayers have no soul, pissing off Karlach shippers even harder.

I also found you can get cucked by Wyll who will take Karlach to Avernus, which cracks me up.

Cybsled

Supposedly the “good” endings for her involved the upper city, which didn’t make release. I suspect if they release most of the cut content, characters that had incomplete storylines will get a major boost.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I think Patch 2 is supposed to address alot of the missing or misplaced dialogue for act 3 stuff that was cut to improve endings for most playthroughs. Was reading something earlier today about how Patch 2 was going to be much larger than Patch 1 for sheer volume of different things addressed.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think Patch 2 is supposed to address alot of the missing or misplaced dialogue for act 3 stuff that was cut to improve endings for most playthroughs. Was reading something earlier today about how Patch 2 was going to be much larger than Patch 1 for sheer volume of different things addressed.
My second play is right at end of act 2, and im thinking ill wait a few weeks and hopefully they fix some of the act 3 shit so its more complete. Any mention of a date this will drop?

• 1Like