Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The turn aspect is why having a mushroom zombie army seems like such aids.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So this seem to be kind of helpful considering I haven't seen a lot of information covering it by the land discussion about those different deals within the thread itself

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

More mobs? You are crazy, some of those fights were a slog because it was 15 dudes hitting you for 0-5 a turn and then searching for the invisible guy taking a full minute or so to complete their turn.
Adding mobs on higher difficulty is what Pathfinder did, in addition to other stuff, and they were able to actually make a challenging game in the face of a pretty dramatic power curve. They also offer the option to speed up enemy animations, so turns don't take forever.

The problem with adding higher challenge rating mobs like Dragons, Beholders, and shit, to BG3, is that Dragons and Beholders should not really be able to be killed by a level 12 party, let alone anything under 10?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Shadowheart spoilers

So, one thing that kind of spoiled the whole Shadowheart storyline is how stupid the Shar religion is. Your god only wants you to either feel misery or nothing, and doesn't like you anyway. Yet this stupid religion sprung up around being cunts to each other and there's some great debate on whether we should worship the turbocunt herself or the bitch water queen or, I dunno, something that doesn't revolve around misery. Like, at least Orin is having fun, you know?

Anytime Shadowheart wasn't sure if she wanted to be a Shar agent I'm just over here shaking my head.

1693434766856.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shadowheart spoilers

So, one thing that kind of spoiled the whole Shadowheart storyline is how stupid the Shar religion is. Your god only wants you to either feel misery or nothing, and doesn't like you anyway. Yet this stupid religion sprung up around being cunts to each other and there's some great debate on whether we should worship the turbocunt herself or the bitch water queen or, I dunno, something that doesn't revolve around misery. Like, at least Orin is having fun, you know?

Anytime Shadowheart wasn't sure if she wanted to be a Shar agent I'm just over here shaking my head.

View attachment 488716
I personally thought her character depth was pretty shallow. Reminded me of the turbo nerd mixed with Gothic kids in the late 90's and 2000's - acting out everything that they think will draw attention to them, but to any normal person - they look like idiot fucking weirdos.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Shar is basically Nihilism: The Goddess
I don't think this really holds in BG3, because everytime these dicks show up it's another helping of useless misery and torment. We all had to walk around holding a tortured tinkerbell for an entire act because she cracked the dirtiest shadow rat on an entire zone.

She says she's the shadow's shadow, that's horseshit. She's the fucking shit-cloud casting a shadow by blocking the moon during a lunar eclipse.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Regarding the moon lantern

If you let the pixie go and mention you need help with the shadow curse, she gives everyone on the party a buff that makes them immune and you don't have to fuck around with the lantern.

Plus there is another thing in act 3 which is easier if you free the pixie because the pixie said you did them a solid

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Adding mobs on higher difficulty is what Pathfinder did, in addition to other stuff, and they were able to actually make a challenging game in the face of a pretty dramatic power curve. They also offer the option to speed up enemy animations, so turns don't take forever.

Pathfinder had an advantage in this respect in the way the AC system works - 5E deliberately eliminated that to make it less hardcore, so the whole combat system kind of falls apart if you start giving monsters +30AC and the like, because there's no actual way to min-max that.

A pity though - the difficulty curve of Pathfinder Unfair is a lot better than BG3 Tactician - pathfinder was ball-busting for all but the most extreme broken shenanigans, and tactician difficulty starts good but kind of falls off a cliff at level 5, especially with the insane amount of consumables you get showered with. You could probably play through the entire game on a character with no class, just using the scrolls you find.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

That is why having a bard in your party was always nice - have them play in some corner that makes everyone look away from shit, then have your other character activate sneak and yoink things lol

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I need help. I can't stop shoving enemies, even if it's not to my advantage.

• 9Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 11 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about a notional "hardest mode" a bit more, one challenge that would be interesting is if Larian sectioned off certain parts of the campaign that had to be beaten in one rest in order to gain a normal victory condition. Ex:

As soon as you engaged in combat in the goblin camp in act 1, if you went back to camp or did a long rest, all the gobbos would be aggro'd and if you rest/camp while invading Ethel's fireplace you'd lose the hostage. In act 2, if you long-rest/camp during the gauntlet of shar, you can't rescue Aylin or something. In act2, if you slept while invading Moonrise Kingdom, I dunno, Ketheric Thorne would have a bonus lich helping him or something. In Act 3, you'd lose the Gondians and be unable to disable the steel watchers if you rest between rescuing the Iron throne gondos and disabling the steel watch. Or something.

This is partially brought from not liking the "immersion breaking" mechanic of having all these urgent events occurring while my party needed a damn nap. The whole, "Oh this building is on fire and someone is inside? Hol' up let me sleep for the night and I'll get it in the morning."

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Thinking about a notional "hardest mode" a bit more, one challenge that would be interesting is if Larian sectioned off certain parts of the campaign that had to be beaten in one rest in order to gain a normal victory condition. Ex:

As soon as you engaged in combat in the goblin camp in act 1, if you went back to camp or did a long rest, all the gobbos would be aggro'd and if you rest/camp while invading Ethel's fireplace you'd lose the hostage. In act 2, if you long-rest/camp during the gauntlet of shar, you can't rescue Aylin or something. In act2, if you slept while invading Moonrise Kingdom, I dunno, Ketheric Thorne would have a bonus lich helping him or something. In Act 3, you'd lose the Gondians and be unable to disable the steel watchers if you rest between rescuing the Iron throne gondos and disabling the steel watch. Or something.

This is partially brought from not liking the "immersion breaking" mechanic of having all these urgent events occurring while my party needed a damn nap. The whole, "Oh this building is on fire and someone is inside? Hol' up let me sleep for the night and I'll get it in the morning."
No one is forcing you to long rest.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No one is forcing you to long rest.
Yep. I disliked resting enough that I chose a party spec that didn't need to rest all that much. Ended the game with 2 barbarians that could rage 5x times per long rest and a sorcerer whose primary job was to twincast haste, which he could do more than 5x times per long rest. This was totally enough to do most of the content without having to tell the storyline to just hold off on this time-critical problem for a day so Gale could recharge his spells real-quick.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Some quests are already like this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Some quests are already like this.
Yeah and going through it blind the first time was kinda annoying. The grymforge was the most notorious. I go through hell to forge my mithril, fighting this ridiculous golem and go take a nap before going to save the druegar and what greets me but a bunch of dead deep gnomes. That's a big reason why I slept as little as possible. It'd be kinda lorebreaking to have something in the game tell you when you can and can't sleep without fucking up your plot, but I wouldn't have minded it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users