Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I think Patch 2 is supposed to address alot of the missing or misplaced dialogue for act 3 stuff that was cut to improve endings for most playthroughs. Was reading something earlier today about how Patch 2 was going to be much larger than Patch 1 for sheer volume of different things addressed.
I have not watched the whole video yet...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Release date is not set in stone as they keep piling in more fixes. Probably something like a week or two after Starfield to bring people back while they wait for modders to create an unofficial Starfield patch.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thats good news that its coming so quick. I was thinking it would be months and months before they got around to it. Love this studio.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Release date is not set in stone as they keep piling in more fixes. Probably something like a week or two after Starfield to bring people back while they wait for modders to create an unofficial Starfield patch.
It pretty much has to come before the PS5 release which is 9/6, I don't see how they can ship it for the console with Vulkan in shit shape and FSR2 still missing. That stuff is supposed to be part of patch 2 so I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the day 1 patch for PS5. They've said that the PS5 version will have parity with PC at least at release. Hopefully it doesn't stay like that after release, given the glacial pace of Sony certification.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Kinda cool, timeline leading up to BG3. Spoilers for the whole game here:

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
i don't know... i've always looked at it as character is what makes someone special, not race. which means you can be the most exotic race in the game and not be special. which also means that you should be able to pick whatever race you want. we are playing adventurers, which are extremely atypical to begin with. having the option for different races adds all kinds of interesting personality quirks, rp moments and story hooks.

one of my favorite characters i've played is a goliath sorcerer with an intelligence of 5. he BARELY speaks, mostly just grunts like a gorilla, and has your typical goliath build. so the first time that group went into combat, my goliath charged the giant spider like he was going to rage and reckless attack, but then misty stepped behind it and shot a ray of frost everyone at the table lost it.

we still talk about that character pretty often and it's specifically because when you see a giant muscly goliath, you think angry barbarian. if i wasn't allowed to play anything but a human dwarf or elf, that ENTIRE character would be completely forgettable

Not to just shit on you, but TBH this is pretty basic bitch. Yeah, you juxtaposed some basic assumptions, ok. This isn't interesting any more than an orc wizard or halfling barbarian is interesting.

Why was he a sorcerer? What was it about his personality and/or fighting style that made him think charging, then misty stepping behind the monster to cast ray of frost of all things was a sound tactical decision? Or if your fallback is 5 intelligence, then why would that be this character's instinctual tactic of choice?

This isn't character, this is just you subverting some basic player expectations for laughs like Rian Johnson.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why was he a sorcerer? What was it about his personality and/or fighting style that made him think charging, then misty stepping behind the monster to cast ray of frost of all things was a sound tactical decision? Or if your fallback is 5 intelligence, then why would that be this character's instinctual tactic of choice?
These all seem like questions that could be reasonably answered within the context of a goliath sorcerer and with answers colored by his race that would be different than a half-elf sorcerer with similar intelligence.

It could be that he's tactically an int5 dumbass but at a young age was vigorously taught by his captain a small number of simple but practical tactics like "charge at enemy, misty step, blast". This would be much in the same way that clever animals are taught tricks that they don't fully understand but never-the-less execute.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
There is a mod that tries to increase difficulty, but with the lack of tools right now, the best they can do is change AC/saves, attack rolls, and HP.

They really need to add more mobs too, so there is more shit coming at you, and AoE is more rewarding, but it is the early stage for mods, and as more people develop off of each other, there will probably be some amazing stuff in a year+.

It's weird that you replayed BG2 some times, with mods, and haven't played any of the Pathfinder games. Since they are still the closest anyone has come to the infinity engine games.

More mobs? You are crazy, some of those fights were a slog because it was 15 dudes hitting you for 0-5 a turn and then searching for the invisible guy taking a full minute or so to complete their turn.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
More mobs? You are crazy, some of those fights were a slog because it was 15 dudes hitting you for 0-5 a turn and then searching for the invisible guy taking a full minute or so to complete their turn.
Yeah I definitely don't need more mobs unless Larian finds a way to "fast-roll" the results to have more NPCs taking simultaneous actions. I've been thinking about what an "Insane" or "Legacy of Bhaal" mode or Sword Coast Strategems type mod could be in BG3 and it'd definitely either be including a small number of additional big dick mobs or increasing the levels (and accompanying abilities) of mobs by 2-4. Changing ~30 of the big fights by doing stuff like replacing the Spectator in the final climb up to the brain with a true Beholder for example would be way more motivating to do a sweaty playthrough than just a flat -2 or -4 on dice rolls like Tactician has, or even replacing easy mobs with medium mobs. I'm sure I'm not the only one that got super excited when I finally got to fight a dragon and wanted more epic encounters.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not to just shit on you, but TBH this is pretty basic bitch. Yeah, you juxtaposed some basic assumptions, ok. This isn't interesting any more than an orc wizard or halfling barbarian is interesting.

This isn't character, this is just you subverting some basic player expectations for laughs like Rian Johnson.
to be fair, that was the very first moment of the very first combat with that character, so it was definitely more to make my friends laugh because they all thought he was a barbarian and he couldn't really talk to give anyone a reason not to think that. but i thought out all the backstory, he was a part of a tribe that a worshipped a white dragon in ages past. he was a dragon sorcerer and when he used spells a sort of dragon birthmark/tattoo type marking on his back kind of lit up. the higher the spell the more sprawling the tattoo/birthmark was.

he doesn't really think of himself as a "caster" because as a sorcerer it's just a natural ability. the same way a tiefling has fire resistance... it's not something they really actively think about, or at least it's not something they HAVE to actively think about, it just works. a dog doesn't wonder why it's sense of smell is so good, they just use it instinctively. you might get angry and try to swing at someone, this dude gets angry and throws a ray of frost.

i wouldn't compare him to an orc wizard, but a halfling barbarian is on par with the idea. but that was my original point about the whole thing. the entire idea of my character came from an atypical type of character and it grew from there. i played that character in like 3 one shots over 3 years ago and we still talk about him on a regular basis. not JUST because he is a goliath sorcerer, but that was absolutely the starting point. "what is a race/class combination that you just don't see? oh... i got it, let me roll with this"

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For anyone that played DOS2, you know that the soundtrack was one of the best soundtracks for any game ever. It is a 10/10 on top of an already legendary game. The composer for DOS2 and BG3 are the same, Boris Slavov.

I'll admit, music and soundtracks take some time to grow on me, but I don't feel BG3's soundtrack rose to the same level as DOS2. Except for a few exceptional songs like Harpy Song, Raphael's Song the tracks were all very understated and mostly background noise. I also really wish he would have tried to honor the soundtracks from BG1 & BG2. They were so great and would have been a wonderful foundation for BG3 to use.

I'd still say that he did a better job than most other games, but DOS2's music was just better.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

I would agree. A lot of the BG3 music was fine, but sort of like World of Warcraft fine: some background stuff to fill the void

Raphael going full Disney villain with an angelic and then sinister tonal changes throughout the song was amazing, though

It also fit with the character considering how into himself he was lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users