Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Early Access has been pushed back to October 6th from September 30th.

They even changed their Twitter name to Baldur's Late. Gotta love their humor.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've never coop-ed Divinity Original Sin 2. Then a buddy who never plays turn-based stuff got it and is now addicted. We've been coop-ing every night on his game save with one other dude.

Anyway, BG3 coop will be just as epic I hope.

• 2Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I guess adding all those sex scenes made early access size from 70gb to 150gb. I'm wondering how big this game will actually be.

8c3fe6a.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I guess adding all those sex scenes made early access size from 70gb to 150gb. I'm wondering how big this game will actually be.

View attachment 307084

i'd guess that a lot of the stuff they are adding in the full version won't really add THAT much. they have the assets already done, you know? obviously stuff like sound files from dialogue can add a decent amount of files. but larian like to put games in EA for a good long time so honestly, i'm assuming that file size requirement will go down as they get nearer to release and compress stuff more efficiently.

or maybe it'll just keep growing like a tadpole in your brain until it requires your entire hard drive to contain

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm torn on if I should go early access or not. 25ish hours now sounds great but waiting for the real deal which I assume will be many many more hours at release is also appealing to me.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'm torn on if I should go early access or not. 25ish hours now sounds great but waiting for the real deal which I assume will be many many more hours at release is also appealing to me.

Said this before, but my plan is to try EA as an evil playthrough and do things I would normally not do in my main game. Usually do neutral / good in all my choices, but hopefully BG3 will be closer to (probably even better than) KOTOR 2 than most games these days that try good/bad. Games now are basically just some dialogue differences (mostly the "evil" is just "asshole") and perhaps kill/let someone die that don't matter at all in terms of the full playthrough.

They've already stated they want a lot of major changes in the world depending on choices, some being very evil. Doing that should still keep a release playthrough fresh even from the start. That is, if they manage to deliver on that part, which I have faith in.

Also would like to try out different classes to see how they play.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone else hyped for this. I haven't played a PC game in a while. or any game really.
I have a GeForce GTX 1080. Its 3 years old at this point but I think it should still do the job yeah?

I know it's above minimum spec or even recommended but I'd like it to run smoothly with at least some eye candy on.

1601915739205.png

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyone else hyped for this. I haven't played a PC game in a while. or any game really.
I have a GeForce GTX 1080. Its 3 years old at this point but I think it should still do the job yeah?

I know it's above minimum spec or even recommended but I'd like it to run smoothly with at least some eye candy on.

View attachment 307876
Well I don't see how it would be an issue for this type of game, might have to turn off some of the most retarded stuff like super detailed shadows but it should run just fine. D:OS2 ran fine on my older PC too, it's not really a type of game that's too demanding I think and the optimize decently, although maybe this one might run worse due to looking better. I'm sure once the EA starts and people play you'll be able to find someone with similar specs to tell you how it runs and as the reqs say it'll get better as they optimize.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone else hyped for this.
Honestly, it will depend on the story and if it brings the Baldur's Gate dread of the "evil lurking in the shadows that you don't quite understand yet" to life. If the story sucks the game will suck for me.

Caliane

These Larian EA's are frankly, a terrible idea. It made sense as a proof of concept with the Kickstarter on Original sin. it was just a sneak peak for people in OS2, and will be the same here.

The worst part however, is while they polish the fuck out of that first 1-4hours of Early access... the rest of the game is left unpolished. or downright unfinished, due to it. They've done this repeatedly.
And then, release a "definitive edition" a year after release, that fixes all the problems with the game.

so, I'll go a step further.. wait for the "definitive edition"..

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Was about to post the same thing. Sounds like they will have 25 hours of gameplay content in act 1 to start. Sometimes this is good with their games because honestly after the middle of act 2 or so quality of writing seems to just go south - and a lot of it becomes quantity over quality. - I guess the only advantage I see with EA right now would be to turn it into a pseudo-episodic format where we will be waiting for the next act installments. I would like to see them slim that down and concentrate on a solid product rather than wait a year and a half for the edition Caliane mentions above.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
These Larian EA's are frankly, a terrible idea. It made sense as a proof of concept with the Kickstarter on Original sin. it was just a sneak peak for people in OS2, and will be the same here.

The worst part however, is while they polish the fuck out of that first 1-4hours of Early access... the rest of the game is left unpolished. or downright unfinished, due to it. They've done this repeatedly.
And then, release a "definitive edition" a year after release, that fixes all the problems with the game.

so, I'll go a step further.. wait for the "definitive edition"..
That may be true with OS series but that was their game. They are now licensing a DnD franchise. WoTC has the final say so cause they own it and I'm sure if it's a mess WoTC will probably tell them get their asses back in the studio and fix this shit. Plus Larian would be stupid to let this fail. The game is a huge cash cow for both of them. You have DnD fanatics, Baldur Gates fanboys, Original Sin fans and your everyday gamers who will play this. Plus if they do it right this game can possibly be another way to play DnD online other than using Roll20 or Fantasy grounds. Especially with modding and a robust GM mode. Lets not even talk about taking past DnD source adventures, translating them into DLC for sale. Larian would be dumb to mess this up. It took Larian years of getting rejected by WotC to get the BG license. They have too much invested and at stake to mess this up.

Last edited:

Caliane

Divinity:OS2 the most highly rated, celebrated, and one of the most financially successful RPGS of all time.. had that problem. acts 3 and 4 were totally unfinished.
no one gave a shit, because all the reviews and first impressions never got past act 1 in the rush to review the game. same with word of mouth. Those first few hours are SO important to sales, reviews, and what not. So yeah, polish the hell out of the start of the game, is great for profit. I suppose that can be said for the EA thing.

I have no idea why you think WOTC has some kind of god level quality control department.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That may be true with OS series but that was their game. They are now licensing a DnD franchise. WoTC has the final say so cause they own it and I'm sure if it's a mess WoTC will probably tell them get their asses back in the studio and fix this shit. Plus Larian would be stupid to let this fail. The game is a huge cash cow for both of them. You have DnD fanatics, Baldur Gates fans, Original Sin fans and your everyday gamers who will play this. Plus if they do it right this game can possibly be another way to play DnD online other than using Roll20 or Fantasy grounds. Especially with modding and a robust GM mode. Lets not even talk about taking past DnD source adventures, translating them into games for sale. Larian would be dumb to mess this up. It took Larian years of getting rejected by WotC to get the BG license. They have too much invested and at stake to mess this up.
Sure, but Larian games not being finished until the DE is out hasn't exactly failed them yet. I don't like the idea of having EARLY Early Access followed by the actual Early Access followed by the finished product after another 12-18 months, but it seems like this is becoming a trend for the genre.

• 1Solidarity