Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They did a cool thing by adding in a bunch of nifty spells. Damn shame that I'm back to 'heal bitch' for the cleric and 'pew pew magic missiles' for the wizard in nearly all encounters.

WRT Stadia -- it is far from ideal yeah but the GM for my Zoom-based D&D game has a crappy mac and otherwise just uses a work laptop so he rocks Stadia for his infrequent gaming experiences. Will be interesting to test how well it works.
what do you mean "adding a bunch of nifty spells?"

as far as being a heal bitch... one of the things i like about 5e is that it disrupts the idea of the holy trinity for party management. you can run a full campaign without having a healer class. i don't think that will translate to a video game very well, though, because the DM needs to adjust encounters based on your party composition, in the sense of making sure you have access to healing potions and kits. this game doesn't seem to even have healing kits, but "help"ing a downed member will pick them up with 1hp, which is pretty nice.

i played a grave cleric from lvl 1-20 a few years back and yeah, i did my share of healing, but i also did a ton of damage as well. clerics have some pretty great control and damage spells, and toll the dead is an amazing cantrip. 1d8 damage to creatures, 1d12 if they are already injured. and it's a wisdom save, which a ton of creatures only have an average save on. death clerics even get to add their wisdom modifier to the damage on necrotic cantrips, which toll the dead is so it hits like a truck

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
These streamers constantly QQing about missing hits is really annoying. They rage so hard about it.

• 1Worf

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I should have said 'taking the time to code' rather than adding. I actually preferred the way 4e handled healing in that the healer was more of a catalyst for healing rather than a walking medic. In our 5e pen and paper games we've had people try to play creative cleric/druid types the past few campaigns and each time it just hasn't worked out and the same thing is happening here in BG3. Perhaps it has more to do with how hit dice work and the lack of 'short rest' opportunities for the pen and paper version, but in BG3 I really don't see any way around not making the cleric the healbot even with the possibility of a short rest.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I should have said 'taking the time to code' rather than adding. I actually preferred the way 4e handled healing in that the healer was more of a catalyst for healing rather than a walking medic. In our 5e pen and paper games we've had people try to play creative cleric/druid types the past few campaigns and each time it just hasn't worked out and the same thing is happening here in BG3. Perhaps it has more to do with how hit dice work and the lack of 'short rest' opportunities for the pen and paper version, but in BG3 I really don't see any way around not making the cleric the healbot even with the possibility of a short rest.

Well the hallmark of BG2 is, if you're bad, running off and resting whenever possible to restore your heals. But once you learn to play intelligently you don't need to heal in the middle of combat too often and you can get enough potions to not rely solely on cleric/divine heals.

I don't think it will be an issue.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider

Thats too funny I was just at that part last night. I did something similar but not there and didn't die. I jumped down fairly far, took damage and fell prone. I love it. Actions have consequences.

• 1Like

Caliane

well, in 5e you have a few things going for the healing.
1. is the hit die on rests. everyone has them. So its easy to rest and get them back.
2. Nearly every class has some form of magical healing. yes druids and clerics are the strongest, and most robust. but bards and rangers can do solid patching up too.

They can throw healing potions at you in vidya too. this is one of the easier ways of dealing with the VERY high encounter rate CRPG's tend to have too.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game is pretty generous on heals and not dying. Mostly 5e stuff. Healing spells, abilities like second wind, potions, short rest, long rest, the game has a "Help" system if a player is down. To really die you'd need a TPK or a situation where someone is bleeding out and the rest of the party has to run. Even then you get Revivify spells.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I mean it makes sense in that Githyanki are a big new addition for this game. They are the new Tieflings I guess.

Peak concurrent users on Steam for the past 24 hours is 73k. So that's a LOT of people for Early Access...
I get it, they're just fucking ugly as hell and I hate looking at them.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Blame the Brits. They are the ones who came up with the githyanki etc in White Dwarf magazine. Then it got added to the Fiend Folio and the rest is history.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Githzerai and Githyanki are cool. I don't want to hear your fagginess about it.

• 1Solidarity

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I cant, for the life of me, figure out how to change up my party. The game will not let me talk to any of my current party members to dismiss them to pick up a new member. I really want the warlock in my party but here I am at level 4 and still not figured it out...

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I cant, for the life of me, figure out how to change up my party. The game will not let me talk to any of my current party members to dismiss them to pick up a new member. I really want the warlock in my party but here I am at level 4 and still not figured it out...
Kill them.

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

you SHOULD just be able to talk to them at any point. one of the conversation options is "go back to camp" then when you're at camp you can talk to whoever you want to add. you may have to talk to them twice, though as the first conversation script might not have it.

rush02112

I talk to who I want to add and they say to make room. I can not start a conversation with any current members to make room. Prob going to just strip and kill the green chick.

j00t

I talk to who I want to add and they say to make room. I can not start a conversation with any current members to make room. Prob going to just strip and kill the green chick.
i guess that's the solution for you now, but that's clearly a bug. if you have any idea when you stopped being able to talk to them i'd post about it on the official forums

rush02112

No idea. I will just kill the green chick and pay attention next time I play though.