Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Steam does have fairly large 'This is Early Access....' warning messages that you have to acknowledge along the path to purchase. I guess people look at it as an EULA and ignore it.

Most likely the same idiots that thought the FF7 Remake was going to be the full game despite it being known for 4+ years it was going to be released in parts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sooo, paying to bugtest?
Just like mmos did 20years ago. That's actually the whole point, it isn't a "gotcha", that's what it's supposed to be. You're buying a game that's not yet released(preorder) and getting a beta build to play early on that you can report bugs and suggest feature while the game is getting finished, nothing more, nothing less. If that's not your thing then you just wait until it releases like any other game. I don't do most EAs because I generally hate playing unfinished single player games but I liked it for mmos back in the days. I don't know how people act like they've never heard of this though, EAs started like 4 or 5 years ago or something it isn't new unless you've been living in a cave or playing on a phone.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just like mmos did 20years ago. That's actually the whole point, it isn't a "gotcha", that's what it's supposed to be. You're buying a game that's not yet released(preorder) and getting a beta build to play early on that you can report bugs and suggest feature while the game is getting finished, nothing more, nothing less. If that's not your thing then you just wait until it releases like any other game. I don't do most EAs because I generally hate playing unfinished single player games but I liked it for mmos back in the days. I don't know how people act like they've never heard of this though, EAs started like 4 or 5 years ago or something it isn't new unless you've been living in a cave or playing on a phone.
it's because people in general are insufferably needy and demanding.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So can someone gamesplain this to me? Is this a beta of the full game or like just part of the game where you reach a point where it says “you must gather your party to venture forth. Stay tuned for 2021”

It's basically a beta of a part of the game kinda like a early wow beta with a level 15 cap.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'd get this in EA but I'll just end up using tools to unlock shit which isn't intended to be.

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Wow so level cap is 4 ? Glad I decided to wait I would have been pissed.

Was the level cap made public prior to release ?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

Paying full price for EA is new. I wonder how many people would have bought it knowing level cap is 4 lol

• 1Picard

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
level cap being 4 isn't new information. they have been about as upfront with what they are doing with EA as humanly possible.

for what it's worth, i think they are using EA for exactly what it's supposed to be. people's misconception about EA, is probably due to other companies misusing it. they are still working very heavily on the game and will be adding to EA as they develop it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Paying full price for EA is new.

I don't think you're right here. Most games release at their final price or become cheaper. To my knowledge very few big (aka not indie) games have released cheaper for EA and then raised the price on release. I think Ark did this but I don't know any other "big" games that did that.

Regardless, this is essentially a pre-order with the bonus of trying the first act of the game out. If people didn't know that then they only have themselves to blame.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow so level cap is 4 ? Glad I decided to wait I would have been pissed.

Was the level cap made public prior to release ?
As others have already pointed out, Larian has been very transparent that the Early Access is only a small portion of the game. Still, though the level is capped at 4, there is a lot to do. However, sdome of the content is arguably meant for a slightly higher level (there's a huge player power increase at level 5) because there's a definite increase in difficulty. Killing a properly played Hag in her lair is close to an impossibility for a level 4 party.

I've been a huge fan of D&D since early 2nd Edition and I DM a tabletop 5E game every week so I'm glad to have had to the chance to see that there will actually be a good PC iteration of the system after so many years.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
level cap being 4 isn't new information. they have been about as upfront with what they are doing with EA as humanly possible.

for what it's worth, i think they are using EA for exactly what it's supposed to be. people's misconception about EA, is probably due to other companies misusing it. they are still working very heavily on the game and will be adding to EA as they develop it.
This.

The game is obviously still very early in the development process. Lots of animations of completely broken, quests trees loop constantly, content tags aren't applied so that choices don't stick, etc.

They wanted a working, playable build as early as possible so that the legion of hardcore D&D fans would descend upon them en masse to tell them what they were doing wrong, and that's happening.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I know EA is early acess. But I can't help but sometimes read that as EA games lol.

• 2Solidarity

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Have there been any AAA titles with a 60 dollar price tag for EA ? I wouldnt know h as i never bought or played myself nor would I.

So the likelihood of being able to play 5e through level 20 in a CRPG may happen by 2025. Nice work !

• 2Picard

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Many AAA games don't have EA, or if they do its referenced as a "beta" with the release to follow shortly after. Its hard to make that comparison because the sample size would be small.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Betas last a few weeks to maybe two months. EA can last for half a decade. By sane use of software development terminology, EA is usually alpha, not beta.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
BG3 won't be released for at least a year per the statement from Larian.

As a 5e player, i was hoping for a CRPG where i can test builds out. multiclasses, etc 1-20. Seems Solasta is also going with a 10 level cap. Pretty weak on both fronts.

Levels 1-5 of DnD are pretty boring from character building perspective, 12+ is where things get interesting.