Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Grabbed Planescape Torment + Icewind Dale, the Baldur's Gate duogy, Neverwinter Nights, and I think I'll get Pathfinder: Kingmaker soon.

I've heard Divinity: Original Sin 2 recommended a lot, but what about the first one? Are they both worth a run? Looks like the second is pretty cheap on PS4 while the first is definitely not, which is interesting.

Wonder if I'll ever have time to get through all ten of these.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's hard to say if you will like the old games, as I don't think Torment: Tides of Numeria or Pillars really capture the classic feel. I liked the Pillars games well enough, but it's like something is missing. The modern game most like the classics is Pathfinder: Kingmaker (which is my favorite RPG of the last 15 years).

Old games:

Planescape: Torment is my favorite game of all time, and I don't think there has ever been anything like it since. There is a lot of reading, and you need to read all the quests to really get into the game. I have not played the enhanced edition, so don't know what they did to it to comment.

Baulder's Gate 1 and 2 are going to be more similar (and superior) to what your playing in Pillars of Eternity (as opposed to whatever Tides of Numeria was). The Enhanced editions are fairly well done, and I would recommend combining both games into the BG2 engine and playing it as one long game. How to: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Trilogy

Icewind Dale is its own thing, and not quite as good as the others, but still worth playing.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is often talked about in the same group; it is going to be a bit different, as it has it's own rulebook and combat system. The combat isn't great, but the story and atmosphere are.

Temple of Elemental Evil is worth looking at, if you get through the others and are happy with them. It it much more combat based and they kinda ran out of time for making a great story.

Slight Edit:
Modern games:

I agree with @Randin and @Chanur that both Tyranny and D:OS are in high standing and capture those CRPG feels in their own way. Tyranny is more like the isometric classics (with an evil-ish twist), whereas D:OS goes it's own way and shows what turn based combat can achieve.

I've seen a lot of people say that Planescape: Torment is their favorite game of all time. Probably a comparable number to things like Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid. I mean it has HYPE around it. I can't wait to check it out.

Is Torment: Tides of Numeria a sequel to it? It doesn't seem nearly as well-liked.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Grabbed Planescape Torment + Icewind Dale, the Baldur's Gate duogy, Neverwinter Nights, and I think I'll get Pathfinder: Kingmaker soon.

I've heard Divinity: Original Sin 2 recommended a lot, but what about the first one? Are they both worth a run? Looks like the second is pretty cheap on PS4 while the first is definitely not, which is interesting.

Kingmaker is great shit. I like BG1/2 over Planescape. But they're all amazing.

Rime

<Donor>

Divinity: Original Sin is not required to play Original Sin 2, as the story in the second game takes place a significant amount of time after the first game. It (D:OS2) is also, absolutely, my favorite older-style CRPG of the last twenty years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Original Sin 1 is good too, and I recommend it. Just not as wide-reaching story as Sin 2 is all, and some somewhat different mechanics (armor and crafting mainly)

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

yeah D:OS2 is definitely more polished in terms of both storyline and mechanics compared to D:OS1. they are not particularly connected.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Icewind dale is the more dungeon crawl oriented of the games. All the BG games are good. Never played planescape but lots of people recommend it.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I've seen a lot of people say that Planescape: Torment is their favorite game of all time. Probably a comparable number to things like Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid. I mean it has HYPE around it. I can't wait to check it out.

Is Torment: Tides of Numeria a sequel to it? It doesn't seem nearly as well-liked.

Yeah planescape torment is amazing in terms of storyline and writing, but suffers graphically and mechanically. Tides is in a completely different setting (Earth 1 billion years into the future, while Planescape is set in Sigil a city of dimension doors tied into Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance etc) , but similarly very heavy on storyline and writing and suffering in the games mechanic. Overall I would say most think planescape is still superior to Tides in terms of writing, they kind of explore a lot of similar philosophical themes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The Numemera setting is interesting. The premise is that 8 previous super advanced civilizations have existed on the planet before now each of which left hyper advanced nanotechnology that is, as Arthur C Clarke postulated, is indistinguishable from magic. Because these parts don't necessarily work together you end up with all kinds of wacky 'magic' when manipulating them.

I just wish the game system itself was as conceptually strong. I find it lacking in many ways and so a faithful implementation of it is similarly lacking.

• 1Truth!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Every game mentioned in this thread is worthy of the praise they've been given, but personally I can't say enough good things about Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

It was a buggy mess at release, but it's been patched in to a truly great experience. And as already said, it's a loooooong game. It took me 150 hours to finish it.

Yeah, game was broken at release (which sadly gave them a lot of bad press) but they patched like mad and the end result is fantastic. In terms of modern day CRPGs it's at the pinnacle as Baldurs Gate was back in the day.

Their sequel

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Kingmaker is great shit. I like BG1/2 over Planescape. But they're all amazing.

I cannot seem to get into that game. Of course, I've yet to complete the first quest that you're given, either. It must be a slow start, just like all other great RPG's. Guess I'll try that after I get through with TW3.

• 1WTF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I cannot seem to get into that game. Of course, I've yet to complete the first quest that you're given, either. It must be a slow start, just like all other great RPG's. Guess I'll try that after I get through with TW3.
Kingmaker's first 12 hours is an absolute slog. On that I totally agree.

I also didn't particularly care for the Civilization build a town bullshit part of the game. But the rest of it is so good I just dealt with it.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Going into Kingmaker you have to realize that this is an epic campaign. This is not the sort of game that you zip through over a Taco Bell fueled weekend. At one point you can see where the end of the first game is coming up and you gird yourself for the final battle... only to realize that yer not even a quarter into the game and you basically just finished the introduction. There is no 'first game' there's just the game itself. Its like an entire trilogy in a single package.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
yeah the whole barony building part of pathfinder really drags down the game for me, the game time deadlines are also an annoyance. plus the first 5-6 levels are terrible, after that the game opens up. the storyline, NPC interactions and dungeon-delving are all really really solid.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Welp, I got 'em all. Now I have ten CRPGs to play: Planescape Torment, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Basically catching up on like all the CRPGs ever. Not sure where I'll find the 600 hours I need for all of these. The big question now is what order to play them in, since bouncing around between games of this size/scope isn't going to get me very far. Have to pick one and commit to it, then pick another, etc. Leaning Planescape first because I like the setting the most, but we'll see.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Welp, I got 'em all. ...Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, ...
I was going to ask about Icewind Dale 2, but that's the only one without an enhanced edition that runs on modern computers correctly.

(according to wikipedia, that's because nobody has the source code. Like, WTF?)

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If you do the BG series start at 1 then 2 and I assume it has all the expansions. Then icewind after that as it's heavily combat oriented. Can go through the whole series with on set of characters or one character if you do it that way if you want.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
also add pillars of eternity 2, better mechanics but worse story than PoE 1.

Holy fuck, the story actually got worse? That's pretty much the main reason I quite PoE around 15 hours in - the story bored the fuck out of me.

• 3Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I really would like to see turn based tactical combat added to these BG like games, like how Pathfinder and PoE2 have the option for. The constant pause shit is boring, but the option to let it go when the fight is a faceroll is nice too. Just prefer my major fights to be more tactical. PoE2 had other issues, but it did that well. Pathfinder was perfect.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
BG3 is turn based tactical combat... its the one major change in BG3 compared to the earlier ones.