Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm just glad HD versions of all of these things exist now. There's even an HD version of the original Wizardry on PC. Ultima series next?

Crazy stuff. In my middle age I'm going to make up for all the CRPGs I missed growing up.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I am so old I played through the gold box SSL DnD games. I happen to think that the core series, starting with Pool of Radiance, was a better series and more fun than Baldurs Gate, but I am a sucker for making my own characters and turn based combat.
Me and my friends still make "Rubble blocks your path" jokes due to Secret of the Silver Blades.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I feel you. There's just something fun about starting from level 1 in a hostile world and choosing a direction to explore in. So few games do that while keeping the world unleveled and merely hint at where you should go next.

Yeah, I love the idea of just being turned loose in a hostile world, where every direction you go in will lead to a different adventure. The original Zelda did that, and it was what got me glued to Fallout 3 when I first fired it up. Unfortunately for the most part outside of EQ I've spent decades playing linear games, especially JRPGs where you only have one avenue to progress at any given time. An open world starts to be un-fun very fast when you're spending all your time trying to find the one right person to talk to in order to trigger further events (and nothing else will move anything along). Those games have their place, and Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time. However at this point I'm waaaaay more into free exploration type games where I can just wander around getting into quests and creating my own kind of narrative. Big bonus points if you pick your class first, or assemble a party.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Icewind Dale didn't really blow my pants off, either. Wasn't bad, just kind'a meh. I have a feeling that's the way the rest of the board feels about it, but I could be wrong.

D:OS2 is probably the best RPG'ing experience I've had in the past five years.

I would say the past 10, but then it kind'a collides with Mass Effect.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Is mass effect is your measure, then we all know it's watered down. With, granted, positive aspects, and very high points with specific side characters and storytelling, but otherwise simple, boring, easy game play.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Icewind Dale didn't really blow my pants off, either. Wasn't bad, just kind'a meh. I have a feeling that's the way the rest of the board feels about it, but I could be wrong.
Icewind Dale is definitely one of the weakest games listed here, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a teen because I was just happy to be adventuring in the stomping grounds of Drizzt, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Regis, and Cattie.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm just glad HD versions of all of these things exist now. There's even an HD version of the original Wizardry on PC. Ultima series next?

Crazy stuff. In my middle age I'm going to make up for all the CRPGs I missed growing up.
Where can you find this HD version of wizardry?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think the biggest downfall in all these games is trying to adopt a board dice game into a video game. It just never felt right when I was playing them. This is what the fist mmos did right. They still had a similar math system in place with rolls and all that, but the diku systems made more sense for vidja.

Last edited:
  • 2Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the biggest downfall in all these games is trying to adopt a board dice game into a video game. It just never felt right when I was playing them. This is what the fist mmos did right. They still had a similar math system in place with rolls and all that, but the diku systems made more sense for vidja.
I couldn't disagree more. Leveraging the tabletop aspect is a huge component in the success of these games.

The core fan base of isometric RPGs don't want less "dice," they want more.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever play the Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance games back on the original XBOX. The coop aspect was badass. A friend and I played through each of those over 2 days each. Think we played through the first one twice, because you unlocked some overpowered character that basically just let you run through it in 1/4 the time.

What game engine was that built on? I want to say there were a few before BG : DA, where they just slapped the BG skin on top of it because they wanted a BG for console, and actual BG would be impossible to play with a controller... 🤔

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Icewind Dale is definitely one of the weakest games listed here, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a teen because I was just happy to be adventuring in the stomping grounds of Drizzt, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Regis, and Cattie.

Ever get a dose of nostalgia about something you never actually experienced? Like someone else's second-hand nostalgia? I just got that reading this. I may not have played any CRPGs growing up, but I sure was into the AD&D and Forgotten Realms stuff. Being as socially inactive as I was, a lot of it was just semi-playing with family members or reading the books / modules rather than doing real D&D campaigns, but I wouldn't trade that for anything. The day in 1991 or so that I found a pile of D&D modules and handbooks rotting in the corner of a dusty basement in an abandoned storage unit (that we'd inherited from the previous tenants) turned out to be one of the most crucial days of my life because it led to most of my interests that lasted until today. If it weren't for that, I probably would have grown up playing Mega Man and Mario instead of those plus Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Everquest. Probably would have thought RPGs were for dweebs.

Where can you find this HD version of wizardry?

I believe it's on Steam. I haven't checked it out yet because the fact is I have like 30 games on deck already to get through and most of them are huge. At least I'm all set if we go through a year of full-lockdown of society.

I understand what you're saying, and that's part of what deterred me from them in the past. I watched people play Baldur's Gate etc back in 1997/1998 or so and it felt off to me compared to the JRPGs I was used to for that reason (also the real-time aspects). I wasn't the target audience.

Anyone ever play the Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance games back on the original XBOX. The coop aspect was badass. A friend and I played through each of those over 2 days each. Think we played through the first one twice, because you unlocked some overpowered character that basically just let you run through it in 1/4 the time.

What game engine was that built on? I want to say there were a few before BG : DA, where they just slapped the BG skin on top of it because they wanted a BG for console, and actual BG would be impossible to play with a controller... 🤔

Wondering how Baldur's Gate is going to play with a PS5 controller, myself. This will be interesting. Leaning towards playing Pillars of Eternity first. It's going to be a busy few weeks between RL, Ys IX, Nioh PS5, and finishing Valhalla so I might not be starting on this crusade for a bit though.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>

Yeah those games were super good diablo clones in the Forgotten Realms world. Really great looking games too.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

The video game adaptations are great though! That's where you can take all your bullshit ruleslawyering minmaxing bug abusing assholery and just fucking kill every single thing that is even possible to be killed as you murder hobo your way through every town and city in search of bigger numbers!

Then when you sit down to play a tabletop RPG all that's out of your system.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ever get a dose of nostalgia about something you never actually experienced? Like someone else's second-hand nostalgia? I just got that reading this. I may not have played any CRPGs growing up, but I sure was into the AD&D and Forgotten Realms stuff. Being as socially inactive as I was, a lot of it was just semi-playing with family members or reading the books / modules rather than doing real D&D campaigns, but I wouldn't trade that for anything. The day in 1991 or so that I found a pile of D&D modules and handbooks rotting in the corner of a dusty basement in an abandoned storage unit (that we'd inherited from the previous tenants) turned out to be one of the most crucial days of my life because it led to most of my interests that lasted until today. If it weren't for that, I probably would have grown up playing Mega Man and Mario instead of those plus Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Everquest. Probably would have thought RPGs were for dweebs.

Wondering how Baldur's Gate is going to play with a PS5 controller, myself. This will be interesting. Leaning towards playing Pillars of Eternity first. It's going to be a busy few weeks between RL, Ys IX, Nioh PS5, and finishing Valhalla so I might not be starting on this crusade for a bit though.
To the first paragraph -- Yep, I've felt it. I got in to D&D at a fairly early age (10ish), but I was too young for my parents to let me spend 4 or 5 hours in an unsupervised house with a group of 'strangers.' Not to mention, at 10, I would have had serious problems finding a group willing to give a 'baby' a shot. So, I spent the next 4 or 5 years devouring every source book I could find, theory crafting, playing through modules in my head, and designing my own world/adventures before I found a group to play with. As an aside, I suspect being 'forced' to study the game had a lot to do with why I've spent 99% of my time playing D&D as a DM.

The Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, etc novels were many of my adventures before I could adventure. There's also a book series called Guardians of the Flame (Joel Rosenberg) that I discovered around age 12 while I was a student of D&D. The series drew me even further in to the world of fantasy and firmly cemented my impressionable, young mind with the love of the genre because the books were about a group of college kids that got transported in to their D&D game as their characters. I was inexorably enchanted.

I think there are a lot of people that only think about D&D rather than actually playing. In fact, I watch a number of D&D related YouTube channels and it's not uncommon for commenters to state that they buy a ton of product and consume a lot content, but they rarely have the opportunity to play.

To the digital games -- Every experience I've had with Iso RPGs has been on a PC, but the thought of playing them on a console sounds like a terrible experience.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think it was PlayStation for me, but I played both I and II and enjoyed them. Though they were a bit too arcade-like for my tastes.

I'm not a gaming snob, but I definitely know what I like. BG:II, Torment, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, PoE II, DoS II, and even Wasteland II/III are pinnacle gaming for me.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>

I picked up a GameCube and two Wavebird controllers for $5 at a yard sale and bought Dark Alliance for it, was fun.

BG2 was the pinnacle of RPGs for me - I’ll play through it still on occasion.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I also enjoy the straight forward story of BG1 the best. BG2 had better game mechanics and challenge, but BG1 was the best journey start to finish.

• 1Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I also enjoy the straight forward story of BG1 the best. BG2 had better game mechanics and challenge, but BG1 was the best journey start to finish.
Man i never beat BG1 but fucking poop socked BG2 (thought it was way better). Feel like I missed out on BG1. Might have to
1612067927593.png
circle back to that.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users