Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't care for Wyll either. He reminds me of Liam from ME:Andromeda (had the same personality and accent) whom I also didn't like. There's something about the way the voice sounds that rubs me wrong and the generic pleasant black guy thing is boring.

His voice lines while jumping down during the gate fight are laughably bad.

The blade of frontiers stuff and the demonic bit would be served better with a more flamboyant voice actor. And his do-good nature should be able achieving more fame.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Writing good characters is actually quite difficult.

Even in BG2's roster some of them were terrible, or at least super boring and lame. This was countered by having extremely memorable characters like Minsc. However, never in all of my dozens of playthroughs of BG2 have I EVER included this guy in my party.

This guy is a douche.

Well, cleric/fighters are a good class and his npc quest is one of the better ones, and gives you the ability to change his demeanor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The Int 18 headpiece being available so early makes it pretty easy to make a Wizard that has 3 attributes at 16 and bottomed out int which is then boosted to 18.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I had no idea Astarion was a rogue and I made a Drow Rogue (Thief subclass) myself. I proceeded to shoplift everything from everyone. Sneak/hide is busted in the way that it's implemented. Sneak attack is incredibly easy to perform and repeat throughout an encounter. Furthermore, the additional bonus action from the Thief subclass is ridiculously good given how many things are considered bonus. Rogues are so mobile it's insane.

The game definitely needs numerous balance passes.

On another note, I read the Steam community forums for the game and I find it hilarious that some people are melting down about how hard the game is and it's crystal clear that those players have never played D&D before.
If it is anything like 5E, rogue thief with mobile, sharpshooter, skulker, and alert in any combination is insanely useful. Or just go swashbuckler and break all sneak attack rules heh. Personally when playing 5E I enjoy mastermind, and in video game form that shit is going to be amazing. Hopefully they add it.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If it is anything like 5E, rogue thief with mobile, sharpshooter, skulker, and alert in any combination is insanely useful. Or just go swashbuckler and break all sneak attack rules heh. Personally when playing 5E I enjoy mastermind, and in video game form that shit is going to be amazing. Hopefully they add it.
I agree that Rogues are amazing in 5E. In fact, Rogue/Swashbuckler is my favorite class to play. I really enjoy the Corsair/Ship Captain narrative.

Referring to my concerns - the vertical nature of the world and necessary implementation of the rules has created some odd (probably unintended) consequences. It's really the utility of the bonus action that I find to be an issue.

To your last comment -- Right now there are only a few feats available, but I have no doubt they'll be expansive after getting sprinkled in throughout the EA.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Int 18 headpiece being available so early makes it pretty easy to make a Wizard that has 3 attributes at 16 and bottomed out int which is then boosted to 18.

I haven't played a Wizard I created, but I found Gale to be dead weight for 95% of the time. Though, to be fair, most pure casters don't really start to come in to their own until level 5 and the way BG 3 is currently balanced exacerbates some of the fundamental issues casters face.

For example - All-star spells at lower levels, like Sleep, are almost useless because the mobs have maxxed out hit dice.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I haven't played a Wizard I created, but I found Gale to be dead weight for 95% of the time. Though, to be fair, most pure casters don't really start to come in to their own until level 5 and the way BG 3 is currently balanced exacerbates some of the fundamental issues casters face.

For example - All-star spells at lower levels, like Sleep, are almost useless because the mobs have maxxed out hit dice.
Yeah, there's some definite game design problems with Wizards when it comes to hit dice related stuff, and I'd say that Wizards are pretty weak in general at this point.

Anywho, I rolled up a wizard and managed to kill Lump the Enlightened at level 2 with a few tries. By no means the strongest character available, but it's just neat

Screenshot 2020-10-21 173339.png

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
friend of mine has broken the game in several ways. i play dnd regularly with him so i'm not at all surprised by his antics...

he meticulously ran around collecting exploding barrels and then dropped them around a spider. and i mean like... 100 barrels. he threw some alchemist fire on it and his game crashed so hard that it deleted his save. he also found out how to one shot anything in the game. put everything you can find into a backpack, drop the backpack on the ground, and then break the bag. everything that was in it will pile up. then cast thunderwave and it will launch all those items and they'll each do damage. he said he hit someone for 7000hp. he basically invented a dnd claymore.

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 9 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
friend of mine has broken the game in several ways. i play dnd regularly with him so i'm not at all surprised by his antics...

he meticulously ran around collecting exploding barrels and then dropped them around a spider. and i mean like... 100 barrels. he threw some alchemist fire on it and his game crashed so hard that it deleted his save. he also found out how to one shot anything in the game. put everything you can find into a backpack, drop the backpack on the ground, and then break the bag. everything that was in it will pile up. then cast thunderwave and it will launch all those items and they'll each do damage. he said he hit someone for 7000hp. he basically invented a dnd claymore.
Barrels make the game super exploitable. Here's someone blowing up the goblin force with them

Randin

Trakanon Raider

Heh. The thunderwave one is pretty genius. That's one of the things you gotta love about this being a Larian game; not a lot of developers would bother programming in goofy-ass options like that.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Barrels make the game super exploitable. Here's someone blowing up the goblin force with them

Ah, SurrealBelief. Love most of his CK3 videos, but I did skip the BG3 (mostly because I don't want to even hear about EA BG3, period)

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Camp was a bit drab, so on my most recent playthrough I stole all the Nautiloid tanks off the ship, handed them off to my char before touching the console.

642626626213.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Is this worth playing Early Access? I don't want to read too many spoilers, so skipped the last 10 pages.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is this worth playing Early Access? I don't want to read too many spoilers, so skipped the last 10 pages.
It's high quality for EA, and provides 20ish hours of gameplay. It's pretty much the first act of the game. I've enjoyed my time with it.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

If you can wait, wait, for you will almost always have a better experience with a full release, on any game. If you are too hyped to wait, then the EA is still good, as far as EAs go (it is alpha state).

As for the state of the Act 1 alpha:
The game world looks 90%+ complete, and will probably only see minor tweaks before release. There are currently 6/12 classes, with 2 sub classes each, and 5 companions. Max level is 4.

I didn't find bugs/crashes or NYI items that distracting (use quicksave often).

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Finally broke down and bought in, game does not feel like D&D at all.. its fun, decent hook to the story but , doesn't feel D&D at all.. hope they fix that

• 1Worf
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Picked this back up with a friend now that the dice rolls are working in convos. Some of the fights have really smart enemies with their movement, especially the ones that can jump or teleport around. Really fun stuff.