Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
BG2 was tunnel vision compared to BG1. That said, you could still run through the main story of BG1 in about 35 hours, but as I mentioned, there's several hundreds of hours of things you could do in the world. Similar to Fallout 3 or 4, Morrowind, Skyrim, you can finish the story quickly, but the world had a lot of shit you could venture off and do as their own segments of story.

Come to think of it, BG2 was like Mass Effect 2 vs ME1. It improved a lot on the story, combat, systems, vendors, inventory, but very much put it on rails.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I wish they'd release a Fallout 1 and 2 Remastered set like they've done with all of these other games. It's really conspicuous by its absence, and should sell like hotcakes...unless FO4 and 76 really did burn the audience too much. The first two have been at the top of my "missed CRPGs I'd like to go back and play" list for a while now.

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wish they'd release a Fallout 1 and 2 Remastered set like they've done with all of these other games. It's really conspicuous by its absence, and should sell like hotcakes...unless FO4 and 76 really did burn the audience too much. The first two have been at the top of my "missed CRPGs I'd like to go back and play" list for a while now.

They are on Steam and GoG, and both should run on Win 10. It's been ~5 years since I replayed them (I don't remember the install process), but I think there are fan made patches for both.

AFAIK, when Beamdog made the Enhanced Edition for BG 1, they mostly just took all the fan made fixes, packaged them up into one, rebranded it, and sold it on steam.

• 1Truth!

Cybsled

If they remade FO1/FO2, they would need to rebalance them. Getting fucking owned by a rat the second you pop out of the vault is shit

• 1Worf

rieter

Molten Core Raider
Anyone ever play the Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance games back on the original XBOX. The coop aspect was badass. A friend and I played through each of those over 2 days each. Think we played through the first one twice, because you unlocked some overpowered character that basically just let you run through it in 1/4 the time.

What game engine was that built on? I want to say there were a few before BG : DA, where they just slapped the BG skin on top of it because they wanted a BG for console, and actual BG would be impossible to play with a controller... 🤔
The engine just seems to be called specifically " Dark Alliance Engine" Games were fun as fuck though. DA1 and 2 and then the Champions set, which wasnt as good. Also Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel seems to have been built on that platform.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
For a good action RPG I'd highly recommend the first game in the Divinity series: Divine Divinity. Can get it cheap on GoG that runs on modern systems. The graphics are gorgeous in the old isometric type, the music is amazing, the story and quests fun and interesting, and as with other Divinity games you can choose how to build your class the way you want to. Highly recommend having a look at it at least.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah divine divinity was alright as a more role play alternative to diablo at the time, but with movable objects. Kinda cluttered at times though

BG2 was more restricted in terms of areas to visit, but each area was more packed with stuff and allowed for revisiting during quests, while in bg1 you had a lot of areas, but most only had some trash mobs and a couple of special encounters and afterward were finished.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah divine divinity was alright as a more role play alternative to diablo at the time, but with movable objects. Kinda cluttered at times though
Another good game that falls in that category is Nox; played the hell out of that game back in the day. One of the few games I know of where things like class choice seriously changes the story, which is something I always like. Last I checked, you can still pick it up on GoG.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Fallout Tactics was good too, improved gameplay vs the first 2, albeit story is lacking. I liked it, iirc.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Fallout Tactics was good too, improved gameplay vs the first 2, albeit story is lacking. I liked it, iirc.
Tactics is vastly, vastly underrated IMO. I even thought the story was fairly decent, even if it was just a rehash of the same old "robot takeover" that all these games seem to do.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Fallout 1+2+Tactics collection with current-gen resolution and balancing tweaks to the early game. Who can I throw money at to make this happen?

In addition to the ten CRPGs above, I've also now gotten ahold of Pillars of Eternity 2 and Warcraft 3 (plus expansions). Never played any of the non-WoW Warcrafts. The excitement for all of this CRPG mania is through the roof.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

Fallout 1+2+Tactics collection with current-gen resolution and balancing tweaks to the early game. Who can I throw money at to make this happen?

You don't need to pay anyone (outside of getting the base games), fans have done it for free.

Fallout 1 (high res + patch guide):
Steam:​
Fixt overview on wiki:​

Fallout 2 (high res + patch guide):
Steam:​
Resto Mod on wiki:​
Fallout 1 ported into Fallout 2 engine (fairly new project, never played it, but looks interesting):

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have tried playing Kingmaker a few times but never get to far into it. Dont think I ever got past the Stag Lord. So not sure how far that is in the game.

What are some class recommendations that are decent at the start but stay powerful through out?

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I have tried playing Kingmaker a few times but never get to far into it. Dont think I ever got past the Stag Lord. So not sure how far that is in the game.

What are some class recommendations that are decent at the start but stay powerful through out?
Stag Lord is the end of Chapter 1.... of 6.

Honestly I just played with Story characters on two playthroughs, my main was a Monster Summoner Inquisitor the first time and a Fay Whatever Druid the second time. Played with Amiri/Harrim/Linzi/Valerie/Octavia. I think I switched out Harrim for Tristian in the first playthrough but otherwise kept the party the same.

You can make most anything work really, except asinine shit like all squishies.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Was thinking just for my character i would likely default to what the npc classes are already.

For example I had read caster druids were not good in the game etc.

Burns

There are so many builds it can be overwhelming. Melee is usually the strongest early though.

All these are strong enough for pretty much anything (don't know about early game high/low):

There are a bunch of OP builds if you look for them, all involve multi classing. Just look for unfair solo pathfinder builds. Here is an example of one from a guy over at RPGCodex:
2021-02-01 17.34.37 rpgcodex.net 45d0bb9f147a.png

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

As with most dnd style games, sorcerers are the most powerful. Especially sylvan sorcerers start out with a strong pet that helps out a lot during early levels when casters are weaker. Alchemists are pretty good overall too.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
February 17th Larian once again is hosting another Panel from hell discussing patch #4. I guess this will be a huge patch since they are having an event for it. Hopefully they will introduce new classes.