Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Yeah those games were super good diablo clones in the Forgotten Realms world. Really great looking games too.
They also did champions of norrath that was a really good games in the world of everquest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I couldn't disagree more. Leveraging the tabletop aspect is a huge component in the success of these games.

The core fan base of isometric RPGs don't want less "dice," they want more.
Yeah, the gameplay has a certain weight to it because it's a highly developed system. It kind of falls apart in many ways but there is just a level of depth that's uncommon with other RPGs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1613408252255.png

To follow up on the earlier discussion: Here's my CRPG lineup, the Ten Games of Doom. The ones that aren't here (Torment: ToN and Pillars of Eternity 1) were digital, got 'em for like $9 each on a flash sale which is how this CRPG-gathering crusade started. I also ended up getting Pillars of Eternity 2, not sure if I mentioned that earlier on the thread. I also got some other stuff over the past month as you can see. As someone who doesn't buy new games very often, this month is hands-down, by far, by magnitude of about 4x, the most games I've ever bought in a month. Should be set for a couple of years now. Currently plowing the Ys games and after that I'm looking at either Nioh or a CRPG depending on the mood at that point.

As for the play order, I think I'm going to start with Planescape Torment since it limits your class choices (I suffer from paralysis by analysis when it comes to class choices) and is an easier one to get into from the get-go. Super excited about Pathfinder though. I just hope a controller isn't too limiting compared to playing these with a mouse, at least on the older ones that were designed with KB+M in mind.

• 5Like
  • 1WTF
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 6 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
As for the play order, I think I'm going to start with Planescape Torment since it limits your class choices (I suffer from paralysis by analysis when it comes to class choices) and is an easier one to get into from the get-go. Super excited about Pathfinder though. I just hope a controller isn't too limiting compared to playing these with a mouse, at least on the older ones that were designed with KB+M in mind.

That's a lot of gaming to be had if you've never played any of them before. Pathfinder works well with a controller (UI changes), but I'd say it's better when using the turn based mode (which works great). Doing that though will probably make Pathfinder into a 200+ hour game.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I have tried playing Kingmaker a few times but never get to far into it. Dont think I ever got past the Stag Lord. So not sure how far that is in the game.

What are some class recommendations that are decent at the start but stay powerful through out?

View attachment 335272
To follow up on the earlier discussion: Here's my CRPG lineup, the Ten Games of Doom. The ones that aren't here (Torment: ToN and Pillars of Eternity 1) were digital, got 'em for like $9 each on a flash sale which is how this CRPG-gathering crusade started. I also ended up getting Pillars of Eternity 2, not sure if I mentioned that earlier on the thread. I also got some other stuff over the past month as you can see. As someone who doesn't buy new games very often, this month is hands-down, by far, by magnitude of about 4x, the most games I've ever bought in a month. Should be set for a couple of years now. Currently plowing the Ys games and after that I'm looking at either Nioh or a CRPG depending on the mood at that point.

When you get to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, make this build:

I chose a sorcerer, but the linked Slayer build is more than just shooting arrows out like Hawkeye and pincushioning nearly everything to death. It also has trapfinding, lockpicking, and persuasion, so you dont have to worry about missing any treasure AND you have a very good chance to win most dialogue checks with diplomacy/intimidation, etc.

I have almost all the PF1 books and played every weekend, but even I got overwhelmed with all the feats and class dips, etc. I also got tired of, "okay cast 5 buffs before every combat."

Also play in turn based. That with the Slayer build will save you time on reloads (the enemy can always get a lucky streak on saving throws vs your spells, and force you to reload, and you realize your last save was 20 minutes ago. Enemies dont get a saving throw to avoid getting pincushioned by arrows for stupid amounts of damage).

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I absolutely hate ranger/archer classes. I refuse to play them in any RGP they exist in. Rangers are fags.

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
When you get to Pathfinder: Kingmaker, make this build:

I chose a sorcerer, but the linked Slayer build is more than just shooting arrows out like Hawkeye and pincushioning nearly everything to death. It also has trapfinding, lockpicking, and persuasion, so you dont have to worry about missing any treasure AND you have a very good chance to win most dialogue checks with diplomacy/intimidation, etc.

I have almost all the PF1 books and played every weekend, but even I got overwhelmed with all the feats and class dips, etc. I also got tired of, "okay cast 5 buffs before every combat."

Also play in turn based. That with the Slayer build will save you time on reloads (the enemy can always get a lucky streak on saving throws vs your spells, and force you to reload, and you realize your last save was 20 minutes ago. Enemies dont get a saving throw to avoid getting pincushioned by arrows for stupid amounts of damage).
Can you use this build for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous?

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm planning on it, but I haven't played WotR beta. It remains to be seen if they will tweak some things. Heavy armor tanks in Kingmaker are generally worse than DEX based tanks because there are some modifiers that stack that shouldn't, some that should but don't, etc.

Will they fix that stuff and make tweaks to the rules in the engine? No idea.

Still, its Pathfinder, and there are many ways to min/max to get effective builds. Any caster that can spam enhanced summoned monsters or high DC crowd control is going to rape. Dazzling display, stacking sneak attack, arcane tricksters etc. For WotR if none of that works for you, you could always play a Paladin or other good aligned character that can smite or has bonuses versus demons because you're going to be fighting a LOT of them.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I absolutely hate ranger/archer classes. I refuse to play them in any RGP they exist in. Rangers are fags.
There are a ton of builds online. I like this one, so far have him at lv10 and he spanks. 5 attacks, its fucking crazy and I have not even hit the fighter multiclass yet, or the rogue for the sneak attacks lol. Hes not even that squishy, so definitely not a glass cannon.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm planning on it, but I haven't played WotR beta. It remains to be seen if they will tweak some things. Heavy armor tanks in Kingmaker are generally worse than DEX based tanks because there are some modifiers that stack that shouldn't, some that should but don't, etc.

Will they fix that stuff and make tweaks to the rules in the engine? No idea.

Still, its Pathfinder, and there are many ways to min/max to get effective builds. Any caster that can spam enhanced summoned monsters or high DC crowd control is going to rape. Dazzling display, stacking sneak attack, arcane tricksters etc. For WotR if none of that works for you, you could always play a Paladin or other good aligned character that can smite or has bonuses versus demons because you're going to be fighting a LOT of them.
Yeah in Wrath beta I started with a Asamir paladin. I may give the archer a shot and see how it goes but I always preferred melee. I was looking at other builds where the one you linked this one and was wondering if this one is good.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Most of the Kingmaker builds will work fine in Wrath, but they did add some talents to supplement classes using armor (like armor focus) so there should be many more options for building a variety of OP characters (hopefully) for the hardest difficulties. Also, with all the new archtypes, there will definitely be a whole slew of new S class builds. Reddit and Steam should have people discussing builds when the game is released (disclaimer: you only need min/maxed builds to play the top difficulty).

Zen Archer might be the best archer now, as it was heavily recommended/favorite longbow build in the PnP game (when I was looking for kingmaker builds, years ago). They can use Flurry of Blows instead of the rapid shot line (they don't stack) to free up more talents (at level 11+, Flurry does increasingly more dmg over manyshot).

This guy made a nice site where he gives overviews of the PnP Pathfinder classes he has DMed for (or likes). So, you can look at some of the PnP classes and kinda get an idea of where they are, power wise, in the game:

Any archtype he doesn't cover can be looked up on this site (no opinions, just the info found in the Pnp books):

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You mean. Wait until the product is finished and it is released.

Playing this game over and over and over as it goes through Early Access is mental.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
You mean. Wait until the product is finished and it is released.

Playing this game over and over and over as it goes through Early Access is mental.
Only was just told by a friend that as the new Acts are introduced, you lose all of your prior progress. That's all a bit silly. Still will purchase, but won't really spend any major time playing until there are no wipes.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think I'm going to wait till they get to the end. How long that will be dunno.

Burns

It is a traditional beta early access. They make it clear that they are not going to release acts like some shitty chapter every 3 months game. In the previous Divinity games, the early access was used as a feedback tool to make the game better, that they gave to people who supported them on Kickstarter.

This is still, ultimately, a steam problem, in how they don't regulate how early access is handled. Allowing such a wide variety of ways that different companies use EA. I mean, people cant be held responsible for not reading the big blue EA box, or something crazy like that.

If they stick to their old games EA format, they wont be releasing more Acts into EA (at all), just more classes and other mechanics as they progress in the game development. I think their goal is a 4th quarter 2021 release.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
If they stick to their old games EA format, they wont be releasing more Acts into EA (at all), just more classes and other mechanics as they progress in the game development. I think their goal is a 4th quarter 2021 release.

They were clear on this when they announced early access. They will stick to the same format as Divinity. Early access will only ever feature the first act. No more content will be added that won't be featured in the first act. So as time goes we will get all classes and all abilities (up to level 4 which will be max in early access), but no more areas/content outside of Act 1.

Hopefully they won't get the same problem as they did when D:OS 2 fully released though. The first act was extremely polished due to being in early access for a year, then Act 2 started featuring some bugs and Act 3 featured actual game breaking bugs. Hopefully the internal QA for the rest of the acts in Baldurs Gate 3 are much larger and thorough than they were in D:OS 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I think I'm going to wait till they get to the end. How long that will be dunno.
At the rate they are moving I don't see the game coming out this year. They still have the paladin, sorcerer, bard, monk and barbarian along with their subclasses left.

Burns

At the rate they are moving I don't see the game coming out this year. They still have the paladin, sorcerer, bard, monk and barbarian along with their subclasses left.

They do seem to be releasing to EA slower than expected, but we are also coming off the big holiday slowdown. Also, who knows where the buggy internal build is at. All the other classes could be +50% done, but too many problems to push to EA.

Druid was probably the hardest class to implement with all the wild shape forms, their abilities, and unique spells. The other classes only have a few unique mechanics to get around.