Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Thats the benefit for hiring adventurers in RPGs and why it makes sense to hire level 1s. If you die they owe nothing and if you solve the problem who cares what level/notoriety they were.

...ruin has come to our family...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Whats the likelihood that after I DL this and play my character will be wiped in 1-2 months?

Burns

Whats the likelihood that after I DL this and play my character will be wiped in 1-2 months?

100%

From what I remember, beta characters in DoS & DoS2 were not transferable to live. Saves may or may not be compatible between major beta patches, even.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Absolute. (Well, might be 3 months, but still.)

The current Early Access version of the game is very much a late alpha build of Act 1. Big content updates can and will render saves incompatible. Hell, I believe the most recent update that added druids did exactly that.

You jump on BG3 now, you're volunteering for testing duty, rather than just a demo of the game.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Are there not some scattered lower to mid tier areas before getting too deep into the underdark?
Underdark was kind of divided like that, yeah. There was the Upperdark, Middledark, and Lowerdark. You could meet most anything in the Upperdark. Low level encounters could be myconids, duergar, derro, orcs, goblins, shriekers, piercers, stirges...probably a bunch of other low level dungeon stuff.

The Middledark is where most cities were for many Underdark races. Drow, Duergar, Svirfneblin, Aboleth, Cloakers, etc. The Lowerdark was a place even the Underdark races would fear: Shadow Dragons, Illithids, Liches, Phaerimm, Beholders galore, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Icewind dale did the "average mercenary/adventurer start" best: here's a bunch of adventurers who are in a tavern making plans for the future.

sometimes the tried and true works best.

• 3Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Eh, I disagree.

The problem is games like IWD came out over 20 years ago. In that time, the genre (both offline, online, and even table top) have grown in scope. People have shit attention spans and a game really needs to hook them at the start.

Releasing a RPG where you basically kill wharf rats and are just some random noob can work, but it also doesn't make the game stand out unless it is really engaging. Especially if you're using D&D stuff. Decades of exposure requires new hooks to make you stand out.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've said it before, the main problem with the game is calling it "Baldur's Gate 3". If they'd have just called it something else it would have been fine, even if they took plot points from BG1 and 2. I mean, a lot of these games, both D&D modules and computer games reference each other within the world of Fearun. But as soon as you slap the "Baldur's Gate" title on it it conjures up things that will be hard to live up to.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
they'd have just called it something else
Here's how most of modern franchise recycling works: Corporate decides on a new iteration for an established franchise: a) for the brand recognition (to save marketing costs), and b) because they already own the name. Then the "creative" types get ordered to make something out of it.

Those types are not interested in the franchise itself. They want the end product to be successful because of them, and only them, and not because of the original brand. So they convince management to "bring the franchise to the current day", to remake it for "modern sensibilites" and also to "target a new, more diverse demographic." In the end this is the "not invented here" trope, and the goal is to bolster their own portfolios and résumés.

This is how you got Ghostbusers (2015) and modern day Star Wars. The new Vampire has the same smell, only there the creative people fought for control over the project.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm killing that faggot vampire the first chance I get. I knew it the very second he was introduced.

• 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Eh, I disagree.

The problem is games like IWD came out over 20 years ago. In that time, the genre (both offline, online, and even table top) have grown in scope. People have shit attention spans and a game really needs to hook them at the start.

Releasing a RPG where you basically kill wharf rats and are just some random noob can work, but it also doesn't make the game stand out unless it is really engaging. Especially if you're using D&D stuff. Decades of exposure requires new hooks to make you stand out.
Gameplay is king for me. I don’t care if they met in a bar or if they met on an intergalactic raid on their planet. It needs to play good or I don’t care about the story. Fell Seal is a great example of a mediocre/trope filled story that was pretty bland. The gameplay and class growth, etc was so good I kept going anyways. The inverse can be true if the stories become very compelling but that’s pretty rare. The only one I can think of offhand that had mediocre gameplay but storytelling was so good I kept going is Witcher 3.

• 2Like

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I might wait until the game is finished before getting it. I'm not a fan of EA games. I remember being a big fan of BD1 and Planescape is still to this day one of my fav RPG ever.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I've said it before, the main problem with the game is calling it "Baldur's Gate 3". If they'd have just called it something else it would have been fine, even if they took plot points from BG1 and 2. I mean, a lot of these games, both D&D modules and computer games reference each other within the world of Fearun. But as soon as you slap the "Baldur's Gate" title on it it conjures up things that will be hard to live up to.
Milking the brand is all..

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Milking the brand is all..
I don't agree with that sentiment.

I fully believe that Larian truly wants to create a fantastic 5E game. They're investing plenty of resources into doing so.

However, after playing the demo for ~50 hours, I feel it's lacking something that really captures the essence of the first two games.

I still think it's a great game and constantly improving but the presentation is a bit off as well as being slightly too arcade-like. Unfortunately, I doubt either of those 'features' are likely to see much fundamental change.

Burns

Gamespot interviews Sven.

Big takeaways:
No release in 2021, pushing hard for 2022 but Sven is making no release promises.​
They keep changing things based on feedback. They want to get D&D right, but it sounds like there are issues shoehorning it into their engine.​
They have tripled the size of the studio to make this game.​
Next update should be soon...​

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Gamespot interviews Sven.

Big takeaways:
No release in 2021, pushing hard for 2022 but Sven is making no release promises.​
They keep changing things based on feedback. They want to get D&D right, but it sounds like there are issues shoehorning it into their engine.​
They have tripled the size of the studio to make this game.​
Next update should be soon...​

Based on the content already released, I think they blew the "D&D" aspects of the game already. If they are saying there are further issues trying to get it to work in their engine, they might as well just rename the game to D:OS 3 and move on.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Burns

Based on the content already released, I think they blew the "D&D" aspects of the game already. If they are saying there are further issues trying to get it to work in their engine, they might as well just rename the game to D:OS 3 and move on.

In the interview it was mostly inferred. I may have jumped to the conclusion that it was partly due engine problems.

He talked about players of D:OS 2, coming into this game, found that melee classes didn't have much to do, early on, but that in D&D the warrior class is the simplest class, because it was designed that way, as an intro class that newbs can pick up. So, they were going to try to better highlight the ability to thrown and shove things, in the beginning. Maybe some other stuff too, that I have mostly forgot, already.

I liked the game, when I played the EA in December, but yea, it feels like a reskined D:OS; whereas the two Pathfinder games feel the most like a D&D game.

• 1Like