Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Do they think their larping videos is really helping any?

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I'm biased because I know people that work on this. I tried it and I agree with you TheAylix. It's not Baldur Gate for me and I don't really like it.

Baldur Gate 1, 2 and Torment are among my favorite RPGs.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm biased because I know people that work on this. I tried it and I agree with you TheAylix. It's not Baldur Gate for me and I don't really like it.

fuck yeah GIF

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Agree with your sentiments and BG 1 and 2, especially Torment, are among the best story based RPGs I've played.

Though for me, DoS 2 had the best combat system I had played in a RPG. I loved it. Every fight was intentional and hand made and on tactical it was quite difficult (the first time around) and very fun. However, it did also have the staple mark Larian hit or miss (more often miss to be honest) "humor".

When they announced that Larian was working on BG 3, I was hopeful for a BG with a better combat system (I personally like tactical turn based over the real time with pause). A BG quality story with DoS quality gameplay based on actual DnD.

When EA first came I was very disappointed with the "look" of it. It was very obvious that the majority of the assets were from DoS and it looked like DOS3 and not remotely like a BG game. I didn't mind the gameplay though.

Since then, they have improved it with every major update. From the NPCs, the characters you control, their interactions and their stories. Especially the look has been updated to be darker/gritter with pretty much every patch.

I am still hopeful. Like in DoS 2, the stories of the characters often took quite some time to get going. EA is only the first area, so a lot of character progression and story left. But story is the only thing I am still worried about with the game. Combat I have no doubt will be fun for me, as I already enjoy it now. Graphically they have started making icons / items in the world that isn't just copy pasted assets, and toning down the "bloom" that DoS 1 and 2 had a lot of. But a dark and for the most part serious story isn't something they are known for. I love Minsc, but he was lovable because he sometimes provided some comedic relief in a mostly serious setting. Larians regular style would be a game with five variations of him and maybe one serious person. That's not what I want in a BG game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

In a way I feel for the devs in the modern environment utilizing huge budgets and having to promote mass appeal (for Timmies) in a genre that isn't geared towards the Michael Bay or "total normie" audience.

It has to be an incredible challenge, ripe with frustration like "hey this is really cool.... but takes a little too much effort to learn for the average consumer".

Their technical work is often much harder and pays less given their skill sets. I simply dread the suits and corpos, I direct most of my angst at those types. The artists usually aren't bad, the games usually run great but when it's uninspired or feels flat or shallow, I know why. That's why I support Owlcat so much even if I smell the taint on them (a bit, won't turn this isn't a woke derail) - they stay true to the game and are like, "hey this one's for really big boy nerds but here's some premade chars just in case". Elden Ring balanced it well too, with co-op summons and refining their invasion systems without pulling too much of a punch.

BG3 has done massive normie appeal, glitz and glam stuff - but also a bit of iterative work considering their systems. I have no doubt they will succeed and finishing this extremely long game they are making won't feel like a chore, hardly at all at any point. I hope the coffee goes down easy and for "less surprises" as they go if you can even wish for such a thing.

• 2Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I was really hoping for a Isometric Engine, I think that was part of the charm of Bg2. Kinda bummed in the art direction but I'll still probably play. Reminds me more of Dragon Age than BG.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I was really hoping for a Isometric Engine, I think that was part of the charm of Bg2. Kinda bummed in the art direction but I'll still probably play. Reminds me more of Dragon Age than BG.

Or every other mass produced game with the "kiddied" style going. Avoiding another derail here :).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Do you at least let them know that basically no one wants DOS in their Baldurs Gate?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Do you at least let them know that basically no one wants DOS in their Baldurs Gate?

Too late is the answer to that one but yes, make it BG3 not DOS3. Not that I wouldn't play DOS3.

Their shop seems extremely authentic at least. That's the best tell. Real gamers and enthusiasts. The worst is the "I think games are neat!" people that absolutely do not game seriously and declare themselves experts in these crafts.

• 2Like

Caliane

They had been trying to partner up with WotC for some time. trying to make their campaign creators even compatible with live DMing.

I do think this BG 3 is a misstep. its NEVER going to feel like Baldur's gate. As noted, pathfinder does a much better job at that. they could have gotten away with "Baldur's gate: Resurrections" or some dumb shit like that. call it a spinoff, whatever.. But larian is never going to nail that feel or design.
I think good environment design is just a +, even if BG didn't really have that in the past. It was the kind of thing old PC RPGS failed at mimicking from PnP. spider climb, flying, jump, push, etc. but at the same time, porting over the OP telekinesis, and barrel stacking..

The 3d worlds are almost certainly not going to have the size and scope of old school Baldur's gate. And the lack of characters is one aspect I dread from the watching the demo. 25 companions in bg 1. 15 in BG 2. Is it possible the characters in the demo are just temporary tutorial companions? sure doesn't seem like it.

5e itself can be an issue.

Bethesda got away with Fallout 3/4 though..

• 2Like

Cybsled

Pathfinder gives you a lot of flexibility, but holy fuck if you have very little familiarity with D&D, it is super overwhelming even at character creation

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pathfinder gives you a lot of flexibility, but holy fuck if you have very little familiarity with D&D, it is super overwhelming even at character creation
Yeah, I’ve played a shitload of rpgs in my life and the character creation was like wtf. There were so many things to choose from and I had no fucking idea what goes with what. I uninstalled and refunded, it was just too much. I’m sure it’s coomer material for those that play it, just wasn’t for someone who doesn’t.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I’ve played a shitload of rpgs in my life and the character creation was like wtf. There were so many things to choose from and I had no fucking idea what goes with what. I uninstalled and refunded, it was just too much. I’m sure it’s coomer material for those that play it, just wasn’t for someone who doesn’t.
Just follow a guide. It is a lot though. No doubt about it.

https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/builds/Main_Character is a good resource.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there a phrase for BG3's overlapping turn-based combat system?

I'd like to play other games like that.

Before BG3 there was Skies of Arcadia on the DreamCast by the folks who did Valkria Chronicles...but something updated and modern...

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there a phrase for BG3's overlapping turn-based combat system?

I'd like to play other games like that.

Before BG3 there was Skies of Arcadia on the DreamCast by the folks who did Valkria Chronicles...but something updated and modern...
Not sure what you mean by overlapping. Baulder's Gate 3, the one that is currently in development, is a turn based game where each character goes according to initiative, in order. Baulder's Gate 1 & 2, on the other hand, are Real Time with Pause games, where you can pause it to issue orders, then let it run in real time to play out.

If you want more games like BG3's current beta, then the best bet is to play Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2 or Wasteland 2 & 3.

If you want more games like BG 1 & 2, try the Pathfinder games (Kingmaker and WotR), which you can turn into strict turn based, if you want.

There are a bunch of good older games, from 10, 15, and 20 years ago, for each type as well..

Heian

Molten Core Raider
The person I know that work on this is a huge BG1-2 fan. Has much as I know this person. I'm pretty sure that person will do his best to get the most of BG1-2 in there. I can't say much more...

Personally I won't play it.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They just wrapped up their latest livestream, and the patch should be out now-ish. The big additions are Bards and Gnomes.

Patch Notes

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Will try it out tomorrow. Hoping they will either introduce paladin or monk class with dragonborn or orc race and reactions in patch #9.

Last edited: