Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Poin Dexter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Replaying now. I finished BG1 and am on my way to slay the dragon. I stopped at trademeet to save the town on the way so I can get the druids out of my hair.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I liked how they worked in lots of planar travel too in BG2, with the planar sphere quest, the planar prison quest, they elemental plane wizard quest. Hopefully there will be more of that in this one too. And if mind flayers are the main baddies I hope we'll see Ioulaum, a mind flayer elder brain and one of the most powerful beings in Forgotten realms lore.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You're following a guide I hope!

Have any of you nerds here ever assembled the Adamantium Golem Armor? That shit was really ahead of its time as a piece of game design. It requires you to find an early item in BG1 and transfer your save over into BG2, then into the Throne of Bhaal and find an obscure NPC to give the three items to to construct it.

I played BG 2 and then ToB long before playing BG 1, way back when, but I got the Big Metal Unit when I replayed it as BG TuTu. I think I read in a dev interview or forum post, somewhere, that it was just a running joke item across the first 2 games, and then someone decided, while making ToB, that it should actualy turn into something.

The BG3 announcement also has me replaying it. Giving the merged EE editions with a few mods a try, using the tools recommended here.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I always thought the toughest fight in BG2 was against the Twisted Rune where you needed a rogue stone I believe or some other gem in your inventory to use a secret portal that just sends you down to their lair. I'm sure there's many ways to cheese it, but I had the one neutral bounty hunter/thief guy lay a shit ton of traps right at entrance to lure guys into and they'd just blow up. Loot was really good if I recall, some really OP staff for a mage to use.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think Kangaxx is the hardest one out there. Even if you go after him near the end game he is still very difficult. Just because almost nothing can hurt him and you need +4 weapons to damage him at all. That and he casts party removing imprisonment constantly.

The hardest story boss is that one dragon that guards the entrance to the TOB dragon dungeon. I forget his name.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
All you need with Kangaxx was a scroll of protection against magic/abjuration protection and a +4 weapon (several to choose from). I'd say Demogorgon in TOB was way harder, as was the Final Seal fight in watchers keep. Twisted Rune was also pretty bad. Storyline-wise I would say the dragon guarding abazigals lair, the ravager and melissan were the toughest.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In the EE version the toughest encounter in the game in BG1/BG2/ToB on Legacy of Bhaal mode is the rat fight in Candlekeep. The mechanics of Legacy of Bhaal make the rats super powerful and it's the very start so you can't prepare your way through it or use any real game mechanics to beat it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Underdark done. Banged a drow before betraying her so she was eaten by a demon. Viconia told me a story about how she was a fuckslave to a fat mechant until his heart gave out from it. Firkrag killed with little effort before he could even finish my summons. Slaughtered all kinds of beholders, mindflayers, and other various neat monsters.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
This is true, actually. 5e will definitely be better than 2e for a BG game, but it will still be seriously lacking in video game format. Tbh, no D&D iteration yet has translated really well to video game format (except maybe 4th edition, which is ironic, considering how bad it was as a pnp RPG).

One of the things that made the Divinity games so fun is that the RPG system they used was built from the ground up in video game format. As great a studio as Larian is, I'm not sure that the people who loved Divinity will love their version of a D&D game- just due to the limitations of the D&D 5e system itself.
3.5 is excellent in nwn2 and ddo

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Underdark done. Banged a drow before betraying her so she was eaten by a demon. Viconia told me a story about how she was a fuckslave to a fat mechant until his heart gave out from it. Firkrag killed with little effort before he could even finish my summons. Slaughtered all kinds of beholders, mindflayers, and other various neat monsters.

View attachment 212659
Sauhaugin->underdark is one of my favorite sequences in any game ever. The relief and accomplishment you feel coming out the other side is immense and it was like the furnace that transformed you from an adventurer to a legend.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Can't remember nwn2 (but I owned it) and never played DDO, but I suspect I'd take Divinity's system over either.

I wouldn't bother with DDO at this point, but nwn2 is awesome if you can get past the wonky controls. Cool story, nice expansions and great player made content. A few years back I played this exclusively for over 6 months. Its really about multi-classing, which in 3.5 is really well done and powerful.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wouldn't bother with DDO at this point, but nwn2 is awesome if you can get past the wonky controls. Cool story, nice expansions and great player made content. A few years back I played this exclusively for over 6 months. Its really about multi-classing, which in 3.5 is really well done and powerful.

Actually I think it was the wonky controls I couldn't get past. I did a lot of OC stuff with the editor in NWN 1 and I was really excited about NWN 2, but something made me quit before long. Something to do with the map editor I think. Probably wasn't patient enough with it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
BG2 finally down after 19 years. It loses a good bit of momentum after Spellhold, but overall the game holds up incredibly well considering its age. The main things I dislike about it are specifically things that are from a lack of things that didn't exist in gaming at the time.

I'm unsure if I'm going to go on to do ToB or move onto the next cRPG on my list which is Planescape Torment.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
BG2 finally down after 19 years. It loses a good bit of momentum after Spellhold, but overall the game holds up incredibly well considering its age. The main things I dislike about it are specifically things that are from a lack of things that didn't exist in gaming at the time.

I'm unsure if I'm going to go on to do ToB or move onto the next cRPG on my list which is Planescape Torment.

I am very early in still but dislike that the button to highlight loot/doors does not highlight interactable items on the map, so on super high rez you still have to mouse over everything to make sure the cursor doesn't change. UGH.

iannis

Musty Nester
I hope they go hard on spelljammer. I do, seriously. There's been so few that are willing to.

Another underdark campaign would be.. guh. I've already played that game too many times. Can we please move the story past BDSM elfs?

Gonna need some eXXXtreme facehugger alien rape in this story to get me hard. I'm looking for at least five or six "Christ, that's fucked up" moments from this, Larian!

• 4Worf

iannis

Musty Nester

I remember one that was called Dark Waters (maybe Dark Waters 2) that could have easily been a paid DLC if it weren't for the fact that the mod author had his wife and children do the voice overs. And no offense, but they were atrocious. That was the only bad thing to say about the mod though.

I have no idea if you could still find it, but seriously the shit was better than a lot of "professional" games.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I see some of you guys suggesting following a guide for BG2. I’ve never played it, and I’m not typically inclined to play through something more than once. Typically I’ll play blind then see if I’ve missed something before going past a point of no return. Think that strategy would work here?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I see some of you guys suggesting following a guide for BG2. I’ve never played it, and I’m not typically inclined to play through something more than once. Typically I’ll play blind then see if I’ve missed something before going past a point of no return. Think that strategy would work here?

You will miss an obscene amount of content this way. Side quests can be very expansive and often in places you wouldn't think to look. The Mindflayer lair discussed a bit ago is one of them. There is virtually no way to discover it unless you are paying a supreme amount of attention. Or you'd discover it but have no way to enter.

• 1Like