Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Baldur’s Gate 3 releases on August 31, 2023 for PC, Mac, and PS5.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

June 2019 Announcement to August 2023 launch.

0*n5bWJPl-K0hVdj6f.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Del

Vyemm Raider
Game is looking so good. Hope it's almost as epic as Pathfinder: WOTR was.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Looks good. They have a kobold banging an ogre in act 1. Of course, it was a really fat ogre, but still funny nonetheless.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That long in early access I hope it's released fully baked. I have stopped myself from buying EA probably 20 times waiting for it to finally be finished.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Glad it’s finally gonna release, I’ve stayed away from the early release.
I played like 3 hours when it FIRST came out and then immediately stopped because I knew it was going to be great and didn't want to spoil it. Friends and I are planning to run it co-op first go around.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I played like 3 hours when it FIRST came out and then immediately stopped because I knew it was going to be great and didn't want to spoil it. Friends and I are planning to run it co-op first go around.

is it a lot like the other BGs or is it more like Divinity in terms of gameplay? Ive stayed away from everything with regards to reading up on it.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think it is more DOS 3 than BG 3. Turn-based combat, etc. The Pillars of Eternity games are the spiritual successors to BG 1 & 2.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
As I understand it they're going to have the pause/restart option as well as full turn based. But I have been mostly in a media blackout about it as well to avoid any spoilers.

Caliane

the lip syncing is solid. great job on that.

aug seems soon. As always, remember that every Larian game gets an "enhanced edition" about a year after release, which fixes most of the bugs, and unfinished content. They are usually free. but consider if you want to get at release or wait for the fixes.

Pillars of Eternity 2 came out on Gamepass last week. I downloaded that to start playing. but, since it imports saves from poe1, I actually went and reinstalled poe1, to finish it first. ugh, that game is rough. 1. have not tried 2 yet beyond character creation. Although can even bitch about THAT. what a retarded character creation system. remember that slow ass wagon ride in skyrim? lets do THAT, but worse. you have to control it, you can't just walk away. and, you can't even save at the beginning of ACTUAL character creation, letting you skip the bullshit for later..

poe1's real-time with pause combat is super not fun. even with the "a.i" settings, its still shit. I have no idea how anyone can enjoy these games with that shit. 100% give me the tactical turn based gameplay, and design your skills for it in the first place. allies doing dumb shit, targeting friendly fire aoe's versus moving targets.

(also, I hadn't realized how much crit role people were in poe1. mercer voices like 7 different npcs, sam at least 2, liam I counted 4 times I think, talisan at least once)

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Spamming pause is a key element of BG, which Pillars emulates. That's really all there is to it I think, I doubt the actually pondered the choice beyond "BG 1 did it".

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
is it a lot like the other BGs or is it more like Divinity in terms of gameplay? Ive stayed away from everything with regards to reading up on it.
First impressions of the very beginning of beta, from many people, was D:OS3 with BG/DnD skin and dice rolls. Then they progressively started changing things and opinions seemed to shift more toward a DnD/BG game, but still in the D:OS engine, so it's always going to have it's similarities.

I played it once, mostly through what they had (Act 1) when it first started EA and I really liked it, but I also like the D:OS games. It sounds like they changed enough of it since then, that I didn't spoil as much as I thought, and it will be almost as good as a fresh playthrough.

There is no real way to recapture 3e DnD Baulder's Gate magic without using a very similar engine and the same writers, or writers with a similar style (Mask of the Betrayer and Pathfinder games came closest IMO). So my expectations have always been that this is a Tribute to Baulder's Gate (from a bunch of Dutch guys) and not really Baulder's Gate 3. They should have, maybe, named it something else, with BG in the title and it would have been perfect (but harder to market, obviously).

Hopefully, in the end, it does not end up like Fallout 3, where there are zero similarities with the previous games, outside of it wearing a skin suit (art and name) of a good game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The magic of BG1/2 was simply how well a game captured the DND character interaction and exploration. The game is full of secrets and things to find. You could play the game a dozen times and not do everything. Even missing huge questlines because some characters they are tied to you didn't like.

IDK if this game will capture that. Divinity sucked at that shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users