Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I said it before and Ill say it again, D&D or any other tabletop games rules do not belong in a video game. It just all feels so awkward.
I love D&D but yeah, use-per-rest abilities are the worst. I think Pillars of Eternity got it right with use-per-encounter abilities and that would be much better here. Obviously you'd have to tune a lot of that shit down in power, but still.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I said it before and Ill say it again, D&D or any other tabletop games rules do not belong in a video game. It just all feels so awkward.
i don't know if i'd go that far, but 5e's rules are significantly less complex by design, to let people focus on roleplaying. whether or not it's better really depends on the DM and whether or not they take advantage of that fact. all the rules larian added are completely allowable in 5e specifically because the handbook encourages the dm to do these kinds of things. but there are plenty of dm's that don't have that skillset so things can come off overly simple

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

I know nothing about D&D rules and just play the game. Saves, bonuses to rolls, etc - I just see if I get bonuses in conversations or disarming traps and opening locked stuff and hope for the best! Like when I played Risk or Axis and Allies.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i don't know if i'd go that far, but 5e's rules are significantly less complex by design, to let people focus on roleplaying. whether or not it's better really depends on the DM and whether or not they take advantage of that fact. all the rules larian added are completely allowable in 5e specifically because the handbook encourages the dm to do these kinds of things. but there are plenty of dm's that don't have that skillset so things can come off overly simple
Figuring out the 'house rules' is always the issue if you aren't using someone's fully-tested build guide. Like I want to play a Githyanki Berserker/Thief, which I'd normally do str-based and start it as a Barbarian... but it sounds like BG3 has special rules that let you go the more ideal path of using dex and starting as a Rogue. And then I have no clue what the ideal level split is, whether or not taking a fighter 2 splash (for action surge) is worth it, etc. etc. etc.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Figuring out the 'house rules' is always the issue if you aren't using someone's fully-tested build guide. Like I want to play a Githyanki Berserker/Thief, which I'd normally do str-based and start it as a Barbarian... but it sounds like BG3 has special rules that make more sense to go with dex and start as a Rogue. And then I have no clue what the ideal level split is, whether or not taking a fighter 2 splash (for action surge) is worth it, etc. etc. etc.
This is why I'm just going RP first, min max second. I'll select a nice balance of what fits my theme and what looks powerful. Let all the uber autists figure out the quirks and min max and I'll try their shit out on my next runs.

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
This is why I'm just going RP first, min max second. I'll select a nice balance of what fits my theme and what looks powerful. Let all the uber autists figure out the quirks and min max and I'll try their shit out on my next runs.
This exactly.

My first run I'm just going with the flow and enjoying the story and trying to be a good guy.

If I play through again, it's gonna be some broken shit like dark urge murder-hobo with 4 necromancers who have 50 summons each.

j00t

yeah there's a very heavy difference between this and pathfinder, multiclassing isn't really even needed unless you are looking for something very specific.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Figuring out the 'house rules' is always the issue if you aren't using someone's fully-tested build guide. Like I want to play a Githyanki Berserker/Thief, which I'd normally do str-based and start it as a Barbarian... but it sounds like BG3 has special rules that let you go the more ideal path of using dex and starting as a Rogue. And then I have no clue what the ideal level split is, whether or not taking a fighter 2 splash (for action surge) is worth it, etc. etc. etc.

Near as I can tell if you take a level of rogue you can just use Dex as your primary for almost any class as long as you keep the right weapon type

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
ezgif-5-5666bef069.jpg

• 9Worf
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 10 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I was playing it last night for the first time, and managed to fuck up some how lol. Apparently, I broke my oath or something on my Paladin because I chose to save the wierd angry chick from the tieflings. Not sure what I did that triggered the oath breaking.

Luckily I have a save state some time before this where I can go back and try it again. It's just annoying that I had no indiciation that I could break my oath or even a hint at what it would be that would cause it.

There's a lot about this game that I feel I don't understand or know about simply because I haven't played pen and paper DnD in many, many years. I get the feeling that anybody that actively plays DnD 5th edition would be like "duh dude... you did xyz.. dumb ass" and I don't know how I would have ever known that ahead of time just by playing the game.

That being said, I like the game.
You aren't perma fucked when you break your oath- you can repent or just straight play as an oathbreaker.

j00t

Near as I can tell if you take a level of rogue you can just use Dex as your primary for almost any class as long as you keep the right weapon type
i'm not really sure what you mean, but anyone can use dex as their primary, you just need to use finesse weapons. just be weary though, barbarian rage doesn't work with dex

j00t

You aren't perma fucked when you break your oath- you can repent or just straight play as an oathbreaker.
oathbreakers aren't even evil, really. they just aren't lawful in the normal paladin sense. they still have their goals, they just aren't tied to the tenants of their original oath. so a vengeance paladin might become an oathbreaker because he thinks his methods have become too cruel.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
just be weary though, barbarian rage doesn't work with dex
Did that change in release? The discussion I was just reading that prompted my previous post said that rage doesn't require strength in BG3's rules.

j00t

Did that change in release? The discussion I was just reading that prompted my previous post said that rage doesn't require strength in BG3's rules.
oh, maybe? i haven't checked, i was just going with normal 5e

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yep.

I didn't read anything about anything really and just picked iksar berserker. The silver skin looked the coolest and reflects light, which gives a fun effect. I went from being apprehensive about the character models from the screenshots I've seen to thinking my guy is one of the coolest looking characters I've ever had.

1691176575376.png

I'm walking around like Colossus.

1691176640268.png

• 6Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 11 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well walked in on a bugbear fucking a fat ogre chick from behind and they attacked me. That vagina had to be way to big for that bugbear

• 4Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I don't want to summon the Facebook brigade but I view their approach as a significant detriment. So much about character creation is "generic" that it contributes no flavor to the game. Gender, race, genitals, class, it's all the same generic gray soup. Chose what you want and the game will be happy to ignore your choice and give you the same results.

I've been at this long enough to fully appreciate we all have different things that matter and don't matter so summon those facebook bitches! I don't do alot of games like this anymore so i'm probably pretty easy to please. I'm more the spend 5 hrs picking my class and skill points and 2 minutes on non-combat customization...only to play for 2 hrs then restart because I feel i gimped myself by 0.1% so I should restart hah. Its a disease :(

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This 100%. I have a half elf tempest cleric who worships Tempus. I’m using him as a tank and he is a power house. My buddy tipped me off to the tempest domain cause I always thought they were just healers and buffers. His cleric is a Selune worshipper and he said the dialogue/interaction between him and Shadowheart is interesting. He even romanced her. Lol

We're you able to get spiritual weapons as a tempest cleric? I am trying tempest too but don't have a choice of adding spiritual weapon spell. I just assumed it wasnt allowed for this subclass.

j00t

We're you able to get spiritual weapons as a tempest cleric? I am trying tempest too but don't have a choice of adding spiritual weapon spell. I just assumed it wasnt allowed for this subclass.
I mean, unless bg3 does something goofy with spells, all clerics get spiritual weapon. It is a lvl 2 spell though, so you need to be level 3 cleric to prepare it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user