Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Cybsled

Damn, I might have to do that then. That is a pretty awesome buff if there are zero penalties to doing it.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
The super-short version as I recall it: the Gith were slaves of the mind flayers in ancient times,
In 3.0/3.5 lore, mind flayers are from the future. All the Illithid you see in present day were sent back in time Terminator style to change history and prevent the downfall of their empire. Something like that.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
What's been making this super fun so far is that there are so many ways to handle situations, and all of them feel rewarding depending on who you are/what your playstyle is.

Yet Another Goblin Camp Post:

Want to Leroy the front gate? It's not easy, but you can: just set up a chokepoint with some grease to deal with the warriors and mezz the archers with Sleep or Tasha's Hideous Laughter so they don't go for the alarms. Want to be stealthy? You can; there's a hidden group of vines that will let you bypass the encounter entirely. Want to talk your way through? You can!

Further in, there's a goblin who's talking shit about adventurers. You can Leroy him too (all the gobbies are close; Grease+Alchemist's Fire would make quick work of them there, too...) or you can pass an Intimidation check and make him back down. Want to gamble? Pass a second one, and he'll literally be kissing your feet.

Inside the main hideout, you can Leroy...or you can do some platforming to get up to the second floor, bust through a wall, go up on some rafters, bait people with Minor Illusion...and then drop statues and braziers on them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Spoiler/question:

In Part 1, I lead the Drow chick to the Druid camp and then killed her and all the goblins she brought. Now when I go to the goblin town portal, the entire area attacks me. It's like 20 mobs. Is there another way into the cave with the spiders? I never cleared that cave out, but I don't want to have to fight all those damn goblins to get back there.
Three different ways in iirc, but theyre all in town. If you take out the bug bear in the back, solo, you should be able to sneak right into the building with the web, burn it and crawl down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No downside that I know of. Just a permanent see invis buff. Only other thing was that Wyll made a comment that only having one eye is great.
I saved him but didnt get to the part where he tries to gouge my eye out. I will have to talk to him some more. Nice!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm having fun but I really don't care much for the combat mechanics so far, constantly having to check tooltips on everything to know wtf is going on combat wise. Even just switching to a different weapon makes your abilities all different again. Just doesn't seem to flow all that well, there's so much you need to get a handle on. I'd rather just get on with things.

I played 2nd edition AD&D tabletop a lot as a kid and I never liked 3rd edition because it seemed to always turn into endless leafing around books looking for rules for every situation. Never played tabletop past 3rd edition but looks like more of the same. 2nd edition was just a way to handle combat and let you get on with things, it didn't get in the way as much. Maybe it'll work better for me once I familiarize myself with the hundreds of abilities and their interactions.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Damn, I might have to do that then. That is a pretty awesome buff if there are zero penalties to doing it.
Yeah, in EA it apparently gave you +1 cha and -1 int but that's gone now (and I'd argue that wouldn't have been a 'penalty' anyway, if anything it was probably better than the See Invis part).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm having fun but I really don't care much for the combat mechanics so far, constantly having to check tooltips on everything to know wtf is going on combat wise. Even just switching to a different weapon makes your abilities all different again. Just doesn't seem to flow all that well, there's so much you need to get a handle on. I'd rather just get on with things.

I played 2nd edition AD&D tabletop a lot as a kid and I never liked 3rd edition because it seemed to always turn into endless leafing around books looking for rules for every situation. Never played tabletop past 3rd edition but looks like more of the same. 2nd edition was just a way to handle combat and let you get on with things, it didn't get in the way as much. Maybe it'll work better for me once I familiarize myself with the hundreds of abilities and their interactions.
I never particaularly played any DnD so only real intraction with it has been these TRPG games. But IMO its the whole pont of these tactical turn based games to slow the fuck down, think about what to do and your actions, moves, then act. They are not supposed to "flow" as you put it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I guess it helps I’m super familiar with 5e. I didn’t even consider people that don’t know current D&D. Get good?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, in EA it apparently gave you +1 cha and -1 int but that's gone now (and I'd argue that wouldn't have been a 'penalty' anyway, if anything it was probably better than the See Invis part).
Funny part is, because of EA I didn't let him do it on my first run through. I've finished my balanced run, now trying tactician. It's definitely a different playstyle, especially things like beating Commander Zhalk (have to use disarm command, buff up the flayer, etc).

I do hope they overcome their concerns and try to make an expansion, though I get it, and if they allow additional levels whilst in the original, you could probably easily be level 14 before you even reach the expansion.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Funny part is, because of EA I didn't let him do it on my first run through. I've finished my balanced run, now trying tactician. It's definitely a different playstyle, especially things like beating Commander Zhalk (have to use disarm command, buff up the flayer, etc).

I do hope they overcome their concerns and try to make an expansion, though I get it, and if they allow additional levels whilst in the original, you could probably easily be level 14 before you even reach the expansion.
And yet another reason DND sucks for video games. Never even thought about that one, lol.

Kulgan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. I'm still a novice at this whole thing. I think if you are rolling College of Valor or College of Swords, that probably makes perfect sense.

With College of Lore, I seem to be squishy, so I was thinking about doing 1 level of multiclass in Fighter to pick up proficiency for heavier armor and maybe Archery.
I went with 1 level of sorcerer and went Dragonkin for increased AC and sorcerer spells.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
And yet another reason DND sucks for video games. Never even thought about that one, lol.
Yea dnd made a huge mistake making epic spells above the scope of normal combat, just part of the leveling experience. Players turn into teleporting weirdos fast

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Enough content in just act 1 that any other developer would classify that as a game if we're just basing it off the amount. So I would gladly welcome another act at a cheaper price, of course.

But what theyre saying about adding levels and just the overwhelming power, that makes sense. But characters dont necesarrily have to level up to still progress. Something a bit more cheezy would just be adding another alternate advancement system. Similar to the tadpole. Or, adding extremely powerful weapons and armor. Adding a few more skill trees, new companions, etc.

Anything they do will be challenging, but if the success is as good as I feel it "should be" for them - then I dont see why they wouldnt release another act.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Enough content in just act 1 that any other developer would classify that as a game if we're just basing it off the amount. So I would gladly welcome another act at a cheaper price, of course.

But what theyre saying about adding levels and just the overwhelming power, that makes sense. But characters dont necesarrily have to level up to still progress. Something a bit more cheezy would just be adding another alternate advancement system. Similar to the tadpole. Or, adding extremely powerful weapons and armor. Adding a few more skill trees, new companions, etc.

Anything they do will be challenging, but if the success is as good as I feel it "should be" for them - then I dont see why they wouldnt release another act.
They could also just weave in a “mind wipe” event into the exp story and have you start back at like lv 6 or 8 or something.

• 2Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
They could also just weave in a “mind wipe” event into the exp story and have you start back at like lv 6 or 8 or something.
I like the idea of this, reset you back to level 4, but let you keep your ASI. Gives a way to increase power.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Act 3 spoilers:

How many if you are jamming mode tadpoles in to your brain, and did you go full hybrid when you meet the emperor?

I've been avoiding all the mind flayer stuff thus far ever since I first tried to use it during dialogue and it said it took something I'd probably never get back, but I'm curious how much or if it alters the story up until he offers to evolve you.

Story wise it seems pretty sketch as he just kinda glosses over how he isn't enslaved during his big reveal, so I assume growing tentacles is going to be a problem at some point?

Goddamn if the last tier of their powers aren't nuts though - free flight, mind blast, convert bonus actions in to full actions, it's all busted as fuck looking.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Hotfix just in, and major Gameplay (sic) fixes:
  • Penises C and D no longer clip through some githyanki clothing
  • Male gnome sorcerers are no longer missing their undies
(I kid you not: this is under "Gameplay")

• 4Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1I Came
Reactions: 6 users

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
This game feels so overwhelming - in a damn good way. I haven't been able to load it up for any length of time because I'm paranoid I fucked a choice up/missed something while exploring.

• 1Like