Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Need some help.

I'm getting my ass kicked on the first floor of the Moonrise tower fight, where you fight with all the people from Last Light Inn. I've gotten down to the last 3 or 4 guys twice now, and my party is just spent by then. I need a better strategy.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Glad I never did that. Probably would of killed my old PC(which I was on during that part). Even his rig, which I assume is really good, was lagging hard in parts of that explosion.
Need some help.

I'm getting my ass kicked on the first floor of the Moonrise tower fight, where you fight with all the people from Last Light Inn. I've gotten down to the last 3 or 4 guys twice now, and my party is just spent by then. I need a better strategy.

I took out casters and the paladin guy(he would just keep healing other people for 34 a pop if you didnt) asap on that fight, since that hand of something spell was brutal in that tight confines. Also spread my guys out. Sent astarion above into the rafters for bow shots. And used that druid to take out annoying casters on the right(she did die though , which removes her from game as follower it seems). Tried to take out cleric mobs and the warlock quickly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Need some help.

What level are you? I didn't find that fight particularly hard (tactician), but I was level 9. Levels do make a difference in this game.

Did you aid the gnolls from the charm lady by breaking the charm? If so they enter the fight to help you too. I just opened the fight with AE, and other than my fighter (Karlach) they all just stayed on the stairs and AEd everyone (keeping the AE away from the harpers were the hard part). Ice storm works well since it causes enemies to fall (and many harpers). I had to reload the first time I tried because Jaheira ran into someone and got aggro from everyone for some reason and died as they all went for her, but when I reloaded she didn't get aggro and everything was good.

Open fireball(s). Ice storm. Blade storm. Shadowheart with the shield pet and AE shield. Speed potion or haste on Karlack and she goes on a rampage. Fireball + Karlach oneshot the ogre. Maybe try looking at your consumables like bottles / elixirs / scrolls to see if you have any damage / buffs that would help.

EDIT: Forgot, counterspell is really good in that fight, as with most others. I had it on both Gale and my bard, so other than cantrips, most spells were blocked. /edit

PS: When you do finish that fight, remember to enter the prison again, I almost missed that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Need some help.

I came in from the prison level, and my monk charged into the back ranks with the quivering palm ability and haste. With eveyone so stacked l, that ability is fantastic for dropping a ton of damage on multiple targets every round.

Dropped a fireball on the center of the room and like D Droigan said, just lots of AOE. I guess it seemed easier flanking the enemy and being able to line up a big blast. Think I was 8. Really split their forces and allowed the Harpers to move in and engage.

Had Wyll, Shadowheart, gay vampire, and my monk main.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What level are you? I didn't find that fight particularly hard (tactician), but I was level 9. Levels do make a difference in this game.

Did you aid the gnolls from the charm lady by breaking the charm? If so they enter the fight to help you too. I just opened the fight with AE, and other than my fighter (Karlach) they all just stayed on the stairs and AEd everyone (keeping the AE away from the harpers were the hard part). Ice storm works well since it causes enemies to fall (and many harpers). I had to reload the first time I tried because Jaheira ran into someone and got aggro from everyone for some reason and died as they all went for her, but when I reloaded she didn't get aggro and everything was good.

Open fireball(s). Ice storm. Blade storm. Shadowheart with the shield pet and AE shield. Speed potion or haste on Karlack and she goes on a rampage. Fireball + Karlach oneshot the ogre. Maybe try looking at your consumables like bottles / elixirs / scrolls to see if you have any damage / buffs that would help.

EDIT: Forgot, counterspell is really good in that fight, as with most others. I had it on both Gale and my bard, so other than cantrips, most spells were blocked. /edit

PS: When you do finish that fight, remember to enter the prison again, I almost missed that.
Same. I used a bunch of AoE and decimated all of them. I don't think I even lost a single harper. Tuco Tuco maybe be SoL for getting it by the time he is already in a fight, but if you can find a gunpowder barrel, then the warrior/barb can even get in on the AoE action.

The only fights I found memorably difficult (on Tactician) were the ones at the end of the game. That's not to say I didn't burn some rez scrolls and use the shit out of a hireling casting deathward (looking at you, Gale).

As an aside, I finally finished the game and the last fight was rough. While I didn't reload at all, they were decimating my people so I just used the I-Win-Gale (button). It was a pretty cutscene, at least.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I love this game.

I really like the quality of the side quests too, the vast majority are tied to the events occurring in the world which is cool, they feel like extensions of the main quest rather than totally standalone quests, although those exist too a little.

The other thing I love about a lot of the choices you have to make is that sometimes I genuinely do not know which choice to make. It’s not good vs evil, or even different shades of grey. It’s mostly about what outcome you desire and how to achieve it, sometimes i don’t know which choice is going to get me what I want which is pretty amazing.

I’ll be replaying this game many times over the next decade I think.

Even doing a good play through, I find myself realizing that I could do another good play through and still makes tons of different decisions along the way…and maybe roll differently on some stuff that would yield a different outcome.

I‘m happy that I’ll be able to finish my first play though before Starfield comes out.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just finished (I assume a2?) and laughed/was sad. I came across the she-devil who owns Wyll's contract, and I may have forgotten that whole you kill me and he goes right to hell thing until about .5 seconds after ordering my worm to obliterate her and seeing his face go NOOOOOOOOO.

Not a huge fan of the concentration mechanic, think my 2nd playthrough will be looking for a mod that simply changes that shit to be cast & go like it was in Divinity:OS.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
4090. Though at max settings (4k) that too gets performance hits at the end of act 2, but act 3 is supposedly a lot worse. Memory leak or somesuch. Just hit the opening of act 3 yesterday so can't comment on that yet.

Since this is the very opening of the game I won't spoiler this.

In the chapel (it was more apparent in early access) it's the tutorial fight so to speak on environmental combat. There are two ways into it. One, you lockpick the door at the beach or at the top of the chapel. Those are the hard mode way in. Or you break in through the top outside of the chapel, where you shoot the rock pillar suspended on a rope and it breaks the floor, you can jump down that hole and it activates the fight.

The fight activates with a door to the room you jump down in opening. Right outside the door, where all the enemies are, there are barrels. Blow them up with a fire cantrip or something and it kills several of the enemies. In early access, there were so many barrels it killed everyone but one. So it was very apparent that it was a "oh this is what you're supposed to do".

On tactician there were only two barrels (not sure if there are more barrels on the other difficulty settings), so the fight was a bit harder. If you go in through the chapel by the locked doors, you enter different paths and that fight becomes much harder due to you entering the place where all those enemies are from a different room and the placement of the mobs won't be right on top of the barrels.
My first few tries I just went in the direct way, the first group would inevitably aggro me, trick the dude behind locked door & kill, then room with barrels it's just one ranged npc. The next room with sunlight/statue was where the 3-4 others were. My current game I scared the first group off, no expecting to succeed this time(missing out on disarm trap tools I guess) saw the block, and said hmm what does plunking arrow do, made a big hole, didnt even know you could go down hole, tricked/killed dude, all of the npc's in barrel room this time surprised me, blew up barrels, 1 npc attacks 1 of my party, then KICKS another INTO the fire I just made and kills them, but initial fireblast still made the whole thing easier, and they didn't spam firebombs in smaller space.

i'd try karmic dice, that might help you out. also note that there's no such thing as 100% chance for something because rolling a natural 1 is always an autofail, and a natural 20 is always an auto succeed, so the highest hit chance you can get is 95%. but there's also feats and class abilities that can mess with those chances even further. halflings reroll natural 1's for example.

as for sorcerer/archer type build, you're kind of gimping yourself because sorcerers use CHA to hit with their spells and bows use DEX. so a sorcerer will generally have a better chance to hit with a firebolt or ray of frost or whatever cantrip you're using. on top of that, cantrips level up at character (not class) level 5 and 11, so firebolt at lvl 1 does 1d10 fire damage. at lvl 5 it does 2d10, and at 11 it does 3d10. so unless you're leveling a martial class that gets extra attacks your firebolt should be your go to attack. if you want to use magic AND bows, you could try either an eldritch knight (fighter subclass) or an arcane trickster (rogue subclass)
I was just sorc, but switched to fighter, haven't decided on multiclass or pure yet. Just memory things, I think NWN games I was mostly sorc, and there was some type of arcane/ele caster archer type class in DA:O, so not even same rules exactly. Been a long time.

I'm finding things a bit better this play with fighter, and no more crazy miss/fail streaks on all my party actions.

I switched off karmic, it seemed to make things a little more RNG, dice still feel weighted in favor of AI though. I did exaggerate the 100%(I think Magic Missile shows 100%? Never seemed to miss), but I was getting crazy streaks of misses on attacks that were saying 75-90, while AI was wrecking my shit like SEAL Team 6.

I just need to get used to the rules and game I suppose, game has been fucking awesome overall, aside from downloading the mod to display all items, and save me from pixel hunting, OCD hell.

Nowhere near the hardest D&D game I've ever played, there was some Red Sun or FR game on either PC or SNES early/mid 90's that would push my shit in, and I never really got anywhere with it, mainly because i had no manual, and had no idea WTF to do.

Anyone else miss the days, where you would do most of your learning about playing a game like this, reading the detailed manual while you were having your first shit after bingeing on the game blind for hours? My ass would go soo numb, sometimes I couldn't walk properly from losing track of time reading. Probably cripple my old ass now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Heh Dark Sun Shattered Lands Gold Box. By SSI.

image.png

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Heh Dark Sun Shattered Lands Gold Box. By SSI.

image.png

My younger self loved that - edgy powergamer fantasy setting with assorted OP nonsense like quad-wielding natural armor jump-attack insect warriors.

I suspect it wouldn't hold up well to replay these days.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

I love how so much act 1 shit has an impact on act 3 stuff

Like that quest where you have to get the Gith egg to give to the lady to give to the Society of Brilliance for their nature vs. nurture experiment. You have the option of not doing it, giving them an owl bear egg, or giving the gith egg. I gave the gith egg and got my reward. Then in act 3, I find the Society of Brilliance HQ and find out the head of the order is dead because the Gith grew into a psycho. Then I fight his ass and he summons a bunch of psychic clones of my party that drain stats and kill you if you drain too far. And worse, the clones MULTIPLY when they hit you and they are resistant to tons of shit. I almost died to the fight and only got a shitty amulet out of it lol. I'm wondering if the place has better rewards if you give them the owlbear egg or dont get them the egg.

Also the girl that got nabbed by the hag - she still has her zombie husband with her and is trying to make him normal again, but now she is the leader of an inept anti-hag group lol

Also I got the demon romance scene

Mizora and my character do their thing. Then after it is over, Shadowheart is all snarky like "well at least they know you're inferior goods compared to me", but ultimately she didn't give a shit and was cool with it...so long as you ask her first in the future

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
My younger self loved that - edgy powergamer fantasy setting with assorted OP nonsense like quad-wielding natural armor jump-attack insect warriors.

I suspect it wouldn't hold up well to replay these days.
Definitely doesn’t hold up. I tried them about 8-10 years ago and couldn’t get into it for 10 minutes.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Also I got the demon romance scene

Mizora and my character do their thing. Then after it is over, Shadowheart is all snarky like "well at least they know you're inferior goods compared to me", but ultimately she didn't give a shit and was cool with it...so long as you ask her first in the future
I did too which is weird because
Shadowheart has gone no farther than kissing me.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Im almost done with my first play through. Did a Dark Elf Moon Druid. Played mostly as neutral good guy. Cannot decide on a class race combo for my second play through though.
My second playthrough is going to be a Paladin or Fighter that's the "Champion of 2nd edition" See, kids have it easy these days with their demon spawn, drow, duergar, dragon people shut, etc. Just let them play whatever they want!

Nope. Back in my day you played the races available in the Player's Handbook, and that's it buddy. All these new races and cultures polluting my Forgotten Realms? I don't fucking think so. We are taking this shit back.

Tieflings? Obviously can't be trusted with fiendish blood. What kind of dumb shit is that? Able to side with things like Goblins, Drow, and Duergar? Haha yeah no. They are monsters from the Monster Manual. They are the villains and disrupt the order of the decent folk of the Realms that live civilized lives in peace.

There will be a few exceptions, but when I'm done this game will look like 2nd edition because everything that isn't a dwarf, elf, half-elf, human, halfling, or gnome is gonna die.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
My second playthrough is going to be a Paladin or Fighter that's the "Champion of 2nd edition" See, kids have it easy these days with their demon spawn, drow, duergar, dragon people shut, etc. Just let them play whatever they want!

Nope. Back in my day you played the races available in the Player's Handbook, and that's it buddy. All these new races and cultures polluting my Forgotten Realms? I don't fucking think so. We are taking this shit back.

Bruh.

This shit goes all the way back. The Unearthed Arcana, published in 1985, is full of exotic races along with expanded character creation options (rolling more dice) and increased level caps for non-humans. Second Edition is full to the brim with bizarre shit. I've got a copy of Forgotten Realms : Demihuman Deities on my shelf right now and that book is some of the craziest fucking shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
Inventory is a hassle, but I pick up bags/pouches and drag that to the inventory. Can just click the bag and it opens up the options to use the items in it. The clickies I always activate when I do a long rest are detect mind and talk to dead + spell for talk to animals. Talk to dead is a ritual from the amulet you get in the chapel, so it is always cast after you activate it. I have the (pre-order?) helmet that lets me change into another race (disguise) which is important to have since many enemies won't let you talk to them after you kill them unless you disguise yourself first. Having talk to dead activated as a ritual also lets you see most of the people you can talk to when they are dead with a green outline. Without the ritual active, they won't have the glow. So if you do have the mask, remember to take it from the chest at the camp as soon as you can, if you don't have it, make sure to get the spell disguise self quickly.

View attachment 487305

This is my bard hotbar menu at level 10. Neck for talk to dead and detect mind then the neck I use to just click it to put it back after I've used the spells. Can see the pouch for items in the top right.

I also have a pouch with 210ish items so far which is every note / book that isn't clearly just a "story" book which I sell. I think the pouch is up to 25 pounds now.

I find a note with someone writing to their wife or somesuch I am keeping it on the off chance I meet someone where I can use it. Example: At the start of the game, on the ship before you crash, you find two "minds" in a jar. They weigh 5 and sell for 1. They do nothing. I could suddenly use them 70 hours later in act 2! +1 to score for rewarding my hoarding.
Fuck, I vendored those after getting sick of being constantly encumbered

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
just had another savegame that couldn't be loaded by Vulkan BG3, but could be loaded by DX11 BG3...

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I loved that and Wake of the Ravager. They were buggy as hell but ahead of their time in some ways. It’s be cool to get a good game in that setting.
I remember getting a multi pack of a lot of the old D&D SSI games from Sam's back in the 90s. Used to be a great place to pickup PC games on the cheap. Was literally 4-5 full box games shrink wrapped together for the price of one. Think I spent most of one summer playing both the Darksuns, couple Ravenloft games, and I think a dragonlance game. Those were the days.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users