Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Show me a L5 monster with 125 hp in ANY editioin of DnD.

The 4th edition Gelatinous Cube

1693957588644.png

Show me a gnoll trash mob in any version of DnD with three attacks around.

The 3.5 black bear, challenge rating 2.

1693957951077.png

Expanded crit is quite a bit trickier. I can't think of any off the top of my head. A d20 rapier crits on 18-20 but improved crit and the keen property tend to be level 8 or so. If I pawed through 1st edition I could probably find a pixie or something that would fit the bill.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
2) The map is 2D, but the environment is 3D, leading to some frustrating navigation issues where you think there's a path ahead, only to find out its unreachable
I loved BG3 but the fights all felt like they were in the same design of two layered wide corridors. I would've enjoyed it being mixed up with some wide open spaces, forested areas with trees to hide behind, really tight corridors, fights where the party was boxed in, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I dunno man I think you might just be bad. I came into the game not knowing shit and just read all the abilities, took hours on leveling up, and if a fight was too hard Id come back. The gnolls were the first challenge but my wizard CC carried me.

Think you're getting bogged down in the fact that monster stats aren't translating from the book a bit too much instead of
git gud fgt
I'm on team #gitgud here too. I knew nothing about the game or 5e and found the difficulty just fine. As soon as I started learning the rules everything started melting. I didn't cheese anything and barely touched the consumables. A skilled gamer with a lot of experience with 5e should be able to steamroll the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Walls were soo good in this game. Gale be dropping fire, ice, and stone.

Also I only party wiped three times on balanced. Once at the Gnolls, because I went in the back cave way, at Larrocan, and with Raphael.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Currently doing my second and third playthrough. My second just hit act 3 as a Dark Urge Oathbreaker Pally/Warlock. I have Minthara as a party member.

Third playthrough is a bard which I kind of hate but the dialog options are great. He is a college of lore for now. Currently slaughtering goblin camp.

velk

Trakanon Raider
A minor note too - the gnolls ( and other annoying mobs ) actually do drop their consumables when you kill them, just not if they already shot them into your face. You can preemptively pickpocket them off some mobs to make fights less annoying.

Mainly though - that part of the game is actually the hardest, when doing things 'out of order' has the highest difficulty spike. After level 5 everything is much easier with a few boss fight exceptions ( I lol'ed at the fight that starts with the boss throwing explosives all around you and then exploding them ).

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is a few ways to deal with Balthazar when facing the nightsong thing. One way is just to push him off the ledge. Works well but you lose out on his lootz. Another is to gather up all the skellies sneaking around and putting them all in a pile, again, close to a ledge, so when he casts his mass corpse raising spell they are all in one area and you can push the majority of them off the ledge or use explosive or aoe to kill them fast. Or maybe, I have not tried, is jsut to take all the skellie bones and just throw them ober the ledge so you dont have to deal with any of that crap. You can counter spell his corpse raising spell as well. Not sure if he tries to cast it again, but you just have to deal with him then and not the 10 skellies. Im sure there are other ways to deal with that fight too. Although doable im sure im pretty sure youre not supposed to face him before nightsong, this is why they made that fight so difficult if you try to off him before you get to nightsong.

The one fight I thought was way overtuned was the gnoll king fight in act 1. Those gnolls are no joke with 3x crossbow attack which can one shot any of your dudes if they land all 3.
I don't remember his loot being that great, I reloaded after I yeeted him off the edge with Eldritch Blast because I wanted to see what he had and none of it is memorable to me at this point.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Third playthrough is a bard which I kind of hate but the dialog options are great. He is a college of lore for now. Currently slaughtering goblin camp.
I changed from Lore to Swords like halfway through my run.

• 1Like

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I played on normal mode. Did not multiclass and kept the characters as stock as they were and had no problems with fights.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes. Mass effect had gays, and the asarii liara (who was just cross species sexual). But it's my understanding that they decided who could be the gay. Not everyone could.

But in modern day, errybody gay cus its a choice now!
The flipside of the argument is that it's the player's story. If that's the story the player wants, why shouldn't the game accommodate it? It's not a static work of fiction where there's some fixed, authorial intent behind the characters, especially the party companions in an RPG. It's an interactive fiction.

Goonsquad Officer
The flipside of the argument is that it's the player's story. If that's the story the player wants, why shouldn't the game accommodate it? It's not a static work of fiction where there's some fixed, authorial intent behind the characters, especially the party companions in an RPG. It's an interactive fiction.
Because the ham fisted narrative for the last few decades is that its an integral, immutable core of a person. Or character. Throwing it around like an old pair of socks indicates the oposite...that it's a trend milked for social advantage or an acquired pursuit for degeneracy

I for one am fine with the reality in art of it

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I'm playing by myself on Tactician, I don't have that much time to play.

It took a few hours to get the mechanics of combat, but the amount of versatility the game provides, makes most encounters fairly trivial.

If playing with a group of non competitive/non gamers, I'd suggest you have them roll something like a fighter at first, for simplicity. Then let them just get used to playing the game, which means maybe a lot of failure for a few hours. They can always respec down the road.

Otherwise the game gives you so many options, a massive amount of fights you can usually just avoid by talking your way through.

velk

Trakanon Raider
There is a few ways to deal with Balthazar when facing the nightsong thing. One way is just to push him off the ledge. Works well but you lose out on his lootz. Another is to gather up all the skellies sneaking around and putting them all in a pile, again, close to a ledge, so when he casts his mass corpse raising spell they are all in one area and you can push the majority of them off the ledge or use explosive or aoe to kill them fast. Or maybe, I have not tried, is jsut to take all the skellie bones and just throw them ober the ledge so you dont have to deal with any of that crap. You can counter spell his corpse raising spell as well. Not sure if he tries to cast it again, but you just have to deal with him then and not the 10 skellies. Im sure there are other ways to deal with that fight too. Although doable im sure im pretty sure youre not supposed to face him before nightsong, this is why they made that fight so difficult if you try to off him before you get to nightsong.

Worth noting as well, the third last platform you jump down from is almost directly overhead his platform and a LONG way up. If you throw things from there they get like +30 crushing damage from the fall distance.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had only 2 real rough fights. Went to the spider matriarch way too early.

Then that paladin guy at the end of act 2. Just so much burst, he was alternating one-rounding characters.

• 1Like

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Finished my first playthrough at 130 hours on Balanced. Explored everywhere, did all but like 2 side quests in Act 3, got all the party member quests done. Had an absolute blast with the game, especially as I leveled and got better at combat.

Went in as a Good aligned Oath of Ancients Pally, ended up sticking with Sword/Board; dropping multiple Smites per turn at high level was just lulz for the damage. Didn't use any Illithid powers at all, as i wasn't sure what the consequences would be.

Gonna take a break before another play through, thinking I'll go for a more Neutral selfish power caster next time and dip into the illithid powers. Maybe go Necromancer or a Storm Sorcerer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I loved BG3 but the fights all felt like they were in the same design of two layered wide corridors. I would've enjoyed it being mixed up with some wide open spaces, forested areas with trees to hide behind, really tight corridors, fights where the party was boxed in, etc.

I like the bg3 story and the cleanness and seriousness of it all better, but I think because of what you're saying I overall like the DOS2 combat better. Always just seems like such a shit show and was really fun.

bg3, even doing non-cheese, the combat was pretty much a joke starting early act 2

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I had only 2 real rough fights. Went to the spider matriarch way too early.

Then that paladin guy at the end of act 2. Just so much burst, he was alternating one-rounding characters.
Yeah I forgot about that paladin dude. Fucked me up many times loool. Like how does he get all those smites, like 3 in a row, at lv 5 loool?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like a lot about this game, but as someone playing couch co-op with their wife and another friend who occasionally jumps in online, Larian needs to admit it really wanted to make DOS3 instead of this. At least when it comes to the game mechanics. Story, art, graphics, and voice acting are all top tier, but their odd spin on the worst edition of DnD of all time is ruining the game for me.

Let me make my point by saying that anyone who complains this game is too easy is basically probably powergaming and save scumming, especially if they were anything less than L5 for that fucking gnoll bridge encounter. They basically tossed out the DnD rules (and the shitty 5e ones at that) in lots of places (L5 Spider boss somehow has an attack bonus of +12 and 125 hp?) but the gnoll encounter pretty much takes the cake. Gnoll Hunters armed with bows who are L3, but somehow shoot three times a round at a +5 to hit and spam a debuff thats not from table top that prevents the character from using their bonus action each round for the duration of the fight (uncurable and basically unlimited range of course). And oh yeah, they are all burning through about 1k gold worth of one use arrows and items that somehow magically never drop from them if you do kill them. These Gnolls also somehow generate criticals on natural rolls of 16 with their attacks. This is the "Balanced" setting. I struggle to believe anyone is besting that encounter on tactician and all that Explorer does in that fight is cut down on the consumable spam (along with the ability of the players to multiclass). Add to this that every boss or named foe has pretty much 4-5x the hp it should in table top along with nearly always the ability to full move and swing 3+ times (after even a Dash sometimes) at even lower levels, nearly always one rounding whoever they move up to, and its a recipe for frustration for anyone just trying to play the game as a casual table topper.

But mostly I am sick of having to jump around to get anywhere like a retard because nearly every square inch of space is covered in fire, frost, web, or poison. These are all DOS staples (and I hated them in those games), but the player mechanics were designed around that. Larian just took their AI and "balance" from those games and stretched a DnD 5e skin suit over it. And more poo, poison, and fire puddles than the average San Fran street. How about just using the existing rules and balancing around that? Maybe have the players fight actual 1/2 hit dice goblins in large numbers instead of every single goblin being two levels higher than the party half the time, built like an 8 year old powergamer DM made them, and armed with thousands of gold pieces of one use items? I suspect its likely because their AI never improved beyond the whole "shit damage goop all over the place and make the characters snared and CCed" routine from DOS1.

Its a single issue in an otherwise perfect game.

And don't get me started on their AI, which ignores the big Gith fighter bitch with 19 AC wrecking them with a magic spear to the face to dash two turns aross the map to mush a mage or other character who has not even taken any action.
I remember this fight. The particular area it begins in makes it faggoty because they will have the high ground on you.

Frenzied attack or whatever the fuck it is that gives the bow wielding gnolls 3 attacks a round was straight up horseshit. Here's how I beat it, on Tactician. Come up the side and hide behind that little hill that has a pathway around it in the center of the split pathway. Cast fog on the larger area where the gnolls are sitting and force them to come into the smaller area and the ranged ones can't do shit.

Whoever you have cast fog/darkness make it be Gale or whoever sit behind the hill where he's not exposed. Kill them easily as the range ones come into distance since they can't attack you. Kill the melee ones that attack you first.

For the spider, if it wasn't incredibly obvious you were supposed to burn the web bridges and let it call at least twice which would deal 40+ dmg to it and leave it prone a round. This was the intent of its high health so you couldn't just gib the spider when the fight opened by letting it fall to its death. Also why it had teleport/was a phase spider.

AI rushing to your clothies who are low on initiative and ignoring the fighters directly in their face unless a taunting strike or something was used is quite annoying and stupid. I agree there.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah the spider strat was obvious. My main issue is the inflated HP of what is supposedly a L5 monster. I did not realize that 4th edition started doing that with its creatures, but then again every edition of DnD since 3.5 has been hot garbage so I guess I should have considered that.

And again, edge lords, the game is not too hard as a single player tactics style RPG, but "normal" with couch coop really needs to not be an annoyance fest of souped up bullshit. Leave that DOS consumable ground damage spam shit in the Tactician category. I don't want to play jumping barrel toss, aka Donkey Kong Country, out of this sort of game. In an otherwise perfect game, the limitations of Larian's AI pretty much force them into this, it seems. Maybe they should have spent less time implementing all the gay romance options and more on decent combat AI.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users