Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
That movie is full of shit like that. If you’ve never seen it, it’s worth one watch, it’s fucking hilarious.

I watched it with some college buddies way back, it's pretty ridiculous. I just thought the sex life redirect fit perfectly with BG3.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
My char gonna join the janitor's union after I get done with my playthrough.

1694573036342.png

• 6Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
In our co-op playthrough there is one person who has really only played when he's playing with us. Every round of combat consists of three of us performing our actions, often on the same initiative value, super quick and then waiting around while he struggles to come to terms with what he is doing and how to do it.

He is struggling mightily with the UX and such and I wonder if it isn't that the rest of us are just used to it or if it really is non-intuitive?

Goonsquad Officer
I felt comfy with it after about five fights. And I initially thought it had strange choices that deviated from xcom just to do it

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In our co-op playthrough there is one person who has really only played when he's playing with us. Every round of combat consists of three of us performing our actions, often on the same initiative value, super quick and then waiting around while he struggles to come to terms with what he is doing and how to do it.

He is struggling mightily with the UX and such and I wonder if it isn't that the rest of us are just used to it or if it really is non-intuitive?
I have no dnd experience outside of video games. This is the first 5e I’ve ever played and only have five or six hours into it. No problems, it’s pretty easy. Sounds like he sucks at video games? Or maybe he needs to sort his skills and spells differently to parse them easier. I could see someone being overwhelmed by the large amount of icons. Maybe suggest to him to start his own campaign solo to get a better handle on it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds like a skill and learning issue.
About sums up my gf too. She made it into the druid camp, and over to the goblin camp just fine. Told her she could break the gob out of prison to get into things safely so she goes back, opens the cell, and then proceeds to walk right out the front door. Got pissy when about halfway to the jail door I started laughing and wasn't until after she opened it I said, "Did you really think the camp, full of people about to be murdered BY goblins, would let you walk right out with one?"

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have no dnd experience outside of video games. This is the first 5e I’ve ever played and only have five or six hours into it. No problems, it’s pretty easy. Sounds like he sucks at video games? Or maybe he needs to sort his skills and spells differently to parse them easier. I could see someone being overwhelmed by the large amount of icons. Maybe suggest to him to start his own campaign solo to get a better handle on it.
Yeah thinking about my response a little more, this is probably the 40th CRPGish game I've played and the fourth Baldur's Gate Game I've played. I can imagine it being overwhelming for someone whose personal life hasn't either been spent playing a game or wishing they were playing a game.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
For cantrips the stat used for the attack roll depends on the source of the spell.

High elf and high-half racial ability and wizards, arcane tricksters and eldritch knights use INT.
Bards, warlocks, sorcerers, paladins use CHA.
Druids, clerics, rangers use WIS.

In BG3
Magical items that confer a spell will use the characters casting stat determined by their class.

To figure out a spell or ability attack roll just hover over the icon until the info window pops up. Press T to hold the window open. Hover over the attack roll icon. Press T again and you should see the exact modifier to that roll for that character. Hover over this modifier number and it will break it out into where all the bonuses are coming from. (Proficiency primary stat, buffs)

Also when you hit something, opening the combat log and hovering over the damage value will give you the expanded roll information with which stat was used for that attack.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Spell casters/users I can see be overwhelming...using a melee oriented fighter like a monk or fighter might be an easier introduction because you mostly run in and beat the shit out of stuff

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Monks are just godly in this game. Multi-class Karlach into Monk and just start nuking 3-4 mobs per turn. My Warlock is also pretty god damn amazing as well. Super nice being able to talk the talk and walk the walk.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I felt comfy with it after about five fights. And I initially thought it had strange choices that deviated from xcom just to do it
I really wish D&D video games that are turn based would just give me a fucking square or hex grid, 5 ft per, just like you would P&P. The pathing and spacing and such in games without it is really fucking annoying, so many times if I'm not paying close enough attention it does some super retarded fucking pathing. XCOM having squares was great. Same with Wildermyth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
I really wish D&D video games that are turn based would just give me a fucking square or hex grid, 5 ft per, just like you would P&P. The pathing and spacing and such in games without it is really fucking annoying, so many times if I'm not paying close enough attention it does some super retarded fucking pathing. XCOM having squares was great. Same with Wildermyth.
And the biggest strange thing in bg3 for new players to grasp is the walk / jump movement economy. Leaping up stairs can double your movement. Knowing to leap a friend to save movement, etc...is key to using the system and it's grotesquely unintuitive

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And the biggest strange thing in bg3 for new players to grasp is the walk / jump movement economy. Leaping up stairs can double your movement. Knowing to leap a friend to save movement, etc...is key to using the system and it's grotesquely unintuitive
On my first playthrough, maximized leap on Lae'Zel (with a feat) felt OP, but leaping does have the penalty of burning your bonus action. Which in my new playthrough with a paladin, I have been wanting to use on other stuff.

• 1Like