Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
How Girthy is it?
talk show lol GIF by iOne Digital

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Larian & BG3 clean up at the first awards of the year at the Golden Joystick Awards (7 awards, wining every category they were nominated for). Don't normally care about awards but it's nice to think that these things might at least sting other studios like Bethesda/Blizzard and their CEOs just a little bit (I know Bobby doesn't care, but maybe Todd does).

• 15Like
Reactions: 14 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Larian & BG3 clean up at the first awards of the year at the Golden Joystick Awards (7 awards, wining every category they were nominated for). Don't normally care about awards but it's nice to think that these things might at least sting other studios like Bethesda/Blizzard and their CEOs just a little bit (I know Bobby doesn't care, but maybe Todd does).
They already blew their wads when it came out complaining about how it was unrealistic for a game of that scope to come out, and it was toxic to expect that level going forward etc.
Fuck em.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
They already blew their wads when it came out complaining about how it was unrealistic for a game of that scope to come out, and it was toxic to expect that level going forward etc.
Fuck em.

Yeah. It's fucking weird. When was it a trendy thing for one game dev to just shit on another game dev and say how "unrealistic" shit is. I forgot that video but where the guy needed like a 45 minute change and the coder pulled a total recall and was like "2 weeks".

I think the overwhelming amount of studios are just fucking lazy as shit and full of useless baggage they cant get rid of because they are all protected classes. They act like this shits impossible to do and unrealistic, because they think that everyones as lazy and useless as they are, while at the same time thinking they are gods gift to game makers, because they work for some AAA studio.

It's so nice to see Larian do what they did and I hope they continue to do so.

• 5Like

Daidraco

Yeah. It's fucking weird. When was it a trendy thing for one game dev to just shit on another game dev and say how "unrealistic" shit is. I forgot that video but where the guy needed like a 45 minute change and the coder pulled a total recall and was like "2 weeks".

I think the overwhelming amount of studios are just fucking lazy as shit and full of useless baggage they cant get rid of because they are all protected classes. They act like this shits impossible to do and unrealistic, because they think that everyones as lazy and useless as they are, while at the same time thinking they are gods gift to game makers, because they work for some AAA studio.

It's so nice to see Larian do what they did and I hope they continue to do so.
It sounds like its somewhere between that and just the bureaucracy of working in a place like that. I dont think anyone is surprised that more and more decisions have to bake through a committee selection process in bigger AAA companies because the shallow ass chance that they could be political, and in turn, have a political backlash against them. It'll always be safe for a company to lean into being liberal, over the chance that they could even slightly make a right leaning choice.

What I find funny is that I was told to chill when I was pointing out how the starfield devs were making fun of this game and I said its because Starfield is going to be a piece of shit. Turns out it is now that the shiny new thing aura has worn off, not that any non-fan boy is surprised. Its one thing for their game to be a shitty loading screen after loading screen, procedurally generated shit hole with no soul - as I honestly dont care about how great or poorly a game does. Play what you want. But it was just the sheer audacity of the team of starfield to put the release date on the same day as BG3 was originally going to release (before BG3 said they were releasing earlier than scheduled), but to also talk shit about BG3 and how unrealistic it is for them to do the same thing. Especially when they were clearly banking on their weight within the industry to not only get the box sale over BG3, but to also block out the sun when it came to letting BG3 get the press that it deserves.

I personally just think the people that talked shit about BG3's development and the amount of content it has should just get dunked on endlessly. The corporate fucking shills that they are. They should be mocked out of the industry entirely and forever.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
DoS 3 is gonna be fucking insane when it's realeased around 2030. Sad thing about it that DoS 3 might be the last swan song for Larian

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well tried to do another play through. Was going monk with new followers. Everything was fine, but got to act 3 and nearer to the city and its every 30 seconds everything in the game pauses for ~ 30 seconds except me. Its hilarious, I did this whole thing fine at launch on a fucking 1070/old i5. Yet new hardware and it 1000x worse. Its unplayable.

And its only using 25% of CPU and 50-60% of GPU, so its not as if its overtaxing my PC.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
AboWell tried to do another play through. Was going monk with new followers. Everything was fine, but got to act 3 and nearer to the city and its every 30 seconds everything in the game pauses for ~ 30 seconds except me. Its hilarious, I did this whole thing fine at launch on a fucking 1070/old i5. Yet new hardware and it 1000x worse. Its unplayable.

And its only using 25% of CPU and 50-60% of GPU, so its not as if its overtaxing my PC.
I think that Mortym 100% review talked about the latest update basically makes the game unplayable in act 3, even with a beast of a machine. Just massive lag no matter your settings.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think that Mortym 100% review talked about the latest update basically makes the game unplayable in act 3, even with a beast of a machine. Just massive lag no matter your settings.

Ah , I went and watched and he does. its crazy how bad it is. Good to hear it was just with the latest patch. Can only hope they get a fix in asap then. It was butter smooth all the way until wyverns crossing. Then its almost as if the game just gave up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Ah , I went and watched and he does. its crazy how bad it is. Good to hear it was just with the latest patch. Can only hope they get a fix in asap then. It was butter smooth all the way until wyverns crossing. Then its almost as if the game just gave up.
Did you try using the "bg3_dx11.exe" instead of the vulcan exe that the launcher uses?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah back when I played through the whole thing a few weeks after launch it was fine all the way through.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did you try using the "bg3_dx11.exe" instead of the vulcan exe that the launcher uses?

Yes. I tried a few things. Ran that exe as admin, set high priority etc. Tried vulkan. None of it mattered. Settings in game did nothing(and even at default high, its barely using the CPU and half the gpu). I checked their forums and it seems to be a huge problem since patch 4. You can load a save from before patch 4 and have no issues(my previous playthrough save ran around act 3 without a single issue, after I loaded it in).

Whatever they did really messed up companion following too. Since Act 2. I had to hit G and G again to get them to follow, jump a gap etc. Sometimes I had to take control to make them jump a gap. Hell I was in act 2 yesterday in the house of healing morgue and they constantly got stuck moving across the big room, with nothing blocking them. Or get stuck in too many doorways.

Last edited:

Burns

Yes. I tried a few things. Ran that exe as admin, set high priority etc. Tried vulkan. None of it mattered. Settings in game did nothing(and even at default high, its barely using the CPU and half the gpu). I checked their forums and it seems to be a huge problem since patch 4. You can load a save from before patch 4 and have no issues(my previous playthrough save ran around act 3 without a single issue, after I loaded it in).
Weird. I'm using a GTX970 on DX11, so I would think it would have the same problems, but just got to Act 3 on my second game, on Friday, and made my way straight to Lorroakans shop and the Devil shop w/o an issue.

Wonder if it would change anything if, while using the DX11 exe, go to your last Act 2 save, then make a new save as DX 11, restart then load into Act 3 fresh.

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Act 3 was fine in the start. Around rivertown, the circus etc. I did all that fine. With only some weird following things, where I had to hit G a few times. But as soon as I hit wyrms crossing crossing from south span, it would just freeze constantly over and over. NPCs walk in place, my followers dont move. I can move around but nothing else works. And the gith guy in raph's room is stuck in that room, he says "follow me to the tap room" but doesn't move. I tried to move him by picking him up, etc, but just stays in that room, says that phrase and never moves. The farther I got into wyrms the most the freezing happened. It felt like bad internet lag in an online game.

The game world froze for almost 3 minutes on the bridge lowering into the cornation area. I ran across no issue but followers just sat there and I stood next to a steel watch entire time , until finally it all started up again and the guard talked to me to welcome me and invite me to the coronation.

Burns

Act 3 was fine in the start. Around rivertown, the circus etc. I did all that fine. With only some weird following things, where I had to hit G a few times. But as soon as I hit wyrms crossing crossing from south span, it would just freeze constantly over and over. NPCs walk in place, my followers dont move. I can move around but nothing else works. And the gith guy in raph's room is stuck in that room, he says "follow me to the tap room" but doesn't move. I tried to move him by picking him up, etc, but just stays in that room, says that phrase and never moves. The farther I got into wyrms the most the freezing happened. It felt like bad internet lag in an online game.

The game world froze for almost 3 minutes on the bridge lowering into the cornation area. I ran across no issue but followers just sat there and I stood next to a steel watch entire time , until finally it all started up again and the guard talked to me to welcome me and invite me to the coronation.
Wonder if it has to do with time spent in the chapter then. I have only done the coronation (thought it was needed to open the city, but it's not) and a pickpocketing tour so far.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No clue, seems a problem for quite a few if forums are right, though 50% of them seem to be on ps5 too.

I dont think its a memory leak or such, as my ram usage never climbs as if there is one. And I can close the game and launch it again right into the same problem.

No biggy, I will just stop for now and come back when i see a hotfix. As its unplayable in its current state.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
The follower bug is complete aids, always seems to effect shadowheart for me and she'll just stand around in the middle of nowhere even if we're traveling on a road. Either she gets distracted by rocks on the ground or it was introduced it seems like last patch.

Next time I play through, I think I'm just going to murder every single person in a3, that should alleviate any latency issue I'm seeing. If there is nothing moving, curious to see if that improves things.