Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What you're describing sounds like their custom mode, pretty sure it has a single save y/n option, but you can ramp up hp/damage/give mobs the legendary powers etc.
Ahh, as I haven't played since the first month, people made it sound like you only have 1 mode to get the higher difficulty, so that's good that they have that option now.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If the game had an i tem of never ending summon smokepowder barrel than it would be onto something. Why kill enemies one at a time when you can kill whole buildings? Or whole towns? You get the idea. Maybe even entire races or large numbers of them.

Looked at my achievements for the first time. On steam only about 52% of players have left act one. Still doing character creation I guess.

Last edited:

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
why do some exploit the game to the fullest, breaking various sequences, memorizing where to stock up on smokepowder barrels etc. and where to use them, changing the classes and having hirelings tailored to every dialogue and to suit each individual fight, then complain about the game not being difficult enough? how about playing the game as intended, not changing character class after every rest, only using the original companions, not stocking up on barrels that are clearly there to be used in one specific instance, and going into each fight unprepared, drinking only the elixirs and summoning after the fights start?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People call the game easy because it doesn't scale well with character power, not because any of that other shit you want to blame it on. When you hit level 5, your party gets around an 80% dps increase from extra attacks and the game never scales with it. From there you do Act 1.5 where you really are meant to do either Grymforge or the Mountain Pass but you have companions openly leading you to do both and you'd have to force yourself not to. Doing both leads you to outlevel the rest of the game. Those 2 points in power spikes are why the game is easy as shit, not because you can smokepowder barrel, respec for fights or any of the other shit you tried to come up with.

Borzak

Some people use extra companions or hirelings in camp they never party with to provide buffs that last till the next rest. I don't get it either. They paid for it, they can do whatever they want. Not like an online game they are breaking the economy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
why do some exploit the game to the fullest, breaking various sequences, memorizing where to stock up on smokepowder barrels etc. and where to use them, changing the classes and having hirelings tailored to every dialogue and to suit each individual fight, then complain about the game not being difficult enough? how about playing the game as intended, not changing character class after every rest, only using the original companions, not stocking up on barrels that are clearly there to be used in one specific instance, and going into each fight unprepared, drinking only the elixirs and summoning after the fights start?
First, who specifically is complaining about the game being too easy?

Second, because this community (and many others) enjoy breaking games, and some of us enjoy when a game all but requires it to be broken to be beaten.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
People call the game easy because it doesn't scale well with character power, not because any of that other shit you want to blame it on. When you hit level 5, your party gets around an 80% dps increase from extra attacks and the game never scales with it. From there you do Act 1.5 where you really are meant to do either Grymforge or the Mountain Pass but you have companions openly leading you to do both and you'd have to force yourself not to. Doing both leads you to outlevel the rest of the game. Those 2 points in power spikes are why the game is easy as shit, not because you can smokepowder barrel, respec for fights or any of the other shit you tried to come up with.
Not to mention the Adamant Forge basically decks out over half your party with crit immunity armor, some of which is still the best armor in the game right up until the end. And if you grab the Lathander mace, big chunks of Act 2 are way easier. Toss in the fact that if you are extremely diligent, you can hit level cap almost immediately in Act 3 and you get some very oddly paced difficulty spikes and power spikes.

But there is a definite degree of power difference between certain companions/classes in the game. If you rock Lockadin Minthara, Stalker Assassin/Monk Thief Asterion, Bat Utility Bard Cleric Warlock Shadowheart, and run an Evo Wizard/Sorcerer main, you are going to demolish the fucking game hands down on pure efficiency. In some ways, the game is more enjoyable with less optimized characters even at lower difficulty. Most of it is the gear in the game, once you know where it all is. Some of it is odd mechanics that really should not be in there (Thowing Barbarian, Barrel shenanigans, absurd pickpocketting, ect) on the face of it. But then you have all the fights that were designed by a 3 year old DM (tons of immunities, inflated HP, absurdly high saves/stats) they have and people are encouraged to optimize, even on lower difficulty. And on the other hand there are a number of gimmick fights where level seems almost irrelevant (Golem at the forge, Raphael, Ansur) once you know the trick or gimmick to them.

Game is simply too huge to balance perfectly without resorting to scaling everything like Elder Scrolls Oblivion did. And that kills immersion. I am fine with the game warts and all when it comes to the challenge. People can play the game the way they want and have fun with it, rather than conforming to some edgelord poopsocker's idea of what a "real playthrough" is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
By act 2, I was obliterating opposing mobs without many of them even having a chance to attack. Thats without gaming the system or abusing barrels. If I was starting the game fresh, I would definitely make it so I could have all chat options enabled, though.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The ceiling is definitely higher on some multi class shenanigans but the floor is very high to begin with. A straight 12 Fighter with haste will do hundreds of damage a turn and can perma CC most bosses with a mix of trip and frightening strikes. That Fighter will also reset everything in a short rest.

• 1Like

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
1708613083394.jpeg

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The ceiling is definitely higher on some multi class shenanigans but the floor is very high to begin with. A straight 12 Fighter with haste will do hundreds of damage a turn and can perma CC most bosses with a mix of trip and frightening strikes. That Fighter will also reset everything in a short rest.
Pure class Fighters, Monks, and Evo Wizards are definitely strong. The main issue I have with the Fighter class is that you need to have some sort of fear immunity. Lockadins are powerful precisely because they cannot be disarmed and can minmax their stats around CHA, then offset the DPS difference with smites (which also partially reset on short rest). But yeah, a fully decked out Fighter Lazael with the fear immunity helm from Sarovok and either Baldur or Blade of chaos is a fucking wrecking machine on par with the most tricked out lockadins. Ultimately, the unarmed strike Monk is the most damaging character in the game with the gear thats available, especially if you have an ascended Astarion in that role. The only weakness the Monk class has is lack of access to a crit immunity armor piece, so if the computer decides its cheating time you can get gibbed.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
also this,

hopefully they wont go woke and allow no American Inventor mods

bq81s8xjq6kc1.png

• 1Edgelord

Borzak

Been thinking about doing a shadow monk. It looks pretty interesting late in the game, but getting there looks like a snooze fest game wise. With a few levels of rogue and maybe one of warlock thrown in.

Borzak

Kind of depressing the game doesn't go all that differnet when you have a mod that you can only roll a 1. All tactics and no luck, never roll a saving throw lol. 74 magic missles later.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Kind of depressing the game doesn't go all that differnet when you have a mod that you can only roll a 1. All tactics and no luck, never roll a saving throw lol. 74 magic missles later.

My take was a bit different, that person's game seemed extremely different from mine, from plot to combat to character builds.

Borzak

Still ended up at the same spot, different tactics not pure luck as I said. As opposed to people "OMG you can't have an odd number in your attributes".

Borzak

Not sure what they were trying to fix but dice rolling is kind of fubar now. You click roll the dice and then wait and the dice result comes up then wait then each bonus goes up to the result that's already there then wait and then the next one and then suddenly you either won or didn't. I'm not running any mods. Wonky. Kind of like the delay to opening trade with a vendor but now it's the dice roll.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
1000002738.png

Curious. The game has been out for 9 months and even the Xbox version is now old hat. Why has Larian secured a big and very prominent booth space at PAX East?