Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Looking good right out of the gate. Good detail on the side of the buildings. This was more than one grid, right?

This is what I'm working on right now. This is two of 4 flights (3 completed, one to go) of cannabis.

Not real happy with it so far. Need to clean up the point cloud and make a new camera path I think.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Looks good to me.

I took 1 grid and then flew around willy nilly taking pictures, I think most of them were up too close but it aligned all of them. I did have some stray points. Ultra quality cloud looks like it's going to take about 30 hours to finish.

I think I'm going to try a month of recap360.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What you just pointed out is the main advantage of pix4d of over photoscan. It runs faster on slower computers.

You should try a month of pix4d instead.

Picasso3

They're like 5 megs a piece! Moved on to rendering a warehouse that may be a future job. Everything went pretty well but I'm having a hell of a time getting it into autocad and I've tried 3ds, fbx, and dxf formats, most of the time nothing shows up and in dxf it has a bunch of 0 points or something. I thought this would be the easiest step.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've had a lot of file size issues with Autocad.

How big is the dxf you're importing? I think 600mb is the largest I've been able to import.

Picasso3

The fbx and 3ds were 50 megs, i reduced the mesh and got it down to 6 and it was still struggling. The dxf ended up coming it but it was total shit. I'm going to try scaling it, but for some reason when i do a dem it doesn't need scaled

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What dxf are you trying to pull in? I've never tried importing the point cloud into autocad, just contours, ortho and Dsm

Picasso3

The dxf ends up being a triangulation. I'd like to pull in a texturized surface. I think traditional autocad surfaces don't deal well with sharp turns eg buildings so i've been trying other formats. I thought 3ds and fbx were made for 3d models

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I really don't know for autocad as I haven't tried to pull a 3d model into it, but I use .obj, .mtl and .jpg for 3d objects and textures in other stuff.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Godamnitt, why does every fucking thing in the world have to be color coded? Now I know why they wouldn't let me fly in the Air Force...
FAA Drone Exam Online Practice Tests | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

pHyQdm7.jpg

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I am here, barely work is killing me. I did not get one as I have exactly zero time to use it right now. Work has one and will not be able to use it due to insurance. I have put the bug in their ear to sell it to me for $1 and I will do their work for them wink wink. Told them I am willing to sign a contract I have to sell it back $1 to them if I leave/terminated. They are considering it but I doubt it will happen.

Finished that 48" raw water line, so work is slowing down slightly but I am months behind doing that project since one of our young engineers were so incompetent I had to take over.

Saw you are retiring from the FD and going full time that is so awesome man!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Vepil Vepil can you elaborate on the insurance issues a bit, since I'll be getting more into that soon? We're insured right now at my company with TRM, but they're pissing me off because every additional aircraft adds 100% to the annual rate. In my mind (and with the other 7 sources I checked with), it should be a small additional rate for each aircraft for liability, and the full additional amount for hull coverage (if needed). It's fucking ridiculous that they insure each aircraft individually for liability, instead of the company's operations. I'd just like to know what hangups you're having on the insurance side, since I'll be doing all of this over again once (if?) I'm working for the engineering company.

....and thank you. I haven't put in my notice at the FD yet. The principal engineer is presenting my proposal to the board on Thursday. He emailed me about an hour ago and said that he has it ready to go, except a bio on me.
Shitballs, that's always the worst part.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
The company I work for would not add a pilot to our insurance as they could not distinguish between drone and air plane pilot. Thus the insurance was increasing 350% they said due to min accident due to pilot error was usually 2 million claim. I asked the president if he was going to go back with the new changes the FAA has proposed, got no concrete answer.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Would they be willing to use a different insurer, just for UAS operations? I imagine I'm going to run into the same issues.