Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
to test out the new ryzen chip, i built a new home computer, installed pix4d on it - just running "discovery" and loaded in that horse stable project i was having issues running on my work computer

new system
ryzen 1600
16gig ddr4 @29something (whatever the "stock" speed is under 3200)- i have 3200 rated ram, just cannot - yet- get it running stable at 3200.
250 gig ssd- with just wow and pix4d on it
nvidia 1060 6gig video card

work computer could not RUN the stable project without breaking it into subprojects (project was 150 acres more or less)- 1400 pictures- overall covered about 400 acres or so after all was said and done... and each subproject took at least 24hr EACH to run (6 subprojects)

initial go thru- took under 10 hours PLUS i was able to play wow for 3 of those hrs with barely a hiccup. (couldn't do stage 3 due to "discovery mode")

now with the new ryzen9 chips and the new intel chips announced i wonder how fast this "same" setup would run (16 core 32 thread is the top "ryzen" desktop chip now)- i am using a 6/12)

since i am still new at this (only used it for 2 projects, i want to expand more but getting some reluctance to use it, gotta figure out how to get rid of the artifacts prior to doing a movie go thru of it. but the initial image looked decent

other main issue i have- is due to where i live, not a lot of open spaces (lots of heavily wooded areas) so several sites i'd like to use it on, i cannot except for late fall or early spring due to leaf coverage.

gonna try the new 3d building flight path setting on pix4d to see how my house/yard looks this weekend. (after i mow the lawn,,,fucking engine control cable broke on my lawnmower and noone in the area sells a replacement... vice grips to the rescue.....

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
gotta figure out how to get rid of the artifacts prior to doing a movie go thru of it. but the initial image looked decent

Uncheck automatic tie points on the left side layer manager. Basically, make sure only point cloud/point groups is checked. Then go into the display properties under point cloud and reduce the point size to 1%.

If that doesn't clean it up for an animation video, you have other problems (likely) relating to your camera profile, camera settings and processing settings.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider

wish they'd have a seminar near me :/ but alas..

just paid off a bunch of personal bills(40k worth-2 vacations last year was ~20k), so once i get the reserves built up again so i can spare a grand in a month, i might pick up a mavic or a phantom 4.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
what i was thinking personally after looking at the "stats" for both the mav and the 4 pro.. few hundred dollars more for...better all around drone.

looks like on the 24th they will be releasing/announcing a new " personal" minidrone...

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
In Portland again. I was 3 seconds away from texting @tyen to come get a beer, but then I thought -"I can't stay up past 930pm".

Tyen, come get a beer in Lake Oswego tomorrow, but fuck off by 845pm.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Vepil Vepil - I have a white paper draft comparing a drone surface to a traditional topo surface for a sanitary landfill and I'm looking for a photogrammetrist to review it and try to punch holes in it. Have any friendly ones in the rolladex?

We're in a bit of a battle with the company we use for big-acre projects (last 2 jobs from them were off significantly) and I don't want to ask them in the midst of all this.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Let me ask around the last guy that I trusted retired a couple years ago and I moved about 5 years ago into engineering. Have had very little to do with the survey/photo world since.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Let me ask around the last guy that I trusted retired a couple years ago and I moved about 5 years ago into engineering. Have had very little to do with the survey/photo world since.
A retired photogrammetrist would be fucking fantastic, I think.

Less concern about the impact of drones on his job & job security, more experience to analyze my methods.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I do have a couple of friends that are registered surveyors that could lend an opinion as well. The same principals apply to comparing a surface no matter how it is made.