Bandwagon's Drones Thread

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Too lazy to read all 45 pages. Are the majority of people in this thread using consumer grade OTS drones or are any of you building custom stuff? I used to build my own before the FAA had to go nazi due to consumer market influx of OTS drones. Someone buy my customs quadcopters plz. Running some crazy stuff, dragonlink and some not so FCC kosher frequencies. Can get up to 30km++ FPV, telemtry and control with a decent LOS.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I started out building my own, buy I'm just flying ebees and P4p now.
I just do commercial mapping stuff....not sure how many people in here do fpv stuff

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
baMzkYW.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We're busy as shit, so even the crusty old surveyors are having to go out in the field.

Just got this text from my boss. :)
l5c8khs.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think we just got over the "hump" where there is any question as to whether or not drones have a benefit to engineering and surveying. I'm swamped right now and myself and a survey tech on the other side of the state are flying 3-4 times a week.

Just flew my biggest project yet on Tuesday, too. About 2,000 acres, 50 GCPs and 45GB worth of pictures.

This fucking map is going to take a week to process, but here's a virtual tour of the area - www.pbsenv.com/uas/broadmoor

Vepil Vepil

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah our owner is a fucking moron placing his meth head son in charge of the drone. We have had it exactly 3 years and used it a whopping 3x because anything he is involved in turns to a nightmare.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
More of a pain in the ass to update it every use at that point.

It's annoying using one after going a month without touching it.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I am willing to bet that drone has never been updated also. We have 5 guys licensed to fly it and he is so retarded he requires 3 to go out. One pilot, one camera and third for spotting, on a closed construction site?!?!

He just complicates things so much. He is also in charge of our fleet trucks, and if you want to use one forget it. The hoops you have to jump through just aren't worth it. Had a VP want to use a truck and when he saw the paper work and crap he wants filled out, he said "Screw this I will just rent one and expense it."

So in the meantime we have competitors running around using them all the time and leaving us behind.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't know what to tell you there. Yea, you're going to get left behind.

I think we only have about another 12-18 months where "fumbling" around with exploring drones is acceptable.