Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Last site we did this week, flew a 23 acre box, 85% overlap at 310ft - did that height due to it being a site that has a 120 ft elevation difference and tall trees and the take off point of the drone was nearer to the bottom of the hill.

810 pictures. Has an issue where the site was not loading entirely after the 2nd of 3 stages and had to restart it. Except for 1 gcp's where I did not use the right elevation (my bad. Should have used the survey elevation not the flown difference in elevation) elevations are all within 3" of shots we took via total station.

I'm using a ryzen 1500 and 16 gig of ram ...picts and pix4d installed on m.2 ssd. I have the setting to use 5 of 8 cpu threads and 12 gig ram max.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good call on increasing the overlap. Sounds like you've been getting a lot more experience? FYI, I've seen a significant improvement in results (less noise) with the Phantom4p after slowing it down further. I'm typically flying at ~19mph at 400ft and 14mph at 200feet. I also changed my processing template to disable "surface smoothing", and the results have been much better, especially on asphalt surfaces. Instead of trying to smooth the noise around homogeneous pixels, it doesn't even build those points anymore. Much easier to work with.

I don't understand what you mean about the elevations on your GCPs, though? You should be using the text file & XYZ coordinates straight out of the data collector when you're processing, not adjusting them with an offset of flight altitude?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Here's the point cloud for a recent one flown at max altitude, but much slower than the default speeds. Pix4D Cloud

Take a look at all of the gaps on the road and in the parking lot. This makes surface building MUCH easier with better results than trying to deal with the noisy points & surface smoothing in P4d.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Haven't gotten that far into the meshing of the survey data and the drone. MOSTLY due to absolutely none of our survey work is tied to the state plane coordinate system, because in MA, nothing except the state highways are tied into it. No surveyor i know uses it, excrpt for those that do state work. Ie we do not use GPS for anything- yet.

In ma we'll get a job, has a plan, just distances, on it, next plan in research for said lot land court with bearings and distances, adjacent to that a plan with bearing and distances different than land court plan, a street layout with angles and distances, that contradict one of the other plans numbers etc.

Met with 7 other surveyors today, only one has a drone and they are just starting to use it, they have not even installed software yet. Other 6 no interest in drones

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I really haven't had to work in a local system much because the two old surveyors I work with almost always translate into SP since I started. They make it seem pretty effortless and I think I'm spoiled.

I'm working on two landfill sites right now where the client's own surveyors provided me with the stateplane and local coordinates. I'm seeing errors of ~1.5ft in half of the targets, which I've never had before. Kind of a pain in the ass. I knew I should have pushed harder to have them use our own surveyors.

I'm working on my LSIT too, btw. I love this stuff, not sure why.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
horizontal error or vertical?
but ya, while we get work from other surveyors, unless we know the surveying co does good work we always send a crew out to "confirm" that the work is good, 95% of the time it is fine, a few times...not so much.

for example. doing work at 340 west second st in south boston,,,, lot to the left is 192' wide, the BUILDING is 192' wide, our lot is 130' wide, the next lot adjacent to our right is 60' wide and the building there is 60.03' wide. the distance between the buildings is...129.99'

surveyor that we don't know says the 60' wide lot's building is 0.83' over the property line..and the 192' wide lot's building is 0.8' into it's lot...
needless to say,,,that is and was not correct.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure if I'd like it more or less working in your environment.

Vegetation is a pain in the ass in a lot of areas. The sparse sagebrush in east Washington & Oregon isn't TOO bad, but anything heavier than that and I'm just making guesses.

Smaller areas, lower altitude and denser point clouds in an urban environment sound easier to work with, but then I wonder if terrestrial lidar would end up being the better option?

For the first time since I started, I'm fully booked for the next 6-8 weeks. I'm ready to hire some help, but not sure what to look for. I think an experienced lidar tech/draftsmen would help me out the most in the areas that I need help, but a solid GIS-P would help out a ton with how I want to make all this "drone data" available to everyone at my company.
It's weird being in an emerging market, especially because most of it has ties to longstanding professions. There's a lot of people out there with relevant experience I'd like to tap in to, but hardly any with experience that's directly related. They've worked with lidar, but no experience collecting it or vice versa. Experience with enterprise GIS, but not at the size or pace drones produce. Experience with digital only surface building, but not at the resolution drones collect or with survey experience, etc.

I guess I'd like to hire some one that I can learn from as well, but I also want them to have some experience doing what I do. Honestly, I think I'd like to hire someone to be my supervisor, and a photogrammetrist would probably be the best bet. Too bad they all seem to be 5 years from retirement.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
That is one issue with surveying, we tend to be older. I will be 52 in June and am just getting my stamp due to the 20 yrs of experience needed if no degree in land surveying. Some things drones around here cannot do well from say may thru October due to leaves on trees, but late fall thru end of april-provided no snow on ground, the drone is awesome to use. Hopefully in the next few years we'll get GPS up and running for survey work, which will enable me to do the flyover gcp's significantly easier.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Solar company im making AR apps for is buying this for surveying. Can I use this for better models Bandwagon Bandwagon

tyen

<Banned>
Also what kind of puter can handle point clouding like that in terms of gpu, ram, cpu?

Also loading it into modelling software on your comp. Since that shit has a ridic amount of polys initially

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm in a desert working on a solar project right now.

Leica makes terrestrial scanners that are used in surveying. Not sure about that model.

If you're making small assets, get a 3d scanner or make one with a 3d printer, then use your iphone.

For buildings, get a DSLR and sone software.

tyen

<Banned>
I'm in a desert working on a solar project right now.

Leica makes terrestrial scanners that are used in surveying. Not sure about that model.

If you're making small assets, get a 3d scanner or make one with a 3d printer, then use your iphone.

For buildings, get a DSLR and sone software.

Too bad you guys arent in Texas. Might be able to get you guys to do their surveying

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Vepil Vepil L Lenardo - Thought you guys would like these ones.

First 10 schools for Portland Public Schools. Flown in 1 day, processed files handed off to draftsman <24 hours later.
* The boundary polygons for the completed schools contain links to external files, like the ortho, virtual tour and point cloud. Click on a completed school site to see the links in a pop up. Also has some ground photos in it. The grids with numbers in them (200, 400, 0, etc) is the new FAA LAANC facility maps.
I sent all of the ortho DWGs over to the draftsman for 2D work, and he's using the linked point clouds to measure building corner heights. Working pretty slick so far.
Portland Public Schools web map

Working on a landfill surface. Need to pick up a couple more roads, but mostly done.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Very cool stuff, we haven't flown our drone in over a year thanks to the retarded owners son.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Very cool stuff, we haven't flown our drone in over a year thanks to the retarded owners son.
Take it home and don't tell him.
Leave a little pile of Meth in the drone case so he gets distracted if he randomly goes looking for it.

That's a bummer, though. Sorry that's still an issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
that is sweet looking bandwagon.

We've used the drone 2x in the past month, however the tree leaves are out now and that means not flying for the summer for the most part- my area is fairly heavily wooded.

first site was an 18 acre condo. we were JUST interested in the mosaic and the topo. used 3 known elevations for items on site not worried about the state plane coords, adjusted datum in pix4d via the 3 elevations, got a vertical error on the final comp of 0.03 which was awesome, used the dxf in function in cad, and imported the "asbuilt" topography & the mosiac (70 meg image ugh) into our project, redid the terrain to get 1' contours (i did 2 foot in pix4d) it all lines up perfectly, and the mosaic you can see where they installed everything,, and we can say, that the contractor "cheated" and put the infiltration system in 3-4' too low (side of hill, the top of the field was SUPPOSED to be 86 and it was 82ish..and is in the ground water ..thus not working properly to infiltrate the runoff.

second was in south boston, they wanted to know the height difference from a bypass road to the building- honestly i would have just taken the tripod and reflectorless total station and finished in 10 minutes with 5 shots from one setup- flew a small 400x400 box ran it under rapid and in 3hrs had the heights ..bypass road is 22.5' under the bridge center, 14.34' to the low part of the locus lot and the various terraces along the side of the road are 6.27', then 3.82', then 4.25' high respectively.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
hey bandwagon you see that the FAA is testing a new automatic procedure for getting permission to fly a drone in restricted airspace (mostly for near airports)now? your area (washington/oregon right?) should be live now. supposedly anything under 400' is an almost instant approval.

FAA UAS Data Exchange

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
hey bandwagon you see that the FAA is testing a new automatic procedure for getting permission to fly a drone in restricted airspace (mostly for near airports)now? your area (washington/oregon right?) should be live now. supposedly anything under 400' is an almost instant approval.

FAA UAS Data Exchange
Yea, LAANC just launched in my area yesterday. Should help out for the school project I'm doing in the Portland area. 70 school sites left and a little over half are in controlled airspace. The international airport is easy to work with and they're ready for LAANC. The other airport (Troutdale) is not, and I still have to use the old waiver process (100+ day wait) to fly in their airspace.

I've been doing a lot more drafting myself, which has been going much smoother. I think it's easier for me to learn the basic drafting standards than try to show the draftsmen how to use my software and extract their own vector data as needed. It's also made me focus more on trying to improve detail around hard grade breaks like curbs. I've been slowing the flights down to 8mph-12mph and doing perpendicular lines at 185ft and 215ft with a 75d gimbal angle. Point clouds are looking fantastic....considerably improved in the last month or two.

Here's a funny one from today. Land dispute due to an old legal description that references a road that no longer exists, supposedly running NW-SE through this field. I was surprised to see something that matched the general area in the DSM, so I made the surveyor a couple drawings with the DSM as a basemap and including 0.25' contours rasterized on top. He hasn't spent much time on it yet, but it sounds like they'll be able to use this in the dispute.

bach1.jpg

Bach2.jpg

Bach4.jpg

Bach3.jpg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Road go from the 2nd house down from that corner of the subdivision (house after the porkchop lot) to that triangular bit ~300ish feet north of that south road intersection? that image gives a good pathway for the road there...

other option would be the south side of the subdivision at the culdesac "T" but that looks more like a historic stream/gulley/drainage ditch to me.

you do know the term porkchop lot right?

my area isn't until phase 5 for laanc