Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Utah DOT giving a talk, funny side story-
They have a howitzer that they use to trigger avalanches. During one of their uses, someone accidentily put an extra charge in and the shell went over the top of the mountain and detonated in someone's back yard.

Zupa43a_d.jpg

Shell shocked: Errant avalanche bomb rips Pleasant Grove home

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Best session so far was an update on the FAA Pathfinder program this afternoon

Marke "Hoot" @ FAA - fucking awesome guy, and I credit him for all of the changes we've seen from the faa in the last two years. I got to talk to him for awhile after the session and he's a former 2-star that was at the Pentagon. He strikes me as a no-bullshit blue collar sort of guy and definitely one of my favorite people I got to meet here.

Todd @ BNSF railway - By far the most impressive UAS development and implementation I've seen in the civilian world. I don't think I can due their program justice trying to describe it on my phone. I knew they were doing some cool stuff in the pathfinder program....I had no idea how advanced they were. I talked to Todd real quick just to compliment him on what they're doing and how beneficial it is to the rest of us, hoping we can connect in the future. Awesome stuff, and I think he said they're about to launch phase 3 of their implementation and go from about 1k miles of track to nationwode deployment within a few months.

[Can't remember her name], "statistical physicist" @ PrecisionHawk - not a fan of the company itself, but this lady was fucking awesome. She's basically generating risk analysis case studies for UAS operarions to provide regulators with real-world data for developing policy.

CNN - Mainly talking about the difficulty in getting authorization to fly over people, and how the images they gathered during Irma help tp show the public the benefit of drones.

We also got invited to a small private event at a penthouse (was actually weird, didn't know that was a thing at shows) where we got to see what's coming down the pipes for LAANC, as well as Verizon's entrance into the market with 4g for telemetry and UTM, and 5g coming down the pipes for 4k streaming and in-flight data transfers/uploads.

Choo choo, motherfuckers. Full speed ahead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
we ordered the p4pro today via amazon since they have bundles etc. got the 3 battery bundle for 1830..(with other stuff we probably won't use much of) it arrives friday and if the weather is nice on sat or sun, i'll do a test run on my house (like i did for the p3a a year or so ago) almost bought the 2 battery bundle for 1650 but that had the lower capacity batteries, while this one has the higher capacity batteries. also will be testing to see if my older asus tablet will work with the software so we can use that instead of my samsung tab2 (for some reason my nexus 5x will not run the px4d software-rather it will, if it is NOT connected to the controller of the p3a i connect the controller and it crashes 100% of the time)

my son is a junior in high school and is thinking/planning of going civil engineering(if he graduates, he will be the 3rd generation working for the company, my dad is the boss/owner, me and then him)- if he does i am going to make sure he takes a course that covers drones and their software-as well as autocad..though we use a slightly older version of that..(ok its a 13 yr old version but does everything we want/need)

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good choices, glad you made the switch.
I made the switch to ipads about 6 months ago and it's been much better not dealing with the bullshit connection issues like android.
If you ever want to use drone deploy for flying, it needs a higher end tablet.

It's been working out really well having me do the planning and the field guys just launch the mission i made. [I just got in a fight in the parking lot while typing this. Fucking vagrants].

Anyways, if your son is interested you can have him give me a call. I can set up a few missions for him until he gets it going himself.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
He is interested, just have school to get thru, the college etc....he has a summer job with the company, so right now he is learning the field aspect of work when he is workjng. Drones around here have not taken off as much as it has out west, mostly due to high population, and a lot of trees/no wide open spaces like out west, plus most properties not tied to state plane system due to ma using a torrens system instead of sectionalized land. As far as I know we are the only firm in the immediate area to use a drone system to assist in survey (and we are just starting really for that)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
One of the other offices is in a local system a lot of the time. They've been tying some control in both state plane and local, then moving my files into the local system after. Seems pretty painless and they're still requesting it more and more.

Yea, I feel sorry foe the people doing this on your side of the country. Tons of controlled airspace over there. That "problem" should be solved really soon, though. LAANC is already rolling out at 5 airports in November.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
drone arrived, ... used my phone and the dji go 4 app and upgraded the drone and controller to the latest firmware. the 3 batteries and the controller are charging atm.

will be taking it home to play with tomorrow........

was thinking of maybe getting the samsung tab a 7" for work to use with the drone.

i have the drone deploy app but have never used it to fly a mission, just pix4d.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Tab a out as a choice, while the dji go app works fine, the pix4d app will not connect to the drone. Sony tab 2 works fine though. Might have to get another one for work, or use the old iPhone....

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Getting flooded with requests for volume calcs the last 3 weeks or so. 4 new clients, 5 more proposals in the works.

These guys were frustrated with the turnaround time and cost of a manned aircraft provider. I guess they've been waiting 7 weeks for a flight. Took us about 3 days from first contact to first flight (very easy people to deal with), and first imagery back to them in under 12 hours. Volume calcs in under 36 hours.

Www.pbsenv.com/uas/rivergate

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
that is badass, glad he has the walkthrough. Gonna play with that at some point.

Almost done with my AR minecraft/geolocation app for the iphone.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Dronedeploy bug is forcing the image size to 16:9 instead lf 4:3. This means I can't use our calibrated camera profile and it fucked up 4 of my flights from thursday last week, which were 3 hours away.

Getting really tired of the bugs that DD introduces every other week. Last time, the focus was being set when aimed at the horizon before pointing nadir.

I'm flying our camera calibration course right now to see if i can fix it and make a new profile. Otherwise, I have to drive back and fly them with the ebee.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been spending a ton of time trying to learn ESRI products and see what I can do with ArcGIS online. There's plenty I don't like about Esri (especially their licensing), but there's SO MUCH that we can do with it. I mainly just wanted a centralized database for all of my orthophotos so that our project managers can see what's already available and then download as needed, but we've found a thousand other uses for it in the process and we're essentially starting to build our own internal GIS now. Loving this stuff.

I can't share the main map that I've been working on, but I've put a ridiculous amount of data into it. We have all of the projects from the last 13 years from 3 of the groups, and I just got all of our survey PDFs imported and available for download, searchable by name or township/range/section ( Vepil Vepil ).

There's not a ton of info in THIS map, but it's an example I put together yesterday to pitch to a few vineyard owners. Very well-received so far. I'm hoping that if these maps have enough use internally and if I'm able to sell enough of them to clients, we can justify hiring a GIS-P with enterprise experience. I like working through this stuff and learning on my own as I go, but I'm afraid of getting 100+ hours deep into setting these systems up only to find out that I made a mistake due to inexperience.

Here's some screenshots of the bigger map I'm working on.
L3ZMoiW.jpg

DLChqcn.jpg
k6gLwUL.jpg
IKSiH3q.jpg
k00Csx6.jpg

• 1Like

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Very cool, I have been after survey department to do this and they are just lazy. We did get all plats, plans and all other types of surveys scanned in a database that is searchable by various attributes. Has made searching for old information so much easier. My previous company I created a GIS database of all jobs with proposals, costs, survey control and other information for the whole state that we had completed. I think it was about 20 years of jobs in that database that went kaput when they shut down the Atlanta Office.

I finished up a couple months ago adding a couple municipalities storm sewer and water inventory to Arcgis Online. Really is a slick system using iPads and phones to go out and do the inspections now for compliance permits.

• 1Like