Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I didn't step foot on his property other than last year when I flew it, but this is all about a boundary line dispute and everyone is on edge. He just didn't want me flying over his property, which I was only doing because I go 100ft past the property line to ensure I have good vertical all the way up to the property line.

We got into it for about 5 minutes, but it all ended fine. I told him that I am well within legal boundaries regarding where I'm actually flying the drone, and I told him the consequences for shooting down a registered sUAS. I also told him that even when we're legally able to fly somewhere, we still try to respect people's privacy because I wouldn't want a drone flying over my house and taking pictures, either. I told him that he has no authority to prevent me from flying over his property, but he CAN file a police report for invasion of privacy and/or harassment....then something along the lines of "...or you can start the conversation over without trying to run me over and then yelling at me...".

My boss was supposed to call him when I left the office anyways...turns out he left a message on the wrong voicemail. So me and this guy were standing in the parking with my boss on speakerphone when he said "Oh shit, I called the wrong Steve...". We both rolled our eyes and laughed, then stood around and bullshitted for a few minutes.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
don't forget jr/sr rights....

were the parcels in question sold out individually at different times or as a subdivision from a "master" parcel?

cuz discrepancies of property lines are handled differently depending on which way they were sold.

example
master parcel is say 5000' by 10000' rectangle.. oriented with the 5000' going east west -

owner sells "westerly half" of the parcel to smith then 2 yrs later
sells 1800'x10k section from the easterly side to jones then 2 years later
sells 750'x 10k section between the land of jones and smith to allen

a land survey of the master parcel in question shows the the land parcel is actually 5015 x10000.

how much width of land does Allen ultimately own?
Solution:
3 different parcels sold at different times...
solution
Smith actually owns since he bought HALF...2507.5.. (an argument may be made that he only owns 2500' but the deed says westerly half, which means...Half of a parcel that is actually 5015 wide, if smith agrees to the 2500' then that 7.5' would be owned by allen))
Jones owns 1800' in width- there are no overlaps wit h the parcel that was sold to smith.
Allen owns 5015-2507.5-1800=707.5' since his land overlaps with the smith parcel and possibly the jones parcel depending on where they started measuring from...

first parcel sold out gets all they own- second parcel gets all they own (provided it does not conflict with the first parcel) 3 parcel out gets the remaining land since there is no land remaining from the master parcel.

that same parcel as a subdivision (all lots created at the same time)

5000x10000

3 lots first 2500 wide, middle 700 wide last 1800 wide

survey shows the master parcel is actually 5015 wide....how wide is the MIDDLE lot?

(hint NO each lot does not get 5')

Solution:
since all the lots were created at the same time you have to apportion the excess land by the percentage of each lot is of the overall initial plan distance(5000').
lot 1 50%
lot 2 14%
lot 3 36%
the extra land is 15'
lot one gets 50% or 7.5' to make that lot 2507.5 wide
lot 2 gets 14% or 2.1' to make that lot 702.1' wide
lot 3 gets 36% or 5.4' to make that lot 1805.4' wide

if the lot was skinnier by 15' each lot would get Reduced by those same amounts

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
No idea, man...the surveyor gets to handle the legal stuff. I'm just responsible for getting everything in table A of the ALTA ;)

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
hey i gave the solutions.. :p

that is basic land surveying knowledge that they should know. (btw apportionment sucks sometimes--esp if the master subdivision is FUBAR in the first place-had one of those...shudder.....)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My crusty old surveyor knows that stuff, I just don't. If there's anything that's made me second-guess wanting to get my PLS eventually, it's hearing these guys talk about the legal aspects included in the job.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
national 6hr test that deals with the the public lands etc for the PLS test is a fucking breeze. (took me 2hr to take the test)

i NEVER have to deal with public lands quadrants, squares quarters etc. because MA does not HAVE that system. i still passed the test easily.

its the STATE specific parts that are a pain, and frankly shouldn't be all that bad since it is an open book test.. (which for some reason i cannot fucking pass yet)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

100ft NADIR B.jpg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
what drones are NOT made in china?
DJI statement about the fact from businessinsider:
At DJI, safety is at the core of everything we do, and the security of our technology has been independently verified by the U.S. government and leading U.S. businesses. DJI is leading the industry on this topic and our technology platform has enabled businesses and government agencies to establish best practices for managing their drone data. We give all customers full and complete control over how their data is collected, stored, and transmitted. For government and critical infrastructure customers that require additional assurances, we provide drones that do not transfer data to DJI or via the internet, and our customers can enable all the precautions DHS recommends. Every day, American businesses, first responders, and U.S. government agencies trust DJI drones to help save lives, promote worker safety, and support vital operations, and we take that responsibility very seriously. We are committed to continuously working with our customers and industry and government stakeholders to ensure our technology adheres to all of their requirements.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Rough day surveying from the driver's seat of my car. I love 2D surveys.

Phantom is barely visible, but it's in there

20190523_132122.jpg

Pretty sure I've flown every single vineyard within site of this video at one point or another in the last 4 years. 3 or 4 of them with my company, the rest with the company I work for now.

Last edited:

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Opinions Bandwagon Bandwagon . It's posted on my local gunforum as well as craigslist. I never moved beyond like $80 line of sight cameraless stuff. This + converted to FPV might be fun, though I doubt it's going to be that nimble if I start wanting to try pretending I'm a jet fighter with a fpv goggle.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Opinions Bandwagon Bandwagon . It's posted on my local gunforum as well as craigslist. I never moved beyond like $80 line of sight cameraless stuff. This + converted to FPV might be fun, though I doubt it's going to be that nimble if I start wanting to try pretending I'm a jet fighter with a fpv goggle.
Forget a link?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Nah man. I'm sure it's fine, but not really a steal.

I don't do FPV and I'm not the best one to ask, but I'd go for a Mavic + DJI goggles for a hassle-free intro.

Youll probably get better advice from getfpv.com than me on this stuff, though.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
There's been a big surge in requests from PMs for UAS stuff on big proposals lately. Here's the main things:
* Point clouds for Infraworks animations of conceptual designs
* Time-lapse video of traffic congestion issues
* Static images for the marketing team to annotate as proposal covers

It's pretty boring compared to the other stuff we do with drones, but insanely popular in proposals. We've used this recipe on about 7 proposals in the last 6 months. We've won every one of them so far, and got a lot of compliments as well.

I'm still doing a lot of GIS work too, but not as much to show off. Digital field forms & auto report generation is working well. I just got some javascript files working to do automatic reverse geocoding, checking current weather conditions, querying parcel/taxlot feature layers, etc. I got barcode scanning working about 2 weeks ago and as soon as I get caught up on my backlog, I'm going to put together a demo of how I think an asset management platform would look. I basically told my supervisors that I can put together a mockup to show the workflow, but what I'm building would essentially be a proof of concept because I don't actually have any idea how to build a stable GIS system that's ready for production work. We'd have to hire someone to build an enterprise system.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
SWEET.

i'm old school, the biggest thing i WANT to do is get all of my company's work we have done in south boston over the past decade or so and consolidate into ONE cad file that has most of south bostons property lines in correctly with the utilities we have located. but am WAY too busy to do this.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This might be a good thread to ask. Is there a reasonably easy way to make a large print from google earth? I would like to make an overlay that shows the fence lines and pasture names of my ranch and the neighboring ones and then print it out at least poster size, preferably bigger, like 4'x6' or something. Is that doable?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This might be a good thread to ask. Is there a reasonably easy way to make a large print from google earth? I would like to make an overlay that shows the fence lines and pasture names of my ranch and the neighboring ones and then print it out at least poster size, preferably bigger, like 4'x6' or something. Is that doable?
Not that I'm aware of, but I don't really try to do that kind of stuff in Google earth.

Send me a KMZ polygon of your property and I'll make one for you in the morning. Include line layers if you want those shown.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it someday but it will take me months or years of screwing around in my spare time to get the overlay to the point where it would be worth printing out. I will keep it in mind though, thanks again.

• 1Like