Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
SO the shanghai thing fake or not?

for that lidar "deck" to work effectively for survey topo work(not high precision work), in my opinion, minimally for a drone imo it only needs a 300 foot range and say 2500 points a second at a "90 degree swath"- pointed straight down 90 degree would be 45 degrees either side of the flight path a second. flying at 200 feet in altitude that would be a scan swath 400' in width and each shot would be 2 inches apart.

a drone flying at say 30 feet per second the there would be 30' horizontal difference from shot 1 to 2500- ASSUMING that the scan goes horizontal each way from shot 1 to shot 5000 would be 60 feet apart, which is imo unacceptable if just doing a single pass, which is why you would need to do a grid like normal with like a 75% overlap which would most likely net you at worst a few shots a few feet apart. - which would be fine for an accurate topo. the more points per second the better though. if linear scan, imo 2 units operating in oposition would be awesome since AT WORST with a single pass at 30fps you would have shots 30 feet a part

of course that is all in how the shots are taken by the unit. be interesting...

btw that 300 foot range estimate by me is the range of the puck. it's range is 100 meters

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
LOL. L Lenardo you should have posted a picture.....
1578601892317.png

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i didn't HAVE a picture of it though all the picture i got was a box and a playing card.

60degree hor by 10 vert...no word on the number of "shots" in that swath horizontal or if it gets it all "at once".. hrmm

90 degree down angle on a drone and this would work great imo

quick math,..200' elevation; a 60 degree swath is 230' wide with the farthest "ray" being 230' (equilateral triangle-if flat surface) 250' elevation the swath would be 290 wide with the rays being 290. imo fly no higher than say 240 in elevation to account for differences in grade. with 225 imo being ideal it would be a 260' swath.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea, but the precision reduces pretty significantly with the non-nadir shots too. I think less than half of our jobs are doable from 200ft

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Brother ended up giving me his dji phantom 3. Not top of the line but 2160@60fps Is good enough for me. Hopefully I can learn to take some cool shots with it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Brother ended up giving me his dji phantom 3. Not top of the line but 2160@60fps Is good enough for me. Hopefully I can learn to take some cool shots with it
Yea buddy, that'll teach you how to use it and let you upgrade when the photo/video quality is lacking.

Highly recommend picking up the Litchi app and find "Virtual Litchi Mission" for desktop. Made by some random dude on the phantom pilots forum.

Learn how to use all the different litchi modes and you're set.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been harassing the shit out of my boss to approve a purchase since they announced that Phantom4Pros were going to be sold again and I'm putting in an order for 4 more this morning. I was thinking about doing 6, but I think that 4 more will get us out at least another 18 months and we'll see what the market looks like then. I skipped the last 2 years of drone conferences/shows, so I'm going to go to the next one. Will probably hit the ESRI user conference, too.

The Mavic Mini doesn't look all that bad for taking simple pictures, but no app support other than "DJI Fly" and from what I hear it has really bad range compared to the other ones. We have one crazy as hell field scientist that is constantly flying the Phantoms at a really low altitude and under the tree canopies down rivers/streams to take simple pictures, so I'm going to take his phantom from him and give him the Mavic Mini. ;) Tinkers, "Real" pilots and hobby airplane people are some of the scariest people to work with when getting them started on drones. This guy is the 3rd, so he's always pushing the limits and trying to have fun.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I have a meeting tomorrow with 2 "dead fucking serious bigfoot hunters" to map some nearby mountains and make a dashboard for them to let hunters report bigfoot sightings.

This should be fun.

• 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I have a meeting tomorrow with 2 "dead fucking serious bigfoot hunters" to map some nearby mountains and make a dashboard for them to let hunters report bigfoot sightings.

This should be fun.

lol what's the approx cost for a job like that? are they making a show and/or affiliated with one of the discovery type channels?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
lol what's the approx cost for a job like that? are they making a show and/or affiliated with one of the discovery type channels?
No idea, itll depend on the acres. I seriously doubt it's an area small enough to map with the drone. It would probably be better to do with manned or just use satellite. I didn't hear too much about the specifics.

I don't think it's for a show or anything, but not sure. The company name on the appt is just "Sasquatch". Its two middle aged guys, one white one black. Both are engineers, too.

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
So I used to build quadcopter drones back before the dji days. Have two that I built and haven't flown in like 5 years. One is build for lightweight longer fly time using a pixhawk, the other is a long range "surveillance" drone that can get out 20 miles or so with decent LoS transmitting live video and shooting telemetry back to base station computer.

Put too much money in them. Their cool in theory but at the time battery tech was meh (maybe hasn't improved much? Haven't kept up). So what's the point of having a drone that can go 20 miles when it only gets max 13-15 min flight time..

Tldr: Bandwagon Bandwagon should I part these things out or do you have any cool ideas? Rocking an rf900 for long range telemetry, a dragonlink for manual long range control, video is being run on non-fcc-kosher band with non-fcc-kosher power.

Guts are good.. Thought maybe a long range fixed wing drone would be cool but it needs to do something for than theoretical "surveillance."

I gotta catch up on this thread.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Not sure, man. I do mapping and long range and FPV/live feed isn't really my thing. I really don't go out past a mile. I doubt you'd get much money for most of that.

I treat my pixhawks like they're machine guns or bottles of morphine that were legal at one time, but became illegal/controlled. I'm never getting rid of those.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
Not sure, man. I do mapping and long range and FPV/live feed isn't really my thing. I really don't go out past a mile. I doubt you'd get much money for most of that.

I treat my pixhawks like they're machine guns or bottles of morphine that were legal at one time, but became illegal/controlled. I'm never getting rid of those.
You do SLAM?