Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We just picked up an SX10(?) Scanning total station after our Vancouver crew had a rig stolen.

Did a side-by-side against the UAS point cloud on a stockpile volume job. DEAD ON on both and we're pretty excited. I only did a quick check this morning, but I'd be able to see a misalignment of more than .08'. Couldn't find a single spot. Vepil Vepil

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
NICE NICE the only thing i don't like is the fact that you actuallly cannot look "thru" the scope..a camera image on a screen-even live- isn't as good as the naked eyeball mk1 and my fingers doing the fine tune on tough shots (i have a slide on cup dial with a rod insert that makes the fine tune knob like 5" in diameter-for those really fine tune situations, i use it RARELY-mostly cuz too lazy to get it out of the car but, i can fine tune the angle shot very precisely if need be)

we are debating as to getting the lifetime pix4d license (been doing monthly as jobs come up- pay a month. go 4 months with nothing- pay a month etc), and i think for the end of the year purchases we make, that might be one of them, as well as a new hp plotter since the one we have is a bit old and the usp printer plug broke (the inner black part, the wires are still intact, we have the usb plug TAPED in the plug to keep it working...

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
NICE NICE the only thing i don't like is the fact that you actuallly cannot look "thru" the scope..a camera image on a screen-even live- isn't as good as the naked eyeball mk1 and my fingers doing the fine tune on tough shots (i have a slide on cup dial with a rod insert that makes the fine tune knob like 5" in diameter-for those really fine tune situations, i use it RARELY-mostly cuz too lazy to get it out of the car but, i can fine tune the angle shot very precisely if need be)

we are debating as to getting the lifetime pix4d license (been doing monthly as jobs come up- pay a month. go 4 months with nothing- pay a month etc), and i think for the end of the year purchases we make, that might be one of them, as well as a new hp plotter since the one we have is a bit old and the usp printer plug broke (the inner black part, the wires are still intact, we have the usb plug TAPED in the plug to keep it working...
I sure as shit have gotten my money's worth out of Pix4d, but we do a lot of flights.
These are virtual tours, which have been done on about 70% of the mapping flights we've done (And some of them are composite sites with >5 mapping flights)
1574792054506.png

Why don't you guys try Global Mapper + LiDAR module (with pixels to points) if you don't want to spend the money on Pix4d right now? Processing images in global mapper is REALLY clunky, but you'll get an orthophoto. Not sure how good the vertical is since I have never checked that on a global mapper processed surface.

GM + LIDAR module is $800 though. You'll get your monies worth out of it for other reasons as well.
1574792242459.png

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I know how to RUN pix4d and get good resolution on the topography.

the main reason why we might buy the lifetime, is we have several jobs(4?) lined up (no leaves on trees YAY) and the office manager asked about us doing the yearly subscription instead of monthly, i ran the math on the pricing and it is not worth doing the yearly vs lifetime.

4990 lifetime license vs 3504 Yearly license..if you are going to do the year, suck it up for a month income wise, pay the 1500 dollars more for lifetime and by the time the 7th job comes around it will have paid for itself....and the rest of the jobs you do will be just you as the boss paying employees for office time and the time for the one person to fly the sites (typically an hr), while charging the same amount of money as a field crew doing the work (they still do the site survey, just not the Topo survey). we charge, i think, about 1000 a day to do survey work(2 people 5 hr minimum)-slightly less if we know it will take a few days like 750 a day if it is a good client we work with a lot. an 100 acre parcel-would take about 4 days to survey manually so we are talking ~3000 for the survey plus a day of office work for the plan, that same parcel would take the drone MAYBE 2 hrs depending on the drone used. so we charge 3000 for the topo, and a day for the plan generation(that takes my computer a day or so to to render)

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That's really cool to hear. I thought your interest in using them had waned a bit. Didn't realize you further cemented it into your workflow.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
IT hasn't waned, but around here, most sites we do are sub 10k in square footage, so using the drone is frankly overkill for the detail needed. so i am interested etc. just we really cannot do topo via a drone on overgrown sites during the summer, too many trees in the way. drone season around here is end of november thru april, with breaks due to snowpack.

most of our work is in boston so it is flight restricted (though i have flown the drone there under 150 feet so no issues come up on one sight were we needed to know how far down the underpass was adjacent to the property (33' lower)

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Very cool BW!

We finally fired both the RLS's we had in survey and bought a company bringing on that surveyor. I moved back into survey as the office manager. We scanned a small bridge and area of a waste plant a couple weeks ago. Hoping we can get into BIM and architectural scans in the future. Been fun getting back into survey after doing engineering so long. We also have our own drone to do work with and the retarded owners son does his own thing with the drone he has.

Our lease plan is up Oct 2020 and we will probably go with one of the SX10s and continue to rent the FARO for DOT jobs until they approve the SX10 for use on them.

When you have time if you haven't seen topodot check them out TopoDOT . Drafting on point clouds made easy. I have been using an asbuilt to civil 3d addon that does okay picking the edge and mapping but this topodot looks so much faster.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
IT hasn't waned, but around here, most sites we do are sub 10k in square footage, so using the drone is frankly overkill for the detail needed. so i am interested etc. just we really cannot do topo via a drone on overgrown sites during the summer, too many trees in the way. drone season around here is end of november thru april, with breaks due to snowpack.

most of our work is in boston so it is flight restricted (though i have flown the drone there under 150 feet so no issues come up on one sight were we needed to know how far down the underpass was adjacent to the property (33' lower)

The FAA just added like....7 more LAANC vendors for airspace waivers last week. They're instant approvals in most areas now, so no excuses for breaking the rules! It's 5 minutes of paperwork before flights. Remote ID & Counter UAS are the current boom, so be ready for enforcement & fines to actually start happening pretty soon.

Very cool BW!

We finally fired both the RLS's we had in survey and bought a company bringing on that surveyor. I moved back into survey as the office manager. We scanned a small bridge and area of a waste plant a couple weeks ago. Hoping we can get into BIM and architectural scans in the future. Been fun getting back into survey after doing engineering so long. We also have our own drone to do work with and the retarded owners son does his own thing with the drone he has.

Our lease plan is up Oct 2020 and we will probably go with one of the SX10s and continue to rent the FARO for DOT jobs until they approve the SX10 for use on them.

When you have time if you haven't seen topodot check them out TopoDOT . Drafting on point clouds made easy. I have been using an asbuilt to civil 3d addon that does okay picking the edge and mapping but this topodot looks so much faster.
I haven't seen them before, thanks. I'll check that out. The Vancouver crew is working on learning Trimble Business Center right now and going back and forth between love/hate. I've been telling them for the last month "The scan is going to be the easy part. Wait until you start trying to work with the cloud". I ended up having to prep all of the files for them to get this job done because they were struggling so much in TBC. I know that Virtual Surveyor is really popular too. I tried them out ~3 years ago at a trade show and it was good, but not good enough to get me to switch from my current workflow. It's probably time to revisit that.

I do not normally make exhibits that go directly to clients (most of my stuff is distributed internally or through real-time dashboards now), so these things are pretty ugly. Sorry....

Terrestrial Scan:

TOTAL_VOLUMENET_VOLUMECUT_VOLUMEFILL_VOLUME
1129.6193​
1128.9246​
1129.272​
0.34732647​

UAS Scan:

TOTAL_VOLUMENET_VOLUMECUT_VOLUMEFILL_VOLUME
1130.2681​
1129.7047​
1129.9864​
0.28170315​

Profile2.jpg

Profile1.jpg

Terrestrial.jpg

UAS.jpg

compare_Page_4.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Lost another P4p due to stress cracks today. I noticed these ones about a month ago. Trend seems to be ~100 hours of flight time or so.

And I can't find new P4pros anywhere anymore. Anyone here know a rat hole somewhere that's still selling new Phantom 4 Pros / Phantom 4 Advanced?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
stankwoo stankwoo - Feel free to post some questions in here if I didn't give enough info in PMs. There's other lurkers with experience flying drones, too.

Heading out to this site tomorrow. Mapped this thing about 2 years ago, and I'll be out here every month for the next 3 years or so. Doing the drone hat trick (Survey mapping, virtual tours, obliques) out here, and I think they're going to let me go hog-wild with the GIS stuff out here as well. I'll set up a web map & project dashboard for it and, if I get the green light, order some jobsite cameras and IoT sensors for air monitoring and soil moisture and have all that funneling into the dashboard as a live feed. Looking forward to this one.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I just got asked if I was interesting in doing a voiceover for a superbowl halftime commercial, lol. I passed, but let's see if Verizon ends up doing a halftime commercial for 5G & drones....

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife and kids bought me a potensic d58. Obviously nothing fancy and a bit of a throwaway if it breaks. But damn I love that thing. Zips around pretty quick but wind can be a pain in the ass. My brother has a dji mavic that is awesome but 10x the price.

Cool hobby, can see myself losing all my money to it

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've never even heard of that thing.
It's fun, man....but flying is the boring part to me. Can you plan auto missions with that?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nope, but flying is the fun part for me haha.

Brother took some 4k vids of our hikes

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
WOOOOOOOOO!!!!
1578412033368.png

And I got this godamn email literally 12 hours after this little bastard arrived so I can see what we can do with it (it's 249g, so no registration/rules)
1578412140274.png

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i saw that email and thought. bandwagon is going to be estatic...unless they bork the camera up.

a few weeks ago i just flew 3 sites (finally) but i have been too busy to incorporate the resultant topo to the sites

first site- actually about a quarter mile from my house, ~10 acres on a hilltop covered by trees that the owner is going to try to develop- there are 3 paper streets and lots there currently, but the lots are all ~5k and the current zoning is 15k with 125' of frontage, there is a wetland and potential vernal pool on site, so we think after getting the record plan in (done in 1913 by a good draftsman/surveyor (plan worked excellently) we think we'll get probably 9 lots out of the deal-steep slopes with ledge are hindering it, but by following the EXISTING roads, the city CANNOT say the road is too long- even though we are cutting one of the roads short with a culdesac- we extend the road to the existing roadway, but the culdesac is -in all honesty a better design. the flyover with the leaves off got MOST of the trees out of the topo but a few dense clusters of trees and most of the houses(roofs same color as the pavement) got contoured, no real big deal, i just erase the contours after i dxfin the data. still waiting on the survey data to scale the mosaic and the rest of the site properly, i can see in the mosaic 4 or 5 stone bounds and a stone wall or three. we have not surveyed the lot yet, i'll add in the gcp's after that is done and tie it all together the do the next steps and do a preliminary subdivision.

owner is going to have an issue with at least 3 neighbors, especially one of them, those neighbors are encroaching onto the site 2 significantly - one neighbor has a built in pool half off his property- my client has leverage,,,he OWNS the property now, and discovered it, the pool is no more than say 10years so, its, a case of, you want to protest, fine, REMOVE YOUR POOL AND PATIO AND FENCE from my property... otherwise, when we do the subdivision, we'll cut out land so that your pool etc can be combined into your lot. other neighbors has lawn and parking and and above ground pool encroaching...so same deal.

I still have to tweak the mosaic a touch position and scale but nothing will move more than a foot or three. google earth shows no pool there prior to 2003. and a pool either being built or there in 2005. white boxes are 2 possible house locations. brown lines are the propsed new property lines purple are existing lot lines i highlighted the encroachment and the 2 neighbor lots, the far left black line is an existing stone wall that the mosiac is using for position atm-also using the back of sidewalks around the site for street positioning
CORNER.jpg

• 1Like