Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I was flying a bridge in bum-fuck nowhere today and found some cool art underneath it.

2020-08-05_1135AM__03.jpg

2020-08-05_1135AM__12.jpg

2020-08-05_1235PM__152.jpg

2020-08-05_1236PM__155.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This one turned out pretty good. I still need to mark more control and tie points and reprocess them all since this is 3 different flights, but it came together pretty well with just a few marks on my control points.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Sooo entering the drone era. I must continue to thrive my Walking Dead survival LARP.
Last time I checked a year or two ago drones was still $400+ for anything that was stable and took photos/cams.
Now it appears you can get them for $100 or less.
Currently thinking about a $100 Holy Stone HS100G to start

• Item weight: 176g ( FAA No Needed)
  • Dimension: 12 *7.6 *3.6 inches
  • Flight Time: About 13 mins
  • Charging Time: 180 mins
  • Camera: HD1920*1080p
  • Live Video Transmission Range: 492ft
  • Max Control Range: 984ft
  • Battery Capacity: 3.7V 1500mAh
Which has 3x the range of the Holy Stones $30-40 cheaper but the HS100G also has GPS/Return to Home.
$100 bucks is pretty cheap it seems for a GPS HD drone with 400+ foot range control, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't any better deals out there.
My max budget this month is $120 but every buck saved is well a buck I can use to buy Krystals or something.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I have zero idea what drones are decent at that range. I use mavic minis nowadays for taking photos underneath bridges and tree canopies, but thats about it. I think those run around $400 still.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Been having a hell 5 months now really at work.

First off My Boss(my Father) got diagnosed with colon Cancer in umm late january, early Feb. He went in for a colonoscopy and when he came out of the procedure, they were like, you having your surgery tonight or tomorrow. The surgery went Well.

then covid hit

he goes to the doc to talk about chemo to prevent it coming back, he went on the meds and the first round went ok. this was before the shut downs really started

when they took him off that round of meds, he crashed and Crashed HARD-this is right when the shut downs started early aprilish. he crashed so hard that 4 days after he was admitted to the hospital- about a 9 days after being off the chemo meds. they called up my stepmom asking about what extreme measures they could take because they thought he was going to die that day(that monday was BAD). he is STILL in the hospital.

meanwhile, the state board of land surveyors and engineers Cancelled the april Test which i was supposed to take. (supposedly the test is NEXT month and i am taking it)

so here i am with the boss in hospital and suddenly i am in charge of EVERYTHING:
invoicing, estimates. plans, bill collecting scheduling answering the phone etc . in the middle of a shut down. without really any idea what we charged for our services....i did a lot of research on old invoices for a few days.

WE did apply for and get a PPP loan from the GOVT.

civil engineers and land surveyors were deemed essential workers.

the Business worked(s) on a quick turn around model for the bread and butter plans we do- we typically did around 150 boston water and sewer plans a year (at ~3500 per plan)

we would get a bwsc job, do the job and ~3 weeks later have a plan submitted/approved and paid; onto next job.

BWSC SHUT THE FUCK DOWN! they had skeleton crew only for 2 months only 1 plan reviewer in office reviewing plans so they got SWAMPED. New Plan submissions went from ~1 to 2 weeks to get a plan approved to 10 to 12 WEEKS to get REVIEWED...

Needless to say, our revenue has suffered significantly due to the delays.

it is getting Better...plans we brought in in July are getting approved Now...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Bandwagon Bandwagon

what think you, auto drone in house

why not put a marking spray can in it like mace!

might as well make it useful

also LULZ at the commerical, white robber, mexicunt owner

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm back to contemplating a drone purchase, is there any reason not to go with a mavic air 2 over anything else in that price range? I'm not finding anything but also don't want to be overlooking something? For the feature set plus being from DJI seems to outweigh anything else I've seen currently.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

Bandwagon Bandwagon

what think you, auto drone in house

why not put a marking spray can in it like mace!

might as well make it useful

also LULZ at the commerical, white robber, mexicunt owner
When it comes to tech that is network-enabled and has a microphone and/or a camera, I want as little of it in my house as possible.

I'm back to contemplating a drone purchase, is there any reason not to go with a mavic air 2 over anything else in that price range? I'm not finding anything but also don't want to be overlooking something? For the feature set plus being from DJI seems to outweigh anything else I've seen currently.
I'm not familiar with the AIR models personally, but I am considering them as an option for simple site photos for all of our pilots, just because they are lighter and I'm less concerned about hurting someone with a falling drone. I hear good things about them. We're currently trying out 2x Mavic Minis. Good value for the money imo, but severely limited in features and range compared to the bigger models. I don't think the Air has those problems.

Skydio is the hot new kid on the block. Haven't tried them yet either because I'm waiting for them to offer a decent mapping camera. You might want to check them out.

• 3Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Glad you mentioned Skydio, I hadn't come across that one yet. Watching videos on it, the turn it on, pick a target and go is quite appealing while it does the rest.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
update on my work situation
father/boss has finally moved to rehab 2 weeks ago. over 7 months in the hospital.
work is busy and we are just breaking even currently(averaging about 6-7 thousand a week in invoicing-prior to boss going down/covid we were 10k+ a week) due to delays by the city with me having to do more administration stuff.. we are behind doing plans. i do have ~30 thousand in invoices owed by clients.

the october 22 Professional Land Surveyor test was a shitshow.
new location, hotel convention area with rooms.

not one person running it knew which room the PLS test takers(12 of us) were in. so we were in the hall for ~10 minutes after everyone let in as they figured out where we were sitting since our test is only 2hr vs the PE test takers who's test was 6hrs.
then they didn't have the tests in the room- had to go get those
then no answer sheets -since they were not in the test packet.
then no pencils since it says right on the attendance sheet that they supply the pencils.
finally test starts and there are 10 FEWER questions on the test than previously. (40 instead of 50)

got the results TODAY. i was too nervous to open the email attachment for like 45 minutes. then it would not open direct i had to save it, THEN where i saved it....had my previous test results, and i opened that attachment(which said i failed the test) instead of the one for this year which i got fustrated from (due to fail) for a minute until i saw the top of the page saying 2018, then had to find the 2020 results where i got 31 out of 40 questions correct (77.5- passing is 70), so now i am officially minimally competent. i am also slightly younger than the average age of a PLS in the state of MA (which is 55 or 56).

in 2 weeks they will notify me as to what my registration number is so i can get my stamp.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That's awesome! Big accomplishment! Average age of 55 blows my mind. My boss has been ready to retire for 3 years and he's only sticking around because they're trying to find a PLS that can spend a year with him before he does. No one else in this office has a PLS besides him now. We've had 1 retire (and then passed away a couple months later), 1 got hit by a car and barely lived, and the other 2 were let go a few months after they were hired because they really couldn't do anything other than boundary. We have a new PLS from North Dakota that's starting next month.

None of our survey staff in this office are studying for it or really have any ambition at all. I don't think they realize how shitty of a situation it's going to be if our boss retires and there's no other PLS in this office. There's only one other survey outfit in town, and they're not going to hire 100% of our crews if everyone goes looking at the same time. Bosses keep saying they'll support me if I want to push hard for it, but that would be years away at this point AND I'm the only one at the company doing 3 different things and I'd really like to continuing developing those (Drones, data collection apps & web GIS/Automation*). I used to tell friends that they should apply as a rodman with zero experience and start out making $18-$21/hr, but that's not as appealing now with the minimum wage at.....$15 or something?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Average age of 55 blows my mind.

A lot of trades are getting that way. The average age of a welder in the US is 55 as well. Farmers it's pushing 60. Construction trades it's about 40 but it's getting older every year. I hope people know that these people are the ones that actually make society work and software engineers can't replace them no matter how many we have.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
a boundary pls is fine to hire IF they are willing to learn the other stuff.

Personally i am more of a boundary person than layout, but i can DO the layout stuff fine, i am just better at figuring out property lines.

had a good one in BOSTON...there is a 4 FOOT discrepency between everyone's deed and the actual LAND that is out there (more land)
all the deeds, the plans of record and the street layouts say from the bounds to River Street on my clients side of the street is 676 feet and the other side is 681...yet the city of boston Survey Department for that same section of land, and my survey has 680 feet on clients side and 685 on the other side....all the Bounds are on the OTHER side of the road (farther down the road) check PERFECTLY, the one drillhole we find near locus checks PERFECTLY to the bound....and everyone's FENCE is off by 4 feet.........(everyone is measuring from river street down the road fence wise...

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been spending a lot of time lately looking over the "Atlas of Design" books from NACIS. This is one of my first attempts at a simple, "pretty" map-centric wall display, but I like the direction it's going. I'm wholly obsessed with cartography right now, so I'm sure i'll be going down the rabbit hole on this over the next 6 months.

(not the best site & photos for this, but it's just what I had on my computer. Setting up a template for future projects)
SteMichelle-Imagery.jpg

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've been spending a lot of time lately looking over the "Atlas of Design" books from NACIS. This is one of my first attempts at a simple, "pretty" map-centric wall display, but I like the direction it's going. I'm wholly obsessed with cartography right now, so I'm sure i'll be going down the rabbit hole on this over the next 6 months.

(not the best site & photos for this, but it's just what I had on my computer. Setting up a template for future projects)
View attachment 326281

While that might not be the most attractive site to use from a layperson's viewpoint (maybe it's nice to you map nerds), the template looks good.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
So according to ArcGIS Web Application
If I wanted to buy a $100 Holy Stone drone that can go half mile with GPS I not only need to register it, but gain clearance to even use it from my home, even if I just want to look around at my house right?
It appears such is the case for literally most cities with over a few thousand people in the nation.
So unless you live on the coast or out in the sticks, it appears your ability to even use such a cheap device is severely limited.

I am bummed.
Guess I'll buy 2 camping chairs instead.

The map lists areas by ceiling. My home is 0. Some parts of the city is 100, 200,400. Does that mean those parts don't need clearance? I am confused because they are still classed as E.

Being specific this is my area.
1609562747131.png

• 1Like