Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The drone seems to be working fine. The normal controller is wierd though as the right stick is hit or miss. Tried calibrating once and it got better but does not respond all the time. No weather to try outside just now as it is -15C.

I think I want to use the phone to control it anyway.

Edit: The same with onscreen controlls. I guess I need to read the manual and stuff. :p But as I got no room to try it out just now I'll have to wait for better weather.
I only flew the spark a few times during tradeshows and stuff, so not a ton of experience fyi.

If it looks >mechanically< sound, but both the controller and the phone app show that's unusually with inputs on one stick, I would have tried the same thing you did first. After that, try updating the firmware or rollback/update. Afterwards, do an IMU calibration and another stick calibration.

edit: Ohh, I missed your note about "seeing walls". Yea, that is probably the obstacle avoidance. It's a good idea to leave it on for now. Don't get too crazy with flying that thing around indoors until you're really comfortable with it. They can't survive too many bumps before they start flying funky.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I only flew the spark a few times during tradeshows and stuff, so not a ton of experience fyi.

If it looks >mechanically< sound, but both the controller and the phone app show that's unusually with inputs on one stick, I would have tried the same thing you did first. After that, try updating the firmware or rollback/update. Afterwards, do an IMU calibration and another stick calibration.

edit: Ohh, I missed your note about "seeing walls". Yea, that is probably the obstacle avoidance. It's a good idea to leave it on for now. Don't get too crazy with flying that thing around indoors until you're really comfortable with it. They can't survive too many bumps before they start flying funky.
Thanks!

Yea I think all that is enabled and it freaks out. :p It seems very stable and the control calibration worked showing all the inputs. Cant wait for spring. This cold ass winter sucks.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks!

Yea I think all that is enabled and it freaks out. :p It seems very stable and the control calibration worked showing all the inputs. Cant wait for spring. This cold ass winter sucks.
You should pick up litchi in the mean time. Looks like it supports Spark. (I didn't check to see if Spark supports waypoints, though) Litchi for DJI Mavic / Phantom / Inspire / Spark

If Spark supports waypoints, you can do some fun stuff and it's a whole lot easier using the Litchi mission hub and planning on desktop Mission Hub - Litchi
1613498361514.png

• 1Like

Aazrael

Had some better temperatures today so took the Spark out for a test run in beginner mode. Worked pretty good but had some lost gps issues, I have not calibrated it yet so might be it and flew it close to the house. The battery seemed to lose power fast but might be due to almost 0C in temperature. I read you should not use it at freezing temp but wanted to see if the controlls worked. All seems fine and can't wait for spring!

edit: Oh and I used the landing gear and the rotor guards so might have been a bit heavy and draw more power.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You can swap batteries in that right? Wouldn't be surprised if the batteries were damaged with the way people fly them. Try to land with 30% remaining to start, backing down to 20 when more comfortable.

Sounds like you got a good deal though. Play with those wqypoints in litchi!

• 1Like

Aazrael

You can swap batteries in that right? Wouldn't be surprised if the batteries were damaged with the way people fly them. Try to land with 30% remaining to start, backing down to 20 when more comfortable.

Sounds like you got a good deal though. Play with those wqypoints in litchi!
Yea I got 3 batteries with it and a charging station so should be good. Wouldn't surprise me if the batteries were mishandled. Will check that app for waypoints for sure. :)

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
What occurs in near-freezing temps is that the voltage drops significantly during discharge vs normal temps. How the chemistry reacts in different temps is pretty notable.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Skydio X2. I like the airframe, not a fan of the app after the first flight. I didn't realize it didn't come with a controller though, so withholding judgement until the one I ordered shows up and I can try again.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
How stable of a platform is it? Being smaller than a phantom i could see it being blown all over the place.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Haven't had it up in the wind yet. The props are small and more aggressive than the phantom and the airframe is much more solid and low profile, so I assume it'll be better in the wind. Lower endurance though.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've now gone through 9 new phantom 4 pros, all bad. Convinced other people to try there's as well. All that have the newer one (3 people) are bad.

Ended up sending a full writeup and examples to every drone-focused outlet i could find, as well as some photogrammetey and remote sensing organizations. Called my Congressman on the off chance the China/IP theft/security concerns/domestic manf alternatives is an appealing political angle, too.

Just stirring shit up at this point. I want feasible domestic options and the jury is still out on Skydio.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Cheeeeeeee Pono. I'm pretty happy I got this working, and it only took me about 6 hours. This probably would have taken me 2 weeks to figure out last year.

I created two new data layers to relate to my mapping boundaries. One is accuracy stats for control and checkpoints, the other is an image quality report from Agisoft (and some other camera stats). Once I get a hundred or so flights in here, I'll start summarizing the whole dataset to look for trends as they relate to deliverable precision. I need to add some more stuff in here like terrain following, flight speed, the specific drone used and I'm trying to figure out how to pull in atmospheric conditions (mainly wind and lighting, if that's an option) as well. This currently takes me an extra 5-10 minutes per flight to keep the database updated and my goal is to keep it under 15 minutes per project. Most of the other automation I want to do is beyond my skill level right now, but I think I learned a lot setting these ones up. Dealing with dates in different formats is the biggest PITA though. Need to get all of the field staff using the same codes for GCPs and Checkpoints, too.

Going to set this up to automatically email an accuracy statement to the surveyors once all of the stats have been uploaded right now.

1618517736281.png

1618518026025.png

Aazrael

Been a shitty spring with winds everyday it feels like. Good summer weather today and as I'm home waiting for bat flu results I fired up the DJI Spark today. Had some issues getting it all synced up with the controller but finally managed it with a video tutorial.

Seems to work great with the occasional GPS drop message. Not sure if it something around here thats messing up the signal, will try to fly it in a better open space later. Fly time seems to be 5 minutes or so, got 3 batteries so can fly quite a bit. Just getting used the drone right now, scared as hell I will crash it somehow.

Edit: Used up 5 batteries worth of flight today and the only complaint I have is that it wants to RTH at like 50-60% battery, can cancel it and resume though.

Last edited:

Aazrael

Got the Return To Home sorted. It was set to 500m height so it calculated going up 400m then moving to home point and descending 500m. Set it to 100m and it works great now.

Get vertigo by looking at the drone going high though... Still expect it to run away an vanish.

Really fun using in sport mode and it takes off quite fast.

Such a difference from using cheap 50 bucks drones.

Aazrael

I'll summon Bandwagon Bandwagon back to the thread so I'm not alone here!

While the Spark was a fun little drone it has really bad flight time, 15mins on the box but last only 8-9 minutes in real life. Also the 1080p camera isnt the best quality. But when it was released it was probably really good.

A guy at work bought a DJI Mini 2 and is really liking it. So I youtubed it up and it gets a lot of praise as a beginner drone. It's basically the Spark but way better cameras and flight time (25-30 minutes). Well I just ordered a Mini 2 Fly More Combo for around $700 or whatever the exchange rate is nowdays.

Should arrive on wednesday. It's really fun filming and snapping photos but being stressed about battery with the Spark took a little of the fun out of it.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'll summon Bandwagon Bandwagon back to the thread so I'm not alone here!

While the Spark was a fun little drone it has really bad flight time, 15mins on the box but last only 8-9 minutes in real life. Also the 1080p camera isnt the best quality. But when it was released it was probably really good.

A guy at work bought a DJI Mini 2 and is really liking it. So I youtubed it up and it gets a lot of praise as a beginner drone. It's basically the Spark but way better cameras and flight time (25-30 minutes). Well I just ordered a Mini 2 Fly More Combo for around $700 or whatever the exchange rate is nowdays.

Should arrive on wednesday. It's really fun filming and snapping photos but being stressed about battery with the Spark took a little of the fun out of it.
We have 2 minis and just had a gimbal on one break yesterday. Sounds like a common problem.

The other guy that flies one just asked me to order a mavic air 2 for him because the mini has shit range and shitty wind tolerance.

• 1Like