Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
When I got rolling with my company, there's a remote sensing scientist that kind of took me under his wing and taught me a lot (and gave me a shit ton of $$ in free cameras). A few years later, I met a photogrammetrist/lidar tech that did the same thing. Both of them are buddies of mine now. I'm pretty sure I just got the remote sensing scientist a job offer from the other guy, too. He's flying out to meet him next month to talk about a gig. I'm legit excited to have both of those guys working together. Very smart fellas.

Also, the remote sensing guy helped me get Rayshader working today. This is just my first attempt, but I'm happy. This shit is an absolute nightmare to do in Blender.
MicrosoftTeams-image (69).png
MicrosoftTeams-image (68).png

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Using these bad boys on proposals now.

Not sure I like the Vicinity Map, but this is actually a really good one to use it on (road and stormwater improvements)
1654801289145.png

1654801333043.png

1654801827957.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Just ordered our third drone, for now as a back up in case we are down one. Thinking we might order a third LiDAR unit now at this price point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We're getting our L1 on Tuesday. Already got it booked out for 6 jobs too. My friend coming out to do the training called me just to tell me the rock robotic dropped in price a lot.

Competing with DJI is definitely a race to the bottom, but a lot of these companies need to recognize that none of us are looking for the absolute top of the line system. We need something that can do the job, is easy to use and then the lowest price possible. Everyone that was scoffing at the L1 a year ago is dropping their prices to match now.

This is exactly why I didn't buy a VUX a few years ago. Even if I didn't pick up a DJI sensor, they reliably force the market to drop prices.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Harrison's plan at Rock is to lower it to capture as much of the market he can. He views the hardware as a cheap way to get the software/cloud side of users. That is where they are making their money.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Also - supposedly the Mavic 3 with have a mechanical ahitter camera, thermal and RTK. ;)

M30 is supposed to have some cool tool for taking a series of photos of an object, like a tower, then put them in individual folders and generate an HTML file for easy viewing. Very inspection-focused.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Also - supposedly the Mavic 3 with have a mechanical ahitter camera, thermal and RTK. ;)

M30 is supposed to have some cool tool for taking a series of photos of an object, like a tower, then put them in individual folders and generate an HTML file for easy viewing. Very inspection-focused.
Yeah the M30 is very police/fire focused in the demo I saw. Not very survey or engineering friendly except maybe for inspections but then seems overkill.

For TBC I used it a few times for smaller jobs since it sucks handling the point clouds we generate. I did do some classifications with it and thought TBC handled it really well.

How has the L1 been this week, did you get to use it?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the M30 is very police/fire focused in the demo I saw. Not very survey or engineering friendly except maybe for inspections but then seems overkill.

For TBC I used it a few times for smaller jobs since it sucks handling the point clouds we generate. I did do some classifications with it and thought TBC handled it really well.
You do any modeling of structures or bridges?

I'm just going to hire 2x people to work with me full time. I'm tired of trying to borrow survey and engineering drafters and get them proficient, which never happens. Going to keep the arrangement of the current UAS program for everything +survey 2D, then have a small dedicated team for lidar and full blown 3D drafting.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
You do any modeling of structures or bridges?

I'm just going to hire 2x people to work with me full time. I'm tired of trying to borrow survey and engineering drafters and get them proficient, which never happens. Going to keep the arrangement of the current UAS program for everything +survey 2D, then have a small dedicated team for lidar and full blown 3D drafting.
Nah I have used Cyclone from Leica and Plant 3D for that. I did a few sewer vault/manholes in Civil 3D a few months go making solid objects and applying a texture. The engineers and county seemed to love them I thought it was just average at best. Years back I used Trimble Realworks but I don't even know if that is still around.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm about to buy Microstation and topodot just because its so standard for DOT projects, but I have trouble believing that's still the best thing out there. Its so dated.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I'm about to buy Microstation and topodot just because its so standard for DOT projects, but I have trouble believing that's still the best thing out there. Its so dated.

Microstation is unbelievable how well it handles point clouds. I can load nearly 500 million points and no issues. At 1 billion points you get some redraw lag but if you are not viewing the whole point cloud and doing fences/cross sectioning then its still as fast.

They keep updating it, I like it so far does everything I need though I probably should dig more into the automation part of it.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Alright alright alright, I'll get the damn thing. I didn't see anything for drawing structures that I was excited about during the demo though.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
L1 - Failed to get to ground in ~2ft tall wheat. Not surprising. Nailed it in most of the other areas on the site we used for training. There was an area with dense canopy that it only got a few ground hits on....but it's very similar to the site where we go the demo a few months ago, which was fantastic. I'll just have to start paying attention to leaf-on/leaf-of for this stuff. The flight was also nearly max altitude and we were trying to give everyone time on the sticks, so maybe it'll be improved a little bit when I start fiddling with the flight settings.

P1 - Fucking awesome. Love the camera.

"Smart oblique" capture is awesome. 3D Model still looks like hot garbage in Pix4d. Looks pretty good in Metashape.....but it's fantastic in DJI Terra.
1656536958636.png

The spot between the rail cars and the elevator is where I expected a bunch of garbage and spiderwebbing in the mesh.....
1656537016160.png

It's definitely worse than the rest of the model.....but it still picked up a f'ing rat trap underneath the platform....
1656537068922.png

We used this site as a test because it's remote and has a lot of shit on the roof that's about the toughest thing to get to work with photogrammetry -> 3d Mesh. It did a pretty damn good job though.
1656537157618.png

1656537243982.png

Here's a quick flight we did over powerlines and railroad tracks, just playing around with the corridor flight planning options.
1656536824126.png

1656536851844.png

1656536910472.png

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
btw, this is the same spot I flew in 2016 and posted here, when I was trying to figure out the best way to fly/acquire images for a 3D model.

1656538139397.png

Last edited:
  • 1Wow!
  • 1Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Holy cow.

Lidar working well for forest inventory yet?
Haven't tried that one yet. We have a dataset with a geoslam we rented, haven't tried processing anything from it yet. The guy that rented it went bonkers for about a week, so I think we have 16 or 18 datasets.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Haven't tried that one yet. We have a dataset with a geoslam we rented, haven't tried processing anything from it yet. The guy that rented it went bonkers for about a week, so I think we have 16 or 18 datasets.

From what I've heard, most forest inventory depends on changing the light spectrum, so you can see diff colors of leaves and determine species. And this is mostly a manual process?

And even then they still have to have someone go out and manually plot the stand of timber to get an idea of DBH (diameter breast height), or in other words the diameter of the trees 4' off the ground.