1647563080372.png

1647563096543.png

1647563125037.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Do you hate clouds? I've noticed over the years there's fewer and fewer cloud shadows on Google Earth.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Do you hate clouds? I've noticed over the years there's fewer and fewer cloud shadows on Google Earth.
Clouds like what you see in those pictures are absolutely perfect. Best lighting conditions you could hope for in photogrammetry. Overcast skies with bright, diffused lighting. Plenty of light, but no shadows.

I hate shadows because of how it affects my 3d data. The quality of the point cloud is just shit in shadows. I honestly don't care about it in the orthophoto for 2d drafting. 99% of my "clients" are internal and we use the orthophotos to generate the final product. If that wasn't the case, shadows would be more of an issue because it affects the visual quality (and most public clients have stipulations on it).

It's funny to think that "i fucking hate clouds" is basically the thought that got me here, though. I cold-called the company I now work for one day after I was pissed off that my multispectral mapping the day before was all wasted because of a single cloud passing overhead in the middle of my flights. I decided I was tired of clouds fucking up a whole days worth of work and I was going to go find clients where it doesn't matter. Surveyors don't care about multispectral.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Here's an animation for the area in those pictures

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Well we have a second drone/lidar up flying now and have both booked through July. The amount of work coming through the doors is absolutely crazy right now. Some of these jobs we have added around a 40% markup and people are still signing the proposals.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Spending a lot of time playing with this lidar dataset from the demo. I'll probably write in more later, but just thought I'd jot some notes down

*300ft AGL looks great. ~500ft AGL is looking pretty shitty.
*Automatic ground classification is not flawless, but way better than I was expecting.

CAD Surface building
*Smooth point cloud 10% w/ 0.5ft spacing looks like it does a better job of normalizing near-surface noise than binning (so far) (Edit: maybe not...)
*Binning - Min - 10pt spacing to 20pt spacing (~.5ft to 1.5ft) looks like the sweet spot for this dataset, but I didn't see tops/toes starting to get rounded off until right around 20pt spacings
*Whitebox Tools "FeaturePreservingSmoothing" appears to work very well, but I haven't spent too much time looking it over yet.
Whitebox Tools "SmoothVegetationResidual" looks potentially useful, but it's a paid tool so I didn't try it. (Interested in using it more for public lidar datasets though, based on a project I was working on yesterday with a geologist that was confusing vegetation presence in a NOAA lidar dataset as real geo features)

Last edited:

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
We fly everything at 400' AGL, 8-10 mph with 50% overlap. We can get down to 30% but then quality starts to get questionable. This really has worked great for us and will probably continue to do so during leaf on season with cross hatching.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We fly everything at 400' AGL, 8-10 mph with 50% overlap. We can get down to 30% but then quality starts to get questionable. This really has worked great for us and will probably continue to do so during leaf on season with cross hatching.
I'm really surprised at how well the automatic ground classification worked in Terrasolid.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I'm really surprised at how well the automatic ground classification worked in Terrasolid.
Cool, I have not had the chance to try anything with it.

I misspoke above about the AGL we actually fly at 200' the lidar and 400' if we are doing an ortho in hard identification areas. Doing that transmission line in the mountains and this is what the DJI terrain follow looks like sticking to 200' AGL on a DEM file.

terrain follow.JPG

• 1Like

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
So the insurance paid out on the DJI m210 that crashed and work gave me the drone/batteries/controller to do with as I want. I tested and it appears no electronics were harmed in the crash just a lot of physical damage that was in the 3k range to replace and some parts not available. I bought a 550mm carbon fiber frame and planning on transferring the guts to it and see if I can get it flying again. It will be ugly and it will be glorious if I can get it up and running flying for a second time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Also forgot to give you an update, I started using the Rock Robotic Cloud to create contours and it is surprisingly very close. Close enough in the survey world that things you notice in the LiDAR and contours would be easily walked past in the field and never recorded. Overall we feel its good enough for certain types of surveys and will be using it to speed up delivery and increase profit on some of these jobs.

Cost me $460 to get 1' contours on a 227 AC site using their cloud vs me creating the ground points/breaklines to come up with the nearly the same at a cost of about $3500. Nice little addition to our profit line and my bonuses this year.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That's why I'm so excited about the l1. The automatic classification looks so good that I think I can essentially eliminate the need for most of the manual surface building on over half of our projects.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hello valued customer,

We are announcing today that Skyward, A Verizon company, will be ending operations in the coming weeks.

This was not an easy decision. The Verizon Robotics team will be focusing our efforts on ground robot management, connectivity services, and solution development.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this will cause you.

We seek to give you the smoothest possible transition off Skyward without significantly impacting your flight operations. In compliance with our Terms of Service, we will continue to support the Skyward Drone Management Platform through June 30, 2022, at which point users will no longer have access. Rest assured that Verizon is committed to data security and privacy. All customer data in Verizon systems will be handled in accordance with Verizon’s data privacy and document retention policies. We will send you more details very soon.

We have appreciated your partnership over the years, and all the groundbreaking innovation you’ve helped us accomplish. You, our customers, have been our greatest partners and allies. Sincerely, thank you for partnering with us to change the drone industry and take drone operations to new heights.

We hope Verizon can continue to serve you for years to come.

Sincerely,
Skyward, A Verizon company