Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We have a software license for Pix4D now, and I'd like to test out some processing with a gopro.

Anyone have a drone with a gopro that would like to send me some files? Easiest way would be to take a 360degree video of an object (house, car, etc).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
FYI

http://www.popsci.com/faa-says-all-o...bruary-19-2016

Any drone weighing more than (1/2 lb) needs to be registered, the FAA announced today. The registration is a new statutary requirement, and the FAA says all drones owned before December 21st, 2015 must be registered by February 16th, 2016, while all drones purchased after December 21st must be registered before their first flight outdoors. Drone pilots who fail to register could face up to $27,500 in civil penalties, with criminal penalties for failure to register including fines of up to $250,000 and/or up to three years of imprisonment.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
It's a real shitshow, and likely just an attempt to get some sort of semblance of control before the Christmas rush. From what I've seen. This still only applies to hobbyist. Commercial operators still need an exemption 333.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's a real shitshow, and likely just an attempt to get some sort of semblance of control before the Christmas rush. From what I've seen. This still only applies to hobbyist. Commercial operators still need an exemption 333.
Maybe people will finally start to realize 99% of what government does is entirely for show?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anything specific I need with it? Any model is a must have?
Either of the top 2 models are fine. Really, you're just paying extra for different camera features. If you just want something to fly around and take pictures, get the basic model.
If you're a semi-pro photographer, compare the camera specs. The drone itself is all the same.

Edit: at least 1 extra battery (2 total) is pretty much a must have. 3 is ideal. The hard cases are also very nice and make it easy to grab and go. Otherwise, a top of the line tablet shouldn't be undervalued. It makes a big difference for ease of operation.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Sweet! Now read up on the pix4d capture app, and send me 500 photos.
wink.png

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Morale of the story don't need some hick (I'm a gun nut but some of the guys on my forum really are embarrassing.) using that database to shotgun the closest registered owners homes when he assumes the quad he see's in air is spying on him.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not that I agree with the implementation at the moment but it SEEMS like there's starting to be this stunning parallel between gun nuts and the anti-gun crowd and drones in that the two major groups of thought are 'ban everything no one should have them' and 'no controls I should be able to do anything FREEDOM!'.

My big issue with the FAA ruling is it's basically worthless, it's not going to help LEOs track down some idiot buzzing planes on run up and stuff like that. You know, unless they actually find you controlling it.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Plus think how often these things are sold. You trust the FAA not to fuck up keeping that thing accurate and current when a bad % of the "terror no fly list" are admitted errors.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Seriously though....send me a set of pictures and I'll make a map/3d model of whatever. I want to see how well the P3 images turn out, because the P2 kind of sucked for mapping and models.
I will do it for sure. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but they screwed up so now I might not get it until Monday and then I fly back to NC. I am hoping to get a dry run here in San Diego first without all the trees.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I will do it for sure. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but they screwed up so now I might not get it until Monday and then I fly back to NC. I am hoping to get a dry run here in San Diego first without all the trees.
Don't neglect the compass calibration, and make sure to do it in both locations if you go from SD -> NC.
Did you happen to order it from EZ drone?