Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just printed this bad boy, 1/2 size. The file is designed for 250x250 build area 3d printers and mine is 200x200. Going to see if I can slice up the file and print it full size so that the servos will fit where they're supposed to.

Took about 20 hours total, about $6 in material. :)
7eJp1YH.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Got here yesterday and made it to the convention center just before the film festival started. I was hangry and homicidal from the hordes of people on the street, and walked out as soon as I walked in, lol. I don't know how you guys live in big cities.
Anyways, I played a small 31 person tournament at caesar's last night (just to relax, hobestly) and chopped first and second place for $1500. ;) man, I miss living in a town that had nightly poker games.

Anyways, Chris Anderson is giving the keynote in 30 minutes. Time enough for a bloody Mary before I pretend to be professional.
kDrRXbZ.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
No point to this one, was just showing off my "toys" to a family friend. I really like the terrain here though. Wish I would have flown this with the high res camera.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Sounds like I'll be leaving firefighting mid-October and joining the Engineering company. -Finally- got the last thumbs-up last week.

Since the growing season is done, I've had more time to work on "fun" stuff too. I've been designing & printing a fixed wing plane that has about a 10ft wingspan. I sure as shit am not an aerospace engineer and I'm really just fucking around, but it's looking awesome so far. I hope it flies. ;)

The wings are all printed, just waiting on filament to finish the fuselage. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I ended up starting from scratch because I learned a few things in sketchup along the way, and wanted to re-do it all to drop some weight.

Here is the tail section, which should be done printing in about 2 hours.

fM6MZOj.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Current pile of test prints. The black filament is brand new and I had a lot of issues with print quality to start, but I dropped it by almost 15 degrees and it's doing a lot better now. I'm going to drop it another 5 and try to get rid of the last little bits.

kyxce14.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Put my notice in at the Fire Department this morning, starting at the Engineering company in early Nov.

Here is a bit from the job description draft, if anyone is interested.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Tracking cannabis canopy growth over time. Just started practicing this, need to figure out how to crop this point cloud in external programs.

yh9bAgX.jpg

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You mean crop the cloud? Yea, I'm just trying to do it in stuff I already use. I guess I can do it in this program though. Final flight is coming up next week, so I'll wait until I get that to work on it some more.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Tree leaves are a changing, so going to-hopefully in the next few weeks be able to run the topo of an old subdivision in my area that -hopefully - will break ground next spring, my company has been working on this site for over 30 years getting the thing approved (mostly owners fault) then appealed, then waiting for house market to change, then the concom plans expired etc. but i want to update the topo on the site with something that is more current then the STADIA topo done over 30 years ago......and waiting for the leaves to fall so i can get more "ground" shots. like how pix4d uses a double grid now for topo flights to increase accuracy.

minor isssue i have had with the ph3A is it hasn't run the updated firmware that was just released, even though i have followed all the instructions- it just won't update.

for those that do not know what stadia is..you have a 25' long "rod" and a level .
thru the level eyepiece are 3 lines with the crosshair,... middle line is the distance you read on the rod which says it is 5.62 or 15.88 or whatever distance it is from the ground to "level" on the level, then you subtract the bottom line number from the top line number to get the distance shot...

example, crosshair reading 5.62, top reading is 6.24 bottom reading 5.0 so the distance the rod is from the level is 124' (if i remember correctly we have not done a stadia topo in a couple of decades....)

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
eBee just came in last week, just got the first few flights out of the way today. Nothing really spectacular about the drone itself, but the mission planning software (eMotion) is pretty fucking awesome. Tons of great quality of life features.

I have what is probably my toughest job yet coming up in 3-4 weeks, here is a simulation of the flight itself.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This may be a tad unprofessional, but this eBee is giving me a raging boner of redwood proportions right now.

As I've said before, the results aren't any better and it doesn't really do anything that a $500 homebuild can't do....it just does everything better. So fucking easy.

Planning is easy, no battery swaps on most jobs, geotagging is a little better and takes hardly any effort, it takes fewer pictures so processing is much faster, etc.

Do like....I'm just glad it wasn't *my* $15,000.