Barry

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I only watched S1 of Dexter but I'm not getting the parallels. Thought Dexter was shit, enjoying this a lot.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The parallel is that Dexter kills people that he thinks are bad. He also doesn't want to kill anyone, but knows that he has to to satiate his inner demon.

Barry used to kill a lot of people (as a hit man). Now he doesn't want to kill anyone else, but will make an exception if you're a bad person that's also trying to kill him.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I guess if you never really paid attention to Dexter and aren't really paying attention to this they're pretty similar

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm liking this quite a bit. Way better than Silicon Valley is these days.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
well shit, I knew exactly where it was going but it's just too much uncomfort humor. The Fonz is now the star of the show

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Liking this show a lot but it is scary how accurate it portrays certain LA people...

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The parallel is that Dexter kills people that he thinks are bad. He also doesn't want to kill anyone, but knows that he has to to satiate his inner demon.

Barry used to kill a lot of people (as a hit man). Now he doesn't want to kill anyone else, but will make an exception if you're a bad person that's also trying to kill him.
I mean, show set in a glamorous town (LA vs Miami), about a guy who kills a lot of people, but doesn't really like killing people but keeps having to do it anyway. Gets involved with sorta-vapid blonde in an attempt to feel more human, has trouble being human and fitting in with other people, because he's a murder. Spends a lot of time faking being less of a psychopath.

Show has quirky musical score that hits a lot of the same notes as Dexter. Black female lead detective, etc, and just really similar cinematography. Lots of driving scenes, lots of street shots. This is obviously a bit more comedic, and I like it, but there's absolutely no way they weren't significantly influenced by Dexter. Best upgrade over Dexter is no stupid kids.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's a pretty big stretch.

Dexter was a serial killer who LOVED killing. Dexter was a complete sociopath who dated Rita for the sole purpose of appearing normal to those around him. That was the only reason he formed that relationship. All of his interactions were based off what he thought would make him appear normal. Dexter was adept at picking up on social cues and navigating his way through personal relationships. He was a good actor. Everything about him was a fabrication and deception to continue doing what he had to do. Kill. The show was a drama/thriller.

Barry is a dark comedy. It isn't slightly more comedic, it's a comedy first and foremost. Barry has sociopathic tendencies and that's about the only thing this show shares with Dexter. He doesn't kill because he likes it or because he needs to, he does it because his boss is the only person he's ever considered a friend and the only relationship he's ever formed. Barry is awkward as hell and has no social skills whatsoever. He's a fucking terrible actor. He's a complete and utter social disaster. He's closer to functional autism than he is to true sociopath. He wants real friends and real relationships and he wants to stop having to do hits. He doesn't kill for himself. He does it to please his only personal acquaintance.

Maybe in the later seasons of Dexter the character changed so much that he actually cared about people and legitimately didn't want to kill anymore (I never finished it) but if you compare S1 Dexter to S1 (so far) of Barry the two shows are nothing alike. At all.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Liking this show a lot but it is scary how accurate it portrays certain LA people...
It seems like there is going to have to be some kind of Wes Anderson thing happening at some point that digs into the humanity of some of these people or else it's just Curb Your Enthusiasm with a contract killer in place of Larry. A lot of it feels like the writers are trying to do something self deprecating but it's all just staus quo and a lot less creative than they think that it will be. That's probably just inception self deprecation after watching Barry play Blake which was a bit of writing and acting genius.

"I just thought that my guy was here to help these guys achieve a goal." Totally fucks up the tone of the whole script but it was so awesome. Being excited that second prize was a set of steak knives, I'd pay good money to see the whole script played out where Mitch and Murray's bruiser came in with that attitude. "Third prize is that you're fired but I worked out a deal..." We'd have lost two entire generations of stock brokers if Baldwin had gone the Barry route.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
bUNXwFD[1].jpg

• 1Worf

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Taylor is hilarious. His voice messages are great. Glad Barry didn't off him.

Ladro

Anomaly
I have a feeling Barry wants Taylor to take his place so he can get out of the business. Felt bad for him with his creepy I love you vibe on the blonde (forget her name)... almost. The action scene was great, the Leeroy call out was pretty funny especially after he killed everyone.