Batman: Arkham Knight

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I really liked Knight, even with the issues it had. Knight = City > Asylum = Origins imo.

I respect what Asylum did, but it's hard to go back to it now after playing City, Origins and Knight. The Joker was so good at the beginning of Asylum but lost what made him a good villain by the end of it. In City and Knight he retained it throughout.

Origins was pretty good though, I actually liked the younger Joker.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Origins was pretty good though, I actually liked the younger Joker.

I agree. Pretty sure that was Troy Baker. I dont think anybody can take the torch from Hamill, but Troy Baker did pretty fucking good in his footsteps. Nobody knocked him on it. I also enjoyed the *idea* of a younger angrier, less restrained Batman. I'm not as well versed in his entire canonical timeline, and how composed he was at that age, so I'm sure that may upset some, but I really enjoyed what they attempted. Really the only thing that was off, as stated earlier was the Bane fight. That shit was annoying.

For me, at least from a *gameplay* perspective, it was City/Knight==Origins/Asylum. I know. Heresy. But I played Asylum last, so it feel really restricting to me. I'm sure if I played in order I'd have Asylum as #1, but playing in 2017 felt a little dated.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I agree. Pretty sure that was Troy Baker. I dont think anybody can take the torch from Hamill, but Troy Baker did pretty fucking good in his footsteps. Nobody knocked him on it. I also enjoyed the *idea* of a younger angrier, less restrained Batman. I'm not as well versed in his entire canonical timeline, and how composed he was at that age, so I'm sure that may upset some, but I really enjoyed what they attempted. Really the only thing that was off, as stated earlier was the Bane fight. That shit was annoying.

For me, at least from a *gameplay* perspective, it was City/Knight==Origins/Asylum. I know. Heresy. But I played Asylum last, so it feel really restricting to me. I'm sure if I played in order I'd have Asylum as #1, but playing in 2017 felt a little dated.
Yes that was troy baker. A lot of people were kind of upset, not really at troy though, because hamil IS the definitive joker and he wasn't even asked to be in it.

BUT troy did talk a bunch about how mark hamil made him fall in love with the joker and his performance was clearly a love letter to him

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Knight has the best gameplay and level design, and I'd probably give it best general aesthetics as well, but it overused the Batmobile, had a lack of good boss fights, and had some story issues (it would've hung together a lot better is Jason Todd had been mentioned in any game prior to this one, so that they didn't need to just dump his whole backstory into this game to make the reveal work).

Origins has the best story and boss fights, but the level design (at least for the parts that weren't lifted from City) was a bit meh, and of course it had the bug issues (although I picked the game up late enough that they had already put out all the patches, so the only common bug I had to deal with was the one that would break informants so that you can't interrogate them).

City was an excellent transition from the more linear metroidvania of the first game to an open world structure. The only real issue I had at the time was that the story felt like it had become a bit of a mess by the end. If they had just not had the ninjas be integral to the main story, I feel like it would've hung together a lot better.

Asylum was just an all-around good foundation for the series. I personally prefer open world to linear, and for that reason I'd probably rank it my least favorite of the bunch, but still a damn good game. It just had a couple missteps here and there (titan Joker, the Killer Croc "boss fight").

So overall, I guess I'd rank them Knight/Origins>City>Asylum. Now if we could just get someone to take Knight and Origins, smash them together, and remove a little of the Batmobile, we'd have the perfect Batman game.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I gave Knight another shot today until I got to the part where Batman is riding around in his Spider Tank blowing up other tanks, shooting at a helicopter in the sky, all while using a 60 mm vulcan cannon to shoot helicopter missiles out of the sky. Total fucking idiocy and completely opposite of what made Batman such a great character (his minimalism, subtleness, etc.), all the way down to throwing out his "No Guns" rule.

Fuck this game in its stupid fucking ass.

• 1Picard

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
what made Batman such a great character (his minimalism, subtleness, etc.)

13-07-26BANE13.jpg

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Arkham Knight just wasn't a good game. And they couldn't change the formula (As much as they tried with the Bat Mobile) to keep the game play of the series interesting/unique after Arkham City (Which I thought was the best game of the lot). They basically just tried to GTA 5 it and failed miserably with that game mechanic.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Arkham Knight just wasn't a good game. And they couldn't change the formula (As much as they tried with the Bat Mobile) to keep the game play of the series interesting/unique after Arkham City (Which I thought was the best game of the lot). They basically just tried to GTA 5 it and failed miserably with that game mechanic.

Yeah, i saw a palm tree when i was driving the batmobile up to the ramp before i launched over to the building rooftops and I was briefly reminded of GTA 5.

Of course the answer was that fans simply wanted more of the same, with just different storylines. Game mechanics and style were just fine, people just wanted more stories. All they had to do was just keep making games like City and Origins but with bigger worlds, better stories and other villains.

I would have loved a retro Batman game that had a heavy TAS feel instead of the Frank Miller feel, where all the architecture is art deco, batman isnt wearing a "liquid armor carbon triweave batsuit armor", bad guys are still wearing trenchcoats and fedoras and there's no fucking ninjas.

• 1Like