Batman: Arkham Knight

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Personally I think the difference between Asylum, Origins and City are all marginal. Personally I think Asylum > City > Origins. Others will swap City and Asylum. But they're all really good games. Knight felt lacking, though, and by far the 4th best (but still a pretty enjoyable game.)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I lost interest when i needed to get the batmobile on a roof to use the winch. Enjoyed the game before that.
Lol so like the first 15 minutes before you had to use the Batmobile on the roof with a winch?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I never played City when it first came out (didn't even own it due to bad feedback) but got it for free so figured why not. The combat system is nearly identical but timings and gadgets are slightly different... City has a slight edge here. But the actual world, writing, etc. of Origins is way more enjoyable than City. At least it was for me.

A working version of Knight would probably be more fun still but even with minimal slowdown when I played it, bugs pretty well ruined a lot of my experiences. After finishing it I've yet to open it to see if any of the bugs are fixed, or at least the one to let me 100% my playthrough.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I must be one of the lucky few, because the game ran great from the start. I beat it and moved on long before the patch. In my opinion, troubles aside, it was as good if not better than city.
I was only able to play Knight at Mire's house until I upgraded my video card, and it wasn't until WELL after the patch that I finally completed it, but I thought the game was fantastic. I, too, think I may have enjoyed it more than City.

Edit: It's a bit unrelated, but I noticed there was an 8 gig update for Arkham Origins that downloaded recently. Anybody know what that was all about? (Haven't played it since)

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The Season of Infamy DLC was released today, and I'll be damned, it's an Arkham Knight DLC that actually seems to be worth it. It adds new side missions to the main game dealing with Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, Mr. Freeze, and Ras al Gul. I've only done the Croc mission so far, but so far it's good; the mission included a new environment, an actual boss fight, and lasted more than 15 minutes. So it's got a leg up on the other DLC-and a fair amount of the base game.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I lost interest when i needed to get the batmobile on a roof to use the winch. Enjoyed the game before that.

Thats the point where I turned it off today. It already got ridiculously cartoonish when I went to see the riddler and he had me driving on the walls on an underground riddler racetrack and popping wacky platforms out of the wall, but when i had to drive up the batmobile up on the wall i said "fuck this"

this game is like the george clooney batman movie. ridiculous, cartoonish, garish and over the top and worst of all 4 thus far

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I guess I didn’t take it that seriously. It was an enjoyable game, but I agree the story was almost like a parody of the previous games’ grim dark tones. I did like the joker angle though.

That being said, I was so pissed off about the shitty PC port that I got a full refund and bought it again at the next steam sale for like $20.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And yet for all of this totally legitimate criticism, it's still better than Origins.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I think Origins was the weakest in the Arkham series. It’s also the only one not done by Rocksteady.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Eh, while Knight is my favorite of the bunch with regards to gameplay and world design (even with them overdoing it with the Batmobile), Origins does get the tip of the hat from me for the story and the boss battles.

Now if they had just patched that fucking interrogation bug...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hardly even remember Origins and according to Steam I only have 5 achievements for it which suggests that I uninstalled it pretty early on, but the last achievement I unlocked was for defeating the Joker which seems like it would be near the end.

Suppose I should give it another try.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I dont even remember Arkham Asylum even though I played through the whole thing several times. Arkham City was a huge improvement but Origins backdrop and storytelling was the best. I liked the all snowy backdrop, and the TAS feel. If I had to rank them it would be Arkham City, then Origins, then Asylum and the Knight

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I won't argue with people who place Origins above Knight, lots of shit to pick apart with both games. Origins above Asylum?

tenor.gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I played through this one three times. The first time my save file was corrupted after the first major patch to fix everything, and I was on the last segment fighting the Arkham Knight tank. 3rd time was NG+. Nearly 100%. The poison ivy plot was one of my favorites of the series, along with the Joker mind fucking. The main villain was predictable, though the Scarecrow filled in well enough.

Dunno why I enjoyed this one the best, likely all the platforming requirements. I'm sure a lot of folks didn't get enjoyment out of the Catwoman or Riddle scenarios, but those were fun to me. And the Azrael challenges, especially the last one was incredibly hard and rewarding.

Knight, City, Asylum, Origins for me. I'm sure I woulda liked Origins more if the game didn't run like trash and crash all the goddamn time when I was playing it. Also, I received two physical copies of the game to start, the first copy didn't have a game code, and then neither did the second. I had to go through some hoopla with the game company to get them to issue me a code. Like they really didn't want me playing the game. Conversely, everyone seemed to have issues playing Knight on PC, but it ran amazing on my system.

Also, with the way you could travel around in Knight made me really hopeful for a Superman Metropolis or Green Lantern game. Hell, even the Flash might be an interesting redesign. At this point I'd just take another of anything in this genre in the DC universe.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I enjoyed this one as well. 100%ed it twice. My ranking would be City/Asylum/Knight/Origins.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finished playing through Origins again, I remembered all of it so I guess the achievements were bugged the first time I played through. Uninstalled as soon as I finished, really didn't care to grind the extras.

My main problem with Origins is that it's largely just Arkham City again, and I already thought City wasn't as good as Asylum. City was an improvement in some ways and a lot more ambitious, but I feel like it was a step backwards overall. The brief swaps to Catwoman were really cool but they were so short that it felt kinda phoned in. Group combat got tedious in the late game with so many different types of enemies and city travel was a pain in the ass too with armed thugs on every other roof. Origins made both of those problems worse (Snipers everywhere in addition to the normal armed thugs) but hand to hand was completely trivialized by the shock gloves.

Overall I feel like Knight is a better Batman game than Origins, although I concede that due to how over the top the Batmobile is, it really isn't an Arkham game anymore.

Oh and Origins just reaffirms my belief that Bruce is a total sociopath who is really no better than the Joker. At first maybe it was about 'doing the right thing' and winning over Gordon, but at some point it definitely becomes more about 'not letting Joker win' and his obsession with not letting Joker 'win' makes him directly responsible for the thousands of people Joker has killed over the years. Any sane person would have killed him, but at the very least STOP SAVING HIS FUCKING LIFE.

• 1Solidarity