Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think they'll reevaluate the direction they are going with their franchise. Sure it's gonna make lots of money, but with the sharp decline, it looks like it won't make 1B worldwide and maybe not 350M domestic, and those numbers are way below expectation. There was talk of 1.5-2B expection, and it's gonna fail that by a lot. With how much it made in the first weekend and the sharp decline due probably to bad reviews, bad word of mouth and not many second viewings, they know they might not get away with a bad movie pulling those numbers again.

They don't have to go the same route as Marvel, being different is ok...but they will definitely look at what went wrong. The big opening weekend shows that there is interest in a DC cinematic universe, they just need to find the right tone for it.
The movie companies can measure social media sentiment. Deadpool's score was overwhelmingly positive, which is why that movie cost 50m and brought in over 750m +. BvS' was overwhelmingly negative, which is why the movie cost 400m, but will have problems cracking 1B. They've got to make better stories, other than to have Superman and Batman running around looking like a couple of assholes.

There is "good" water cooler talk, and "bad" water cooler talk.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really don't get lex in this at all. You hate superman because he basically is god so you create something about equally as powerful and unleash it. Best case scenario for him would be crazy monster kills all the heroes but now just keeps getting stronger and stronger until nothing is left. In this scenario that played out okay he kinda got his objective but rang the dinner bell and again as a super smart villain how does this get him anything other than a worse mess than he already has to deal with. I never saw lex luthor as random as the joker but thats about the only way anything he does in the movie makes a lick of sense.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm assuming that he felt that mixing his blood in with the DNA would allow him to control it. Where he got that idea, they didn't say, but that was the implication I got from it.

EDIT: This is in no way defending the retarded decision, just saying that I believe that is what he was thinking. This movie was still shit, and Eisenberg was the shittiest part of the shitfest.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's not that public opinion of the movie is overwhelmingly negative... It's that is overwhelmingly "meh." Honestly, most of the word of mouth reviews I've heard have been along the lines of "I didn't hate it." That's not the kind of word of mouth you want from a tentpole movie like this.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Looks like 5th largest 2nd weekend drop in history behind three twilight movies and deathly hallows part 2. unless it turns around, estimates are looking at 350-360m domestic and potentially <1 bil worldwide. if that holds true its yet another flop for zack Snyder and dc
That's not even remotely true. Maybe you heard that stat and missed the part about it being something like 5th biggest for 100M+ openings. But for all movies? Nope.

Biggest Second Weekend Drops at the Box Office

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
At the end of the year I'm sure BVS is going to make it's money, between domestic, international and all the toys, somehow it will do just fine. Will it do Marvel money probably not but the amount of folks who want this to fail is beyond me.
Yeah after DVD/Bluray, cable/network/TV syndication, toys, licensing, sure, they'll make money. We hashed this out a few pages back regarding man of steel, same story here.

But just like Man of Steel which flopped in the box office, if this movie stays on it's current course and hits 350m domestic, <1b ww, it's theatrical run will also lose money for the studio. It cost 400mil to make and market in the US, at minimum another 100mil for international marketing. It can potentially break even if it hits 1bil WW, but it needs far more of than 350mil of that 1bil to be domestic vs international in order to do so.

The 10-day total for this film is only 23mil more than Deadpool. Even though it made over 30mil more opening weekend. The title bout between the two most iconic, well known super heroes in existence vs a Rated R, No 3D, relatively unknown character, spin off from X-Men Origins: Wolverine.....from fucking Fox. let that sink in for a minute.

That's not even remotely true. Maybe you heard that stat and missed the part about it being something like 5th biggest for 100M+ openings. But for all movies? Nope.

Biggest Second Weekend Drops at the Box Office
yeah I meant for blockbusters (100m+ openings). Obviously shitfest arthouse films that release in 10 theatres nationwide and all 19 fans watch it the first weekend will have bigger drops.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
yeah I meant for blockbusters (100m+ openings). Obviously shitfest arthouse films that release in 10 theatres nationwide and all 19 fans watch it the first weekend will have bigger drops.
There's easily 30+ films on that list before BvS that aren't arthouse films. BvS had a shitty second weekend so you don't need the hyperbole.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Supposedly, at the current rate this movie is falling off, this may not break $1 billion. No one wants to see that shitfest again. People went for the fight, now that they've seen it, the only thing left are the nuances of the story they missed. Only the story was so bad.

I expected this to do $1B+, but I also thought it would have an RT score of 70+, and not 29.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Decent article, WB seems to have a very weak creative dept, greenlighting some absolute dog shit. Is anyone really looking for another Peter Pan movie or Wachowski borefest at this point?

Giving the Wachowski's money is like feeding a chimpanzee a red hot curry then wondering why he shits all over you.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't realize they were making a Jungle Book, unless they absolutely nail it they probably want as much time between the Disney version about to come out and theirs anyways.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I didn't realize they were making a Jungle Book, unless they absolutely nail it they probably want as much time between the Disney version about to come out and theirs anyways.
They had already made sure of that. It's slated for 4Q 2018.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Decent article, WB seems to have a very weak creative dept, greenlighting some absolute dog shit. Is anyone really looking for another Peter Pan movie or Wachowski borefest at this point?

Giving the Wachowski's money is like feeding a chimpanzee a red hot curry then wondering why he shits all over you.
This is what I don't get. It's one thing to make a gamble on one thing and it not to pay off, but it's like the WB execs watch these movies and all think they're good so they keep green lighting them.

Or maybe exactly zero of them have seen one of their own or competitors movies.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
WB added 2 untitled DC films, one for 2018, one for 2019. Probably the Batfleck solo films.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, at $682.9 million that's a pretty steep hill to $1b.

After ??~Batman vs. Superman??T Letdown, Warner Bros. Will Reportedly Release Fewer Films

WB reportedly slowing their tempo of movie releases as a result.
Yeah, there were some debates on here about profit...Now, I'm not sure if this industry works like most, I know Hollywood is kind of odd; but if it does, people need to remember there are many other considerations outside of raw profit. Like the fact I'm positive there are a team of actuaries there that have put projections and values on these franchises, so even a profit can be very disappointing compared to what a franchise SHOULD make relative to the market, given it's name recognition and typical draw. In addition, they have to judge their investments compared to what they could have made putting the money elsewhere; so even if you turn a profit, if it's not higher than how comparative investments are doing, its still a loss, technically--it's never about how much you made, it's about how much youcould have made.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Unfathomable that a movie that has made almost 700 million dollars world wide could be a potential flop. On the other hand, I'm shocked that a movie this fucking horrible could make that much money in the first place.
Remember that the first Reboot Tomb Raider was a flop at 4 million copies sold. Companies have no sense of perspective.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unfathomable that a movie that has made almost 700 million dollars world wide could be a potential flop. On the other hand, I'm shocked that a movie this fucking horrible could make that much money in the first place.
When you spend 400m on a movie, and you have to share your box office revenues with partners, then it all adds up. It's not like the 700m goes directly into their pockets.