Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just watched the extended/ultimate whatever edition and it really doesn't change my opinion on the movie overall. It probably did flow a little better, but it still has all of the flaws that have been pointed out many times in the thread. On the scale of all movies ever, it's not exactly horrendous, but compared to the movies Marvel has put out in recent years it's not good.
The reviewers said it filled some of the plotholes, but was still gloomy and didn't give Wonder Woman any more background or speaking lines. I guess I'll see. I don't have time to sit three hours right now.

spronk

FPS noob
There's a 1080p on torrents now.
1080p web-dls are poorer quality compared to 720p usually. The batman one for example is 6.5 gigs, compared to 5.5 gigs for the 720p web-dl. Thats double the number of pixels to encode, but only adding one gig?

With a few minor exceptions, 99% of web-dl's are better quality when you download the 720p version. The technical reason is that iTunes streams both at the same bitrate, I believe currently 5mb/s. Amazon streams its stuff at 10mb/s. To give an example, here is a 720p compared to a 1080p, you can notice the minor differences on the face - the 1080p is "smoothed" out (mouseover = 1080p, mouse out = 720p)
Mr Robot S01e07 : Screenshot Comparison

Whenever possible I prefer to wait for blu ray rips of movies I really want to see, like I'm waiting for 1080p blu rays of Civil War, Hardcore Henry, etc because those are movies I wanna see. B v S I'm pretty meh about so watching on web-dl wasn't a big issue to me.

When you start watching on a 4k TV, the upscaling and color differences become very noticable between 720p web-dl, 1080p web-dl, and 1080p blu ray. I'm loving the new 4K rips from Netflix too, although the sizes are becoming insane. Like 20 gigs for a single hour of 264, although at x265 it shrinks by 50% or more.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched this on Yifitv. I can see why people complained about flow. I cannot imagine how it was for theatrical release as even the long version had some skips. However, it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. By far the worst part was how Lex Luthor was portrayed. Marvel clearly does the Super Hero better with story and the way it is portrayed. I have seen worse super hero movies, so not a waste of time. The effects were nicely done and I actually enjoyed the arternate angle to the Superman movie in the beggining.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah I don't think it's complete shit or anything, it just doesn't compare well to most of Marvel's lineup over the last however many years.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Watched the extended version last night (never saw the theatrical version). I don't think it was a bad movie, just annoying at times. other times just WTF? you can't hold your breath and you know take two steps to the left or right? Anyhow, I take these things into context, It's not on par with Marvel and I already don't like the dude playing the flash for whatever sequel is in the works.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Plot was slow and meandering for sure.
Also didn't like them killing off Supes, since I like Henry Cavil.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally watched this movie. Now granted, I haven't read a ton of comics so some of this was new to me. For example I never knew that Gotham and Metropolis were on either side of a bay of water from each other until I watched this movie. When they were on top of the Lexcorp building in Metropolis and looked right over and saw the bat signal in Gotham, it took it a while to sink in for me that the two cities are only a couple miles apart.

Also no clue on the alien thing holding the rubiks cubes at the end, was that some kind of distress beacon?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Finally watched this movie. Now granted, I haven't read a ton of comics so some of this was new to me. For example I never knew that Gotham and Metropolis were on either side of a bay of water from each other until I watched this movie. When they were on top of the Lexcorp building in Metropolis and looked right over and saw the bat signal in Gotham, it took it a while to sink in for me that the two cities are only a couple miles apart.

Also no clue on the alien thing holding the rubiks cubes at the end, was that some kind of distress beacon?
It not always, sometimes its Delaware, sometimes Metropolis is in the Mid West, sometimes its New York. Recently Gotham and Bludhaven were the cities who were next to each other.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Watched the extended version last night and never saw the full theatrical version so can't really compare, but the movie was 'aight I guess, particularly in the context of couch watching. I probably would have been disappointed/bored if I had to watch it in the theater.

Batfleck was surprisingly decent
I can't stand Henry Cavill-- I don't know if it's the acting or the mundane simplistic dialogue they give him, but he just comes off as a musclebound dolt with two facial expressions-- constipated and perplexed.
Gal was a serviceable Wonder Woman I guess. Hard to tell since she had such a small role. She's got the moves and is marginally better than Cavil at acting, but she's got too much of that anorexic model look going. She needs to bulk up.
Lex Luthor was just plain awful

There were some really terribad scenes such as Luthor just being given command of the ship simply by being present. Or how Supes/Batman go from enemies to instant friends in a heartbeat.

Question:

Did they really kill off Superman for good? As in no more Superman movies?

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Watched the extended version last night and never saw the full theatrical version so can't really compare, but the movie was 'aight I guess, particularly in the context of couch watching. I probably would have been disappointed/bored if I had to watch it in the theater.

Batfleck was surprisingly decent
I can't stand Henry Cavill-- I don't know if it's the acting or the mundane simplistic dialogue they give him, but he just comes off as a musclebound dolt with two facial expressions-- constipated and perplexed.
Gal was a serviceable Wonder Woman I guess. Hard to tell since she had such a small role. She's got the moves and is marginally better than Cavil at acting, but she's got too much of that anorexic model look going. She needs to bulk up.
Lex Luthor was just plain awful

There were some really terribad scenes such as Luthor just being given command of the ship simply by being present. Or how Supes/Batman go from enemies to instant friends in a heartbeat.

Question:

Did they really kill off Superman for good? As in no more Superman movies?
they left it open at the very last nanosecond of the movie with the dirt rising from the coffin, so I doubt he's really really dead

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You'd have to be really silly to believe that is permanent.
I didn't notice the "rising earth" part, and in the absence of any other implied rez methods it was the only thing I could conclude. If Supes can self-rez through regen, then by that logic Zod shouldn't have been permanently dead either

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wish they took the time to do the Reign of the Supermen and introduce Steel, Cyborg Superman, Superboy and Eradicator before going into the Return of- arc.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I didn't notice the "rising earth" part, and in the absence of any other implied rez methods it was the only thing I could conclude. If Supes can self-rez through regen, then by that logic Zod shouldn't have been permanently dead either
He's also in the concept art for Justice League.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Inverse of:

rrr_img_136370.jpg

Jait

Molten Core Raider
This was such a bad movie none of you watched the ending? Apokolips. Heartbeat.

I mean shit there was even a scene an hour in with Darkseids army helping evil Superman.