Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah it was Lost tier on the number of times two characters could solve 99% of their problems with a 30 second conversation but chose instead to just fight

I guess in Snyder's world the only time you can talk is at a dinner party

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Comic chars and movie chars are not quite the same.
Yeah, it's something the MCU did correctly--they homogenized the power levels somewhat, but kept them in the relative order they should be in within the comics. So no questions that Thor and Hulk are the strongest avengers, but they aren't that absurdly stronger than it would be unfathomable for the rest of the avengers to even put up a fight against them.

Snyder really could helped his universe out had he done this with superman. Establish his powers at the start as being weaker than the comics, like directly after crisis. Most comic fans, I think, would have been fine with Superman being about Thor MCU power levels; have him fly through a building and look like it actually, really, hurts him. He'd still be super powerful, but the fans would get a sense he's mortal.

God tier superman was always dumb. Writers need to draw on the fact that Superman's powers have fluctuated quite a bit. Just make the relative pecking order the same, and people won't care.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>

I'm not crazy about the speaker, but he makes an interesting suggestion: It would be profitable for DC to release Batman and Superman into the public domain.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yes there are a ton of copyright laws that the media industry has destroyed over the last few decades very quietly.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
It's mostly Disney's fault, although I suppose if it hadn't been them it would have been someone else.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Thor isn't that strong. I heard he can't even beat hercules in an arm wrasslin match.

And who was it that said wolverine can die? How do you get that (at least from the movie universe)? Unless you're counting it as a death when he regenerates right away and comes back to life.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm not crazy about the speaker, but he makes an interesting suggestion: It would be profitable for DC to release Batman and Superman into the public domain.
Well, it's not a sure thing that releasing it is better for DC...But itcouldbe (What the guy doesn't account for is DC shitting the bed, more, while some other huge group/company does REALLY well with it for a decade or so and becomes known for being the "canon" Batman/Superman, which can happen--so making legally enforced monopoly based profits is certain more reliable than gambling on others increasing the value of the IP while you get a spike because you're seen as the "true" version of it). However, it's certainly better for the IP itself, and for the public. Our current Copyright laws are really fucking stupid.

Like Axarnar vs Paramount ST? That kind of competing production should be the norm, we should have multiple studios competing to make versions of Straw Trek, and what decides who gets rich shouldn't be government enforced monopoly but rather who makes the best product. JJ Abrams Star Wars Trek should compete with a more Sci Fi trek and a more Political Thriller Trek. People can support what they want to see in a universe they love. They shouldn't have to go only see one because some company is making money of a dead man's ideas.

People often forget that Copyright IS a compromise between the public (Ownership) and anti-monopoly practices and IP creators. You'd never even dream of a company being able to tell you that you can't modify your physical property and then sell it. We don't allow monopolies in most cases (Except here where we force one). You accept that loss of ownership, and that public competition, over IP stuff because its so easily copied and you want to encourage its creation. The ability to copy the idea and produce it would make individual innovators susceptible to being driven out the markets they create by large capital, thanks to the realities of distribution (I'm sure publishing companies would love to be able to not sign artists and just take their shit heh). (Which is the same reason we have patents, really, Copyright was supposed to be even easier to get since Copyright works have no value except people's interest in them)

However, that compromise? Is only supposed to offer enough enrichment to make inventing and creating worthwhile. 50 years or the liftetime of the Author+20, whichever comes first (Long enough that it's a lot more enticing for capital to work with the author, rather than wait for it to expire, OR to allow the author to make money slowly off the idea)? Way more than enough. Our current copyright laws are ridiculous and hampering our economy.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Well, it's not a sure thing that releasing it is better for DC...But itcouldbe (What the guy doesn't account for is DC shitting the bed, more, while some other huge group/company does REALLY well with it for a decade or so and becomes known for being the "canon" Batman/Superman, which can happen--so making legally enforced monopoly based profits is certain more reliable than gambling on others increasing the value of the IP while you get a spike because you're seen as the "true" version of it). However, it's certainly better for the IP itself, and for the public. Our current Copyright laws are really fucking stupid..
Agreed. I think the idea is if the properties were public domain, DC would have no choice but to up their game. Instead of making decisions on what they (often incorrectly) assume will net them a bigger profit, they'd have to focus more on creativity and respect for the franchise, since that's what they'd be competing against. And they'd have a huge advantage, since they have millions to invest and their choice of the cream of the crop as far as creative talent is concerned. It's probably a naive idea overall, but I'm getting a little tired of copyright law being continuously manipulated just so the franchises we love can keep getting shit on.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I saw this movie finally. Other than making an affront of everything superman and batman stand for, it wasn't bad.
Superman will never kill an innocent human, and batman was very unprepared for the battle.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

What a naive video, and waste of time. Here's an idea, if he's so sure the creative team is at fault, replace the creative team.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, it's not a sure thing that releasing it is better for DC...But itcouldbe (What the guy doesn't account for is DC shitting the bed, more, while some other huge group/company does REALLY well with it for a decade or so and becomes known for being the "canon" Batman/Superman, which can happen--so making legally enforced monopoly based profits is certain more reliable than gambling on others increasing the value of the IP while you get a spike because you're seen as the "true" version of it). However, it's certainly better for the IP itself, and for the public. Our current Copyright laws are really fucking stupid.

Like Axarnar vs Paramount ST? That kind of competing production should be the norm, we should have multiple studios competing to make versions of Straw Trek, and what decides who gets rich shouldn't be government enforced monopoly but rather who makes the best product. JJ Abrams Star Wars Trek should compete with a more Sci Fi trek and a more Political Thriller Trek. People can support what they want to see in a universe they love. They shouldn't have to go only see one because some company is making money of a dead man's ideas.

People often forget that Copyright IS a compromise between the public (Ownership) and anti-monopoly practices and IP creators. You'd never even dream of a company being able to tell you that you can't modify your physical property and then sell it. We don't allow monopolies in most cases (Except here where we force one). You accept that loss of ownership, and that public competition, over IP stuff because its so easily copied and you want to encourage its creation. The ability to copy the idea and produce it would make individual innovators susceptible to being driven out the markets they create by large capital, thanks to the realities of distribution (I'm sure publishing companies would love to be able to not sign artists and just take their shit heh). (Which is the same reason we have patents, really, Copyright was supposed to be even easier to get since Copyright works have no value except people's interest in them)

However, that compromise? Is only supposed to offer enough enrichment to make inventing and creating worthwhile. 50 years or the liftetime of the Author+20, whichever comes first (Long enough that it's a lot more enticing for capital to work with the author, rather than wait for it to expire, OR to allow the author to make money slowly off the idea)? Way more than enough. Our current copyright laws are ridiculous and hampering our economy.
My main problem with this... can you imagine how many reboots we'd have in this world of EVERYONE gets to make a movie from an established IP? I mean, yeah the idea of competition can bring out the best, but it also brings out a TON of knockoffs just trying to make a quick buck. There's already a movie studio that makes crappy knockoffs, do you want more?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's already a movie studio that makes crappy knockoffs, do you want more?
No. You'd have the company doing their big budget movie, and then movies made on $10 and released at the same time. It would dilute quality even further.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
replace the creative team.
replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.replace the creative team.

Siliconemelons

To do what that vid suggests they do not fully need to make them public domain, they could use a creative commons license - then the risks as explained above would be mitigated. They could make it "you can use superman as a character with the restrictions of, origin is X, this is Y etc. etc." so they always have control and IP rights over the core and expansion of said core information/IP - really how it is now, as everything can be licensed, a CC license just pre-explains and defines everything and puts it out there for anyone to use.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
My main problem with this... can you imagine how many reboots we'd have in this world of EVERYONE gets to make a movie from an established IP? I mean, yeah the idea of competition can bring out the best, but it also brings out a TON of knockoffs just trying to make a quick buck. There's already a movie studio that makes crappy knockoffs, do you want more?
This happens already, and it's not an issue. With youtube reviews and the like, the good stuff will rise to the top and the bad stuff won't. There is still a huge barrier to entry, the cost of getting a national release is enormous. Every once in a while you'll get a CGI stinker like gods of egypt, but those are pretty easy to spot from genuinely well crafted pieces.

So sure, I want more. I want Axanars competing with Star Trek Beyond. I want them to compete on quality and on the price of access to the film (Downloads ect). And then I get to reward who is better with my money. Right now, if I want a Star Trek fix, Paramount has me over a barrel, which sucks because I don't like their Star Wars version of Star Trek (They are fun movies, but I enjoy the Sci Fi elements more). As a fan, I should have access to a full range this long after the author has died.