Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just rewatched it again, and tried to do so subjectively. Poor dialogue, choppy editing along with Eisenberg are what doomed this movie. That and Batman being way too brutal.

The outlines of a good movie are there, but lost in implementation. But at least it was beautiful.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The entire 14 seconds of Aquaman was terrible, i ended up seeing this again today due to it being someones birthday and i cringed at every dam dream sequence. I groaned when Clark was mountain climbing and there was no cold from the breath of him nor his father. I still think the action was ok, wonder woman was ok - i mean honestly the characters didnt bother me but everything else did. People need to get over Batman killing people - 20 years of fighting and he realized its quicker to kill than subdue - bravo!

I think Lex is the only actual thing id have completely rewritten - Change Lex, remove stupid dream sequences, switch out odd changes in music from hans to whoever the fuck else they inserted and have WW use lasso more.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
God damn I wish we could just clone Chris Reeve. Why is every fucking comic book character dark and gritty now? For Batman it makes sense, but Superman? *sigh* And yeah, I get that now days you can't have a super campy Superman like Reeve's movies were, but the character doesn't have to be so grim. Superman should be a good, charming, and sometimes even witty.

Maybe one day we'll get a good Superman again. But I have a feeling it's going to be a long time.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah if you're pining away for another whitebread take on Superman you should probably just pass on all of the live action depictions of him going forward. They're not gonna take the character back there.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
superman doesn't need to be campy. but he definitely needs to be much more stark contrast to batman. i mean, lex even says it, "Day vs Night." except they're both night. i was watching the redlettermedia review last night and they really pointed out how just... bitter superman is. they go through this montage of superman saving people from floods and exploding rockets and the music mixed with the camera angles and slow mo just come across as superman being so burdened to save people. he's like, "well, maybe if i save some people and stop some disasters maybe these morons will stop hating on me."

also, nitpicking but i forgot about how hard i laughed in the theatre when everyone is blaming superman for killing all those people in the dessert. first off, guns. they had bullet holes in them. why would superman use guns? also, superman is all, "I didn't kill anyone!!!" no, you didn't. well... except for that one dude who had Lois that you charged at superspeed and pushed him through a couple buildings. best case scenario? you broke his neck from whiplash. worst case scenario? you turned him into paste. yes, superman. you killed him.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
But at least it was beautiful.
I will agree on this. There are some really nice shots. Bat suit was great and the overall look of Superman is about as good as its going to get (though Cavil needs to smile. If for nothing else to show show confidence and prove he's not a robot). Like or hate new 52, I do like WW'S costume with the silver trim instead of the gold. Her costume in BvS is too drab and makes her look like Xena. Retcon Lex, lighten up Sups after he comes back and fix the color palette and you're right back on track.

Though they REALLY need someone in charge of all the movies like Marvel has in Feige.

Devlin

Golden Squire
To be fair he didn't have much to smile about in BvS, his big coming out involved thousands of people dying and people are talking about him 24/7.

There were a couple of jokes in the movie but the overall tone was obviously very dark, the blue filter they use doesn't help one bit.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
15.3M friday. Low 50s weekend. Bad drop even with last week being easter weekend. DC should take notice now.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Friday estimates show this dropping more than 82% for its second friday. They may shift upwards, but otherwise this does not bode well at all for any kind of staying power. If it maintains this course it may not even beat deadpool.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm about to go watch Deadpool for the second time, and I haven't (and won't) see this one in the theater.

themoreanecdotesyouknow.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I think Lex is the only actual thing id have completely rewritten - Change Lex
The announcement of Jesse Eisenberg being cast as Lex Luthor is one of the things that turned me off to going to see this in the theater. I simply can't envision him doing a good job in the role. That said, they don't necessarily have to rewrite him. There is an angle they could use to replace him beyond just straight out recasting him (which isn't likely to happen).

He's Lex Jr and from what I understand they didn't really indicate if his father was dead or alive in BvS. They could always have dear old dad show up to show Jr how it's done.

One thing I've heard is that Eisenberg was originally going to audition for both Jimmy Olsen and The Riddler and when they offered him the part of Lex he insisted on sticking with the persona he had worked on for The Riddler and they just went with it and didn't have The Riddler make an appearance.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Watched this last night.. Actually quite enjoyed it despite how must of a mess it is.. individually most of the scenes were great, they just appeared to but cut together from what should have been 2-3 different movies.

Wonderwoman was pretty badass and seemed to be the only one really capable of fighting Doomsday.. should have just given her the spear!

What does it mean that they cast such a notable actor (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as Thomas Wayne? It's odd to cast someone like that for a 20 second scene.. is there some comic story where he comes back from the dead and/or isn't dead so they might re-use him?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The entire 14 seconds of Aquaman was terrible, i ended up seeing this again today due to it being someones birthday and i cringed at every dam dream sequence. I groaned when Clark was mountain climbing and there was no cold from the breath of him nor his father. I still think the action was ok, wonder woman was ok - i mean honestly the characters didnt bother me but everything else did. People need to get over Batman killing people - 20 years of fighting and he realized its quicker to kill than subdue - bravo!

I think Lex is the only actual thing id have completely rewritten - Change Lex, remove stupid dream sequences, switch out odd changes in music from hans to whoever the fuck else they inserted and have WW use lasso more.
But they REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted Batman in the Batman #666 costume!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Watched this last night.. Actually quite enjoyed it despite how must of a mess it is.. individually most of the scenes were great, they just appeared to but cut together from what should have been 2-3 different movies.

Wonderwoman was pretty badass and seemed to be the only one really capable of fighting Doomsday.. should have just given her the spear!

What does it mean that they cast such a notable actor (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as Thomas Wayne? It's odd to cast someone like that for a 20 second scene.. is there some comic story where he comes back from the dead and/or isn't dead so they might re-use him?
I don't really think it means anything other than he's am important character for Bruce, so he should stick out in our minds. Getting a notable actor for a small role will do that.

However, to answer your other question, there is a recent comic arc called flashpoint, where the flash goes back in time to stop his mother's death when he was a kid. Butterfly effect causes a ton of unrelated changes. One of those is that instead of Bruce's parents being gunned down, Bruce is the one who dies. Thomas becomes Batman and Martha becomes joker. It's pretty interesting but didn't take up much of the overall story. The bigger part here is that Batman (Thomas Wayne) has NOOOO issues with killing people. Ben affleck played a GREAT Thomas Wayne Batman

Rerun

Molten Core Raider
From reading this thread I was worried this would be Green Lantern bad. It was a mess, but a really watchable mess.
As an elseworlds it was pretty good.