Battlefield 4 (Frostbite 3)

spronk

FPS noob
anyone else who ordered from amazon (had some GCs to burn) an amazon rep confirmed on reddit that preload codes should go out on Oct 26th, so you can preload over the weekend yay

I updated to windows 8.1 but heard some people are reporting mouse lag issues with games, hope new enough PCs don't have that problem.

the new environments look absolutely gorgeous, hopefully PC version is pretty stable

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
anyone else who ordered from amazon (had some GCs to burn) an amazon rep confirmed on reddit that preload codes should go out on Oct 26th, so you can preload over the weekend yay

I updated to windows 8.1 but heard some people are reporting mouse lag issues with games, hope new enough PCs don't have that problem.

the new environments look absolutely gorgeous, hopefully PC version is pretty stable
What does Windows 8.1 have to do with the game? Just curious. I stayed with Windows 7 because Windows 8 blows monkey shit.

spronk

FPS noob
ymmv drivers specs etc but some people have said Win8 bench's a lot better than win7 on games, esp BF4. Which makes sense, while the Win8 stock UI is a total piece of shit there are a lot of technical under the hood improvements which make Win8 far better. Here is a snapshot of CPU/GPU load of identical machine during BF4 beta. I didn't do much research on this since my machine came with Win8 and I'm not going to uninstall it:
http://i.imgur.com/D0kur5E.jpg

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I loaded up 2142 for a round yesterday. There were only 5 servers available to me of which 3 had acceptable ping, luckily the Camp Gib map had good ping. Since I transferred my game over to Origin I lost all of my stats/kits so I started fresh. I took recon and went 7-1 or something. Biggest difference between 2142 and BF3 is the the speed of the game. 2142 felt like slow motion, which was probably why I was able to go 7-1 with a newb recon kit. I loved 2142, it is/was probably my favorite FPS of all time (only beating out Golden Eye because of online play, but I am not sure I will be playing it much. BF3 is just soon much shinier, if you know what I mean. Almost wish I didn't load up 2142 that way I could just have my rose colored glasses forever.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I for one definitely got got better performance by going from Windows 7 to 8.1. A normal play session according to Fraps with Windows 7 @2560x1600 w/gtx680 and I THINK a i73970 (at work sorry) was 44FPS. With Windows 8.1 I went to 54FPS. Yes it's on;y 8FPS, but it felt MUCH better after Windows 8.1

As for 2142...It is the best of the BF series to me. It did almost everything perfectly. The thing was that they could just make shit up for the sake of fun. I mean come on! Fuckin mechs were the baddest ass shit EVER in the BF franchise!

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I for one definitely got got better performance by going from Windows 7 to 8.1. A normal play session according to Fraps with Windows 7 @2560x1600 w/gtx680 and I THINK a i73970 (at work sorry) was 44FPS. With Windows 8.1 I went to 54FPS. Yes it's on;y 8FPS, but it felt MUCH better after Windows 8.1

As for 2142...It is the best of the BF series to me. It did almost everything perfectly. The thing was that they could just make shit up for the sake of fun. I mean come on! Fuckin mechs were the baddest ass shit EVER in the BF franchise!
Is that dealing with Battlefield 4 beta only? Or what? Everything I have heard says to stay away from Windows 8 and 8.1 if you have Windows 7 64-Bit because it isn't offering you anything you don't already have. And honestly, that coincides with every Window release. Every other is shit, and you purchase the alternate one. Windows 3.1? Great. 95, sucked. 98 SE? Great. ME? Sucked. XP? Fantastic. Vista? Sucked ass. 7? Great. 8.0? Sucks. 9.0? Probably a purchase.

Stave

Potato del Grande

I just ordered a new 3TB HD and really wanted to reload my SSD with Windows 8.1 as I will have to reload a ton of games/etc anyways, but I cannot find a cracked version anywhere. I'm assuming it's just not cracked yet. Anyone know a working source? I am too cheap to buy OS's. That mouse problem is interesting though, almost makes me want to just stay on Windows 7. And yes I hate metro and Windows 8 layout, but DX 11.1 is Win8 only and does offer some nice improvements in the back end from what I've read.

As far as BF2142, I did love the game what bit I got to play of it. It was in a hectic time of my life so I probably only played it 20 hours total. Would love to go back and play it again but also afraid of it feeling like shit after the newer BFs. Mech's, hover ships, stealth mode, and the big titan ship fights were badass. If they ever run it on sale for like $5 or something I will have to pick it up. Also I would kill for 2143. Wonder how 2142 did financially compared to other BF games, to justify them making a sequel.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Is that dealing with Battlefield 4 beta only? Or what? Everything I have heard says to stay away from Windows 8 and 8.1 if you have Windows 7 64-Bit because it isn't offering you anything you don't already have. And honestly, that coincides with every Window release. Every other is shit, and you purchase the alternate one. Windows 3.1? Great. 95, sucked. 98 SE? Great. ME? Sucked. XP? Fantastic. Vista? Sucked ass. 7? Great. 8.0? Sucks. 9.0? Probably a purchase.
Yeah this still holds true. It's strictly for BF4. Windows 8.1 offers nada over Win7 64.

sebur

Bronze Squire
For the others asking about the mouse issues, I am hearing it has something to do with raw or direct input. If the game doesn't use it I believe that it fucks with the mouse and causes it to lag as MS fucked with the DPI framework to try and improve multi monitor use.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Cancelled.

I might regret this later, but right now I feel pretty good about it.

Titanfall can't get here quick enough.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I'm just waiting for Titanfall as well. I've already played this game once. I don't feel like playing a slightly updated version.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
canceled for a game coming out in 5 months
Yes, and what Burnesto said. I usually buy an FPS on my PC with the intent to play off and on over the next year or two, but with Titanfall so close I just don't see the point.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
PS3 leak is under 10 gigs, I was expecting monster file sizes with all the talk about how good this game is gonna look. Guess that's only gonna be pc/ps4 versions.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're having mouse lag in Windows 8 you should check if there's a firmware update for your mouse. That was the issue with G500s and a few other mice.